Notices

Help

Old 02-20-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

My husband went to rehab about a week ago. We've has very little contact since which has given me time to think about a lot. During the time we've been married it's been rough. He doesn't pay attention to me, he's mean, he's pushed me and the list goes on. Now that he's in rehab I feel like this is my chance for a new beginning but I also feel he will return home a new man and im hopeful. Please help. Do I wait till he returns or do I high tail it while I have the chance
Old 02-20-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Does the rehab have a family program? Many of them do so you can learn about addiction, how it has effect you. Also Al anon meetings would be a wise choice to get to hear other peoples stories of living with alcoholics. I would caution on the feeling of he will come back a new man or fixed, this is a lifelong progressive disease. No one can tell you what you should do, we don't know the circumstances or story, I would suggest reading up and checking out the forum here on family of alcoholics.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Aicia

I don't think anyone here can make that call for you. Have you got friends or family you could discuss this with?

D
Old 02-20-2016, 11:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would see what options you have, such as counseling together. I'd take it one day at a time and see what happens after he comes home.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Aicia
Old 02-21-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Aicia!!
Old 02-21-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Well.... stay or run, either way you will need to learn about how addiction has impacted you and how to heal and move on from it if you're to have a deep and lasting relationship with anyone.... your husband or anyone else. Even yourself.

So my advice is to take this time understanding for yourself what YOU need to recover. Its not just the addict who needs support.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Welcome!

Well.... stay or run, either way you will need to learn about how addiction has impacted you and how to heal and move on from it if you're to have a deep and lasting relationship with anyone.... your husband or anyone else. Even yourself.

So my advice is to take this time understanding for yourself what YOU need to recover. Its not just the addict who needs support.
^^^ This.

Welcome to SR, Aicia.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think D's suggestion is spot on, having friends & family around you at this time will help with your decision... whatever you decide you always have us
Old 02-21-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Alicia,

I hope that you find some peace in your life.

And, please know that abuse, verbal and physical, is never okay. Take care of yourself.