Notices

It's Beginning To Come Together Now

Old 02-20-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow. What an inspiring post. Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Relief is a really good word for it when you know you never have to worry again what will happen the next time you drink.

Silentrun- yes, it is great to be free of that worry, isn't it.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Great post. Very inspiring and best wishes to you.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you for such an inspiring post!!!
Old 05-27-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Sometimes I feel sobriety is a lonely world. Unless someone has experienced addiction and fought their way out of it, it's impossible to comprehend. I find myself thinking at times, wouldn’t it be great to grab a coffee with someone in recovery today? This is something I am working through- perhaps I need to add some face-to-face support.

I thought I'd add an update, in case it could be of help to anyone.

So, fast forward I now have a year plus of sobriety. The last 2 months or so, I've felt a little stuck and isolated. So when I re-read my last thread, it made sense. I recently wrote also something along the lines of "having a face to face discussion with someone in recovery would be a luxury".

In addition, I've been having chirping from my AV that I could have just a drink or two. There is no way I am going back there. I've said over the past year, that if I pick up again- then I would do something other than what I'm doing for recovery. That sounds like leaving the door open for my AV and permission for me to drink again, if I'm honest. I feel bitter and ticked off a lot too lately. Clearly I have things going on I need to deal with. Danger Zone.

So after taking some suggestions, and listening to some wise members here, (and a special shout-out to my chat pal hopeful54), I decided to go to an AA Meeting.

I told myself not to think, picked a meeting close to me, drove there- and almost sprinted to the door before I could change my mind!

2 meetings later, let me tell you this is exactly what I needed. I need to do more than just quit drinking now. It has served me well, but I need more.

Relief. Just sheer relief is what I feel.

Would you believe I met someone I know (yes, I was one of us with that fear)! However, it is a blessing. We have known each other for years; we have a mutual friend who organizes Girls Nights Out. Who knew we were both sitting there in misery, putting on a game face, while secretly wondering if anyone noticed if we inhaled our first drink before anyone else even took a sip?

So, it's true- people like us are out there; and you never know who it could be. I'm working on getting a sponsor, and I will do the steps. It's time to face my demons- it is necessary for me to continue being sober, and to be happy in sobriety.

I love you guys.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great job on not getting complacent Dharma. I think the longer we stay sober, we are faced with different challenges when it comes to staying sober. Sounds like you are addressing those long-term challenges head on.

Way to go!
Old 05-27-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Rar

WOW, Dharma! What an inspiring post. Thank you so much. I really needed to read this today.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Re-Member

So glad you updated this, Dharma33, as I missed your original post while I was out wallowing in my own addiction and misery for five months there.

Good on you for doing whatever it takes to stay sober today! Glad the meetings are helping. While I don't work the steps myself, I do go to at least a couple of meetings a week. While SR in general and the awesome March 2016 class in particular are my biggest source of support today, that face to face recovery I get in AA is vital for me. Plus I love the 10th and 12th steps and 3rd and 5th traditions. They're a huge part of my recovery plan and toolbox today.

Very cool that one of your fellow Girls Night Out-ers is there as well. Us alcoholics are everywhere, in every shape and color and size and pattern.

From one May 15er to another, it makes me so happy to see you staying on this road! Gives me inspiration as I start day 76. Very proud of and happy for you.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great update Dharma - congratulations

D