Notices

Cough syrup Hycodan for an alcoholic?

Old 02-18-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cough syrup Hycodan for an alcoholic?

Hi guys,
Been down with some terrible virus the last couple days - coughing my lungs out, not able to sleep for more than a couple hours, not able to work... Went to a doctor and she prescribed Hycodan to relieve the nightmarish cough. It does not contain alcohol but contains hydrocodone.

I bought it (I hesitated but I did) and the cough is so bad and I'm tempted to use it as prescribed, but my gut says: don't do it.

Any non medical advice? Can alcoholics use that stuff? Or am I gonna risk alcohol relpase if I do?
Old 02-18-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I had pneumonia several years ago, I was prescribe codeine cough syrup. I took it as directed and had no desire to drink because of it. It helped ease my horrible coughing and allowed me to sleep so I was glad to have it.

If you use it as prescribed, I see no harm in it. If you use it as an excuse to drink again, that's on you. If you are secure in your sobriety, it shouldn't bother you to take cough medicine to ease your cough.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi IfYouCanDream - good to see you

This is difficult to answer given the no medical advice rule but I was prescribed it a while ago and the most important thing was not to consume alcohol whilst taking it.

I was consuming alcohol at the time so never completed the course but for me at least there were no issues

I hope you feel better soon
Old 02-18-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
p***enger

I dunno. I had some cough syrup w/codeine & I definitely abused it. It didn't provoke a relapse but it provoked a span of alcoholic, generally idiotic thinking that I could have done without. It worked on the cough, though.

Whatever you decide, I wish you healthy soon!

Old 02-18-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had jaw surgery and was prescribed hydrocodone. I took it for about four weeks. No problems whatsoever. It did not make me want to drink, and I never had a desire to abuse it. It got me through my pain and discomfort, which is the intended purpose.

We are, however, all wired differently. Different body chemistries. It might be a problem for some, but my particular makeup is such that it didn't trigger me.

I am nearly three years sober. Not sure if that helps.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

If its taken as directed by a Dr then I'd follow what the Dr said

Get well soon
Old 02-18-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My 2 cents

You know yourself and why you have a caution about it. For me, it would just be a substitute for the alcohol and if I took it, I would overdo it until it was gone and then regret it, just like I did with beer. It has nothing to do with the alcohol content, it has to do with how it makes you feel, a false comfort, and I'm not talking about the cough relief. Also, cough relief is nice, but you have the cough for a reason, loosening mucous and keeping your lungs clear. That little amount of alcohol will not likely make you want a drink.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for all the helpful feedback and well wishes
Old 02-18-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I know for myself I couldn't do it or maybe wouldn't want to do it. Anything mind altering is just too dangerous for me.

If some day I have to do it I will have someone else administer the medication because I don't trust myself
Old 02-18-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You know best! I have been prescribed vicodins after having my wisdom teeth out in very early sobriety. Thank god I had enough sense to not take them. I would have totally abused them (I just can't help it, I can't take them as prescribed). You could see if your doctor could call you in something else if your unsure about it. If you feel you shouldnt then your probably right. Goodluck
Old 02-18-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Does your Dr know about your alcoholism IfYouCanDream?

D
Old 02-18-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes - she has a full picture.
She didn't say that was the reason, but I suspect this is why she only gave me 60 ml to use in doses of 5 ml every 4-6 hours.

I'm not really worried about abusing the syrup itself - I just thought this would somehow wake the alkie dragon up... I don't even know where I'm taking that from, I think I either read it or heard a story of someone who had taken similar pills as prescribed and ended up picking up as a result.

My sobriety is my top priority, forgive me if I'm getting paranoid.

I'm so grateful to have you guys around to ask direction when in doubt.
I appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Hi IfYouCanDream - good to see you
Good to see you, too!
Old 02-18-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

if you can deal with those side effects, use as directed and feel better soon!!!
Old 02-18-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, that's good then. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I have had a cough where the irritation caused by coughing made the coughing worse. They aren't always productive coughs in my experience. Use as directed.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

IfYouCanDream, we are all different in what triggers us...
Worse case scenario, let say the meds wake the beast; Do you confident enough that if won't lead to a relapse?

We have to know ourselves.. Personally, I would take the cough meds as prescribed but I am not you... I am not good at being sick. I am an awful patient.

When my mum was in her 70's she broke her rib from coughing!..that was not good.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think seeing as your Drs on board I'd continue to take it as directed...if you feel like it's a danger to you at any time, you can always go back to your Doctor

D
Old 02-21-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLife90 View Post
You know best! I have been prescribed vicodins after having my wisdom teeth out in very early sobriety. Thank god I had enough sense to not take them. I would have totally abused them (I just can't help it, I can't take them as prescribed). You could see if your doctor could call you in something else if your unsure about it. If you feel you shouldnt then your probably right. Goodluck
Did you do ivy sedation with your wisdom teeth removal? I'm almost 4 months sober and I need to get mine removed. I'm scared that the sedation will trigger withdrawal. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had extensive dental work done since I got sober - no IV sedation tho - simply a needle and it's caused me no worries

D