Notices

It's Friday night and I'm jonesin

Old 02-19-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's Friday night and I'm jonesin

It's a difficult concept, the craving itself. I want to use, then re-focusing on something else disengages that feeling, but the distraction is fleeting. The craving seems to be forever, no matter if I sit and describe some object, or alphabetically name things in my room, or simply pray.

I honestly don't know how to escape such a powerful, everpresent urge. But I can not use again. Simple as that. Whether I am white knuckling it or at rare ease watching a movie with the wife, it just can't happen. But it might, and that scares the hell out of me.

I am mp3some, and thanks for having me.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mp3some

I think the more we deal with cravings, and the more we outlast them and find they do die off of their own accord, the easier it gets.

My advice is to stop thinking of your addiction some monster who's going to overpower you in a weak moment.

You hold all the cards here.You need to be a part of the process to get drunk or wasted. Noone else pours the drink or pills or whatever down your throat. That's your decision.

If you don't want to drink or use, you don't have to - and you will get through this

How long have you been clean/sober?

D
Old 02-19-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It won't happen if you don't let it happen. You have the power.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Friday nights are such a trigger for me - all day, every day on Friday I crave/wait for that first drink. I forced myself to come home tonight after work and got in my pajamas right away so I wasn't tempted to go back out (no alcohol in the house). It's almost bedtime here in the Midwest, and I am so so so happy I made the choice I did. I am NOT going to wake up hungover tomorrow. I feel your pain on the cravings, though. I honestly didn't know until I started visiting this site that cravings WILL go away if you ride them out. Before this site and really educating myself, I had given in and drank each and every time I had the urge.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi mp3some! Welcome.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome mp3some
Old 02-20-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi - welcome to the forum.

I found Friday nights very triggering as well. I always make sure that I go to a meeting Friday nights now - it sets me up for the weekend, and the one I've found is very sociable and full of lovely people so it's a pleasure to go along.

When I sat at home studying my cravings I was giving them more power over me. I couldn't just take alcohol away - I needed to put something else there in the gap.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mp3some!!
Old 02-20-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just wow

Thank you all so much for the outpour of support, I did not expect it. I will have to make an effort to reply to other newcomers as well with any advice I've picked up over the last 15 years of self medication.

To whom that asked, I've been clean since January 17th of this year. The first month was easy peasy, but now it's become a real cross to bear. Everyone is right, no one will force the pills down my throat.

But it is very encouraging to hear that the more I resist cravings, the less power they will have over me going forward. I surely hope that's the case, because I've not been clean (save for detox and rehab) since I've picked up. So is my first time really dealing with such hardcore cravings and having to deny them.

Thank you again for all the support, it means a lot to someone with no friends and a limited support structure. If only I could bring myself to go to meetings, but I suffer from depression, of which apathy is a large part. I also hate the cold, so winter is a rough time to get my ass up and out to a room full of strangers telling depressing stories (that's been my experience in all the 20 or so meetings I've attended).

This seems like a strong community, I was surprised to read in the rules that there are predatory folks here, which seems about as low as you can get. Maybe I'll try chat at some point.

Much appreciated
Old 02-20-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome MP3