Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Brain fog, mental disorientation, Dizziness - 24 days sober- Please Help

Notices

Brain fog, mental disorientation, Dizziness - 24 days sober- Please Help

Old 02-20-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shorttom88 View Post
Thank you again for your responses and input.
I will have no problem not drinking, that trip literally was my last hoorah- and of course this happened. I was supposed to go back to school ( now this happened- so if I can't think, who knows what I'll have to do now), I saved a bunch of money up- was going to buy a place, I'd been getting a couple tattoos removed that I didn't want, i just got a bunch of spots removed on my body that I had thought may have been cancerous ( turns out that were just disgusting sunspots), I got a surgery I was holding off on for awhile, I just got done with a bunch of legal issues I was dealing with the last year, etc etc...
In so many words, literally that was suppose to be my last hoorah, the culmination of a bunch of BS going on in my life, and the start of a new chapter in my life- and of course this happens. I certainly do appreciate the insight from everyone! But also, to think I may be now dealing with this for a couple years? Is very disheartening. Think I'm getting all the pieces put together- and I did, and now this. It's like, I can't get off the ground.
Like I was saying, I'm trying to do everything I can to expedite the process as far as being healthy and what not, and certainly not drinking- as was my plan before January 26th to begin with, but who knows if any of the extra effort will help or not.

For those of you who have dealt with this, were you drinking during the recovery time from when you first noticed the symptoms?
As in, for 2 years of recovery- were you still drinking a bit during those 2 years or complete sobriety? 6 months of recovery- were you drinking during those 6 months or complete sobriety?

I will be completely sober- I hope this helps my situation.
Typically when do you start to notice some gains and strides in functionality, 2-3 months? 6 months?

Do you wake up one day and just noticeably feel better? Or is it more of a gradually each day maybe feel a little better? Do you feel great and almost normal more and more often- but still have setbacks out of the nowhere ( setbacks that slowly get less and less frequent)?

Hate to pester or be an annoyance, just trying gauge as best I can what I'll be dealing with- as you can imagine. I hope with complete sobriety I will see signs of improvement within 6 months.

Sucks, this binge drinking weekends and trips have gone on through the years, and no joke Ida sworn the hangovers were getting easier, quicker, more tolerable from being use to a long weekend here or there throughout the year. And before I know it- my last one was the one that got me and screwed me. Only my luck.
I am in my 30s and healthy and experienced all the symptoms you described and understand the worry/panic and desire to know when symptoms will go away.

Like Dee, I was a binge drinker before I became an everyday drinker.

Total, and I do mean completely alcohol free, sobriety was the only way to remove these symptoms.

IF there's any glimmer of hope that you can drink again, let me be blunt: Never drink again, and never consider it. Your brain/body are suffering.

Now here's the GOOD news:

---I've read A LOT about paws, brain fog, etc and most all the research literature and personal experience report full recovery or nearly full recovery (timeline is based on your brain/body)

---Personally I found major decrease in paws symptoms when I did the following:
--Created a recovery plan (Dee really encourages recovery plans. Now I see the difference in my life and symptoms. The plan helped me (and my poor brain!) truly accept I'll never drink again.
--worked the plan
---exercise (this one REALLY helps my symptoms)
---being mindful of HALT (Google HALT and alcoholism....don't get Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired....I found a lot of my brain fog was when I was actually Hungry or Tired!!)

I never thought I'd say this, but I look back and am grateful my brain (and my God) said -- "NO MORE." I view my symptoms as a blessing that forced me to quit. I feel sorry for the alcoholic that "can" abuse their body without major symptoms.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Recovery plan helps brain

Oops!! I forgot something important for you!!!

I was sober 1.5 years without a recovery plan. Unfortunately, I had paws symptoms the entire 1.5 years, but they decreased some around 6 months. Without a plan I was still "thinking alcoholically"....I replaced drinking with other "fixes" and escapes. It's hard to describe until you create your recovery plan, but I was still in the addict mindset and had not moved on with a new life.

THIS TIME.....drumroll please!!!....I joined this site and followed Dee's advice to write a recovery plan. I decided my plan the first few weeks of sobriety and at only 5 months I would say paws is 90% gone. Unbelievable. I will have a couple moments or days sprinkled here and there but they pass and I'm clear headed, able to drive confidently, good coordination, and good focus at work. My brain moves faster again.

Everyone is different. But I attribute the positive effects on my cognition and central nervous system to having a Plan and KNOWING I'll never consume the poison again.

Three cheers for Dee. Dee, you've changed my life and helped so many here. I'm a huge fan!!

Last edited by SportsFan15; 02-20-2016 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Add emoticon
Old 02-20-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

P.s...to answer your questions in your last post...

Yes to all....ftmp

It gets better everyday. Nothing overnight really, but the gradual healing adds up and then it feels like a big change happens...e.g...sleeping soundly all the time...

