Notices

How do you celebrate your sobriety??

Old 02-18-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you celebrate your sobriety??

Something I'm working on is allowing myself to celebrate and reward myself for months sober....I think it's an important part of my recovery plan.

What do/did you do to acknowledge days, months, years, milestones or achievements in your sobriety?
Old 02-18-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Cause for celebration was one of the excuses I used for drinking. I had to change my mindset when I got sober. Not everything needs to be celebrated. Sobriety is its own reward.

But if you must celebrate, get a cake.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dont necessarily celebrate as such, but I treat myself everynow and again!
Old 02-18-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

It is human nature to feel good about accomplishment and certainly there is nothing wrong with this. We acknowledge sobriety dates in the rooms each meeting. It is visual evidence that change in possible.

I attempt to keep an attitude of gratitude on sobriety milestones remembering how my behaviors hurt others and thankful that no longer has to be the case. At 18 months I bought my wife a flavored coffee she likes and went by her work to drop it off. I never mentioned the milestone, she has no idea mostly. I picked up a chip and thanked others for tolerating my nonsensical ramblings.

I must remember where I came from and place a comma after my milestone, not a period. Quiet reflection seems to suffice me, today.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sportsfan, rewarding yourself for accomplishments is a positive thing. Congrats on your sober time.

For me I am rewarded every day that I stay sober. The time I spend with my family is so much more fulfilling than it was when I was drinking. It is nice to know that I will be able to spend time with my kids, even doing things like homework tonight, and not be drunk. I truly appreciate life more now that I ever have.

Being sober every day is my reward. I know my family sees it the same way.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pizza.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Cause for celebration was one of the excuses I used for drinking. I had to change my mindset when I got sober. Not everything needs to be celebrated. Sobriety is its own reward. But if you must celebrate, get a cake.
I agree. I'm conscious of my sobriety time but I also try not to think about it much. Kind of an out of sight out of mind mentality I guess. So I don't celebrate either. Maybe a quick thought like "6 months, yay me" but that's all. 😊
Old 02-18-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I celebrate by giving my dogs a treat or a biscuit or a walk.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope that I never get over my appreciation of and gratitude for sobriety; sobriety and recovery are causes for true joy in my life. Waking up hangover-free every is a cause for daily celebration.

Oh . . . and ice cream, cake and chocolate (instead of wine) remain staples in my life.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I gave myself treats for a little while, then I kinda moved beyond that?

Not too sound too Will Rogers, but living right really is its own reward

D
Old 02-18-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Same as kinzuko, pizza.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Nice vacations
Old 02-18-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

By giving away what I've been given in recovery.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

With every month of sobriety, my husband and I go out and get a special cupcake.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

After two and a half years I've started to lose track of milestones, except that I'm reminded of them at AA meetings. It's important in early recovery but I think it's healthier not to live your life around it. I just don't drink anymore.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Since I just started this, I felt the need to plan out little "celebrations" at the 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 day "milestones". Tomorrow will be day 10. I only set these up so I don't "celebrate" by drinking. I feel like after a month I won't necessarily need to celebrate anything, but it'll also be easier not to drink, I hope! I certainly haven't planned anything elaborate..... My day 10 celebration is going to the local drug store and buying myself new (cheap) sunglasses and discounted, leftover valentine's day candy!! Woohoo!
Old 02-18-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

To be really honest, I celebrate just about anything by walking my dogs. I get such a kick out of watching them 'check their peemail'.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I reward myself by buying a new Yankee Candle treasure, lol.

least, funny!! I have 2 dogs that love to sniff out everything and then my other dog (youngest) loves nothing more than to chase the other two, nipping at them and teasing them the whole walk.
My youngest has no interest in anything outside but my other dogs, it's pretty funny to watch.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I reward myself by living life more fully. Whether it is being conscious in bed at night and talking with my wife or being there for a friend who needs to talk or watching my body become healthier and more fit..... the rewards are all around me.
I don't celebrate my quit date because I had too many of them and each had a special meaning.... sometimes I would actually trick myself into waiting for an auspicious date before quitting because it would be better ..... (procrastination..) It's been about six months and some day, God willing, it will be many years but I feel rewarded every second of every day.
Jonathan
Old 02-18-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
To be really honest, I celebrate just about anything by walking my dogs. I get such a kick out of watching them 'check their peemail'.
"Peemail" LOL!!!!!

I tend to celebrate with my dogs, too.