Don't drink. Get over it. Turn the page. Move on. Stop forever.....etc etc.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I would say I do have a plan and am sticking to it thusfar.
Sadly, I kind of had a plan in place before that weekend ever happened. Part of it was already no more drinking. That I will certainly be sticking to, but being much better with my diet, taking my daily vitamins, forcing myself to go back to the gym and break a sweat and get my heart rate up etc., even trying to make myself socialize a bit more. Trying to put myself into more normal situations, instead of being a hermit like I was the first 20 days or so of this PAWS. trying to treat my brain right from a health standpoint, and trying to activate it a little bit by making myself use it! Even though it is completely foggy. I can't imagine sitting around and doing nothing will help activate it any.
Nonetheless, thank you all again for your help and insight.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sounds like PAWS to me. I had all that stuff and it made me freak out a lot. However, your brain just needs time to readjust its neurochemical balance (I think GABA and Glutamate are two key ones that can get out of whack when drinking a lot. Glutamate excites your brain and GABA calms it down).

Like others have said, they will adjust back to normal, it just takes some time. Just give yourself license to sleep more, go more slowly, etc. I found that helpful.

If you are having trouble sleeping, I'd check in with your doc...my lack of sleep post drinking in 2014 made things a lot worse, until I found a sleep aid.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

A plan is a lot more than not drinking, here are links to check out friend

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 02-20-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Soberwolf thanks for the links, that's good stuff.
Pure- funny thing is I've actually been sleeping pretty well, which is good. Didn't sleep too well the night I had to wear a holter monitor which my physician recommended but, other than that. Sleep has been decent.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I felt a bit better after a few weeks, much better after a few months, and by a year I felt wonderful. I had some PAWS symptoms, off and on, for a while, but that went away some time after the first year.

If you stay sober and don't notice improvement in a reasonable period of time, see your doctor for a complete checkup.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'd say through the first week, I felt a lot of disequilibrium, lightheaded, almost fainted 6-7 times. It's weird the faint feeling was more of pass-out feeling. Although I did feel light headed also, I associate light-headed with fainting.
But I infact felt like I was going to just pass out/ brain was just going to shut off, mid sentence - quite often. Not even from feeling light headed, just a feeling of brain saying no on the spot, very weird feeling. And all ther typical symptoms of initial withdrawn and PAWS- mainly brain fog. Also I couldn't really drive, I felt ok to drive maybe 10% of the time, if it were a 5 minute drive. A lot of heart pounding hard and what not also.
Through week 2, same symptoms just a bit less often, brain fog didn't ease up at all though.
Through week 3, heart stopped pounding so hard. Could drive maybe 50% of the time if it were a 10 minute drive or less. Disequilibrium, dizziness, lightheadedness, and feeling like passing out got about 50% better. Brain fog still didn't ease up at all.
Almost through week 4 of sobriety. Comfortable driving 80% of the time, up to half hour spurts. Got myself on a good vitamin supplements program. Back to eating better and forcing myself to socialize a bit and not just sit around. Made myself go to the gym 4x this week and do a full workout. Maybe 3-4 times this week I had stretches of feeling 60-70% better/normal, only to go back to feeling like a zombie most of the time. But those little glimpses of feeling kind of normal was nice. I just got a little bit ahead of myself the first time or 2 thinking, "wow I'm coming out of already" only just to go back to that zombie-like state. I don't feel off-balance/disequilibrium anymore. Don't really feel like I'm going to pass out anymore either. Maybe one time this week I got a quick half-second feeling like I might pass out, but generally speaking that and the disequilibrium have subsided. Still feel dizzy/nauseous/hot sporadically throughout the day. And hazy brain fog is still persistent throughout the day ( except for the few times this week where I felt pretty good), misplacing things, forgetting things, reading poorly, feeling like I'm in a daze etc, etc...
I may try to work in some brain-activities to maybe stimulate some progress. Sudokus or something. Maybe it'll help 'wake me up'...

So I guess from week one til now. There are things I've noticed gotten better. But as I sit here now, it's still a scary situation. There really is no cravings or anxiety for alcohol, that's not a problem. The only anxiety I have is from the uncertainty of when I will come to, from the PAWS. anywhere from 2 months to 2 years- Just that thought kind of drives me a little bit nuts. But I know I need to just be patient, can't really control it either way. I'm putting the effort in to get myself right, but it'll happen when it happens I suppose.
I mean, I don't need to be sharp as a whistle, max IQ per se, I'm sure that will take years of sobriety. It's just the 'brain-fog' and feeling like a zombie, I can't wait for it to go away.
Anyhow - Godspeed to you all on wherever you are with your circumstances, and thanks again for your help, insight, and support.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Shorttom - did you ever snap out of your fog? I'm going through the same thing right now. Id love to talk more with you..
Old 06-04-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
~sb

shorttom88 was here in April....

Last Activity: 04-27-2016 06:53 PM
Old 06-01-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Check my recent response in ' PAWS-my expereince and info', thread