Notices

Cravings

Old 02-17-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings

I am very embarrassed to admit this.

I haven't had a drink since August 31st.

But I am having cravings again. I think its because I have the whole month off and nothing to do, I've quit my job and am searching on a new job and a new country to live in. My parents are both in new relationships so they don't call or care so much and my friends are spread out across the globe.

And my wonderful girlfriend and I have only two months left before I flee the country so that too will pass.

I feel surreal, adrift, and I suppose I just long for that warm buzz. I want to get drunk and make a pot of pasta, read my book and pass out under the warm blankets.

I won't do it. I am here red eyed, deep into the latest Grisham novel, after trying to sleep for an hour and being unable to do so. It's not such a bad life. I just wanted to admit I feel cravings and why I think I have them (too much free time, no real connection to anybody or anyplace to keep me grounded).
Old 02-17-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been sober over six years and still get cravings to drink sometimes. I dismiss them and remember how bad I get when I drink, and how happy I am sober.

Practicing gratitude helps me a lot too.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well then, despite my grumpy tiredness I'll try...... I'm grateful for the hundreds if not thousands of dollars I've saved in the last five months. For no hangovers. For a sustained relationship (which the bottle would have never allowed me). For a clear mind to try to take a new path, though that is not proving easy all the time.

And for not acting a fool, living with guilt and regret, and hurting those around me with my drinking.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm not sure if you'd call them cravings, but I still have occasional thoughts about the "old" days. Of course my AV only wants me to remember the "good" things , which were few and far between of course. I chalk it up to the fact that I'm simply human and even with daily work on my sobriety, i'm still an addict..so those thoughts will still surface now and then.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry cravings have struck remember they will pass good job reaching out bud

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 02-17-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have 10 months sober and I still have a lot of cravings / urges from time to time. You have nothing to be ashamed about. These are just thoughts, you do not have to act on them.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Noone should be embarrassed about having cravings/thoughts of drinking.
We did that for years, and it took a little time for mine to quit altogether.

I think the quality of our recovery lies in what we do in response to those thoughts, not the thoughts themselves.

maybe instead of looking at this month ahead as time when you have 'nothing to do', you can make the most of this 'you' time ?

D
Old 02-17-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't have any advice. But I'm right there with you. This is hard some days. Up and down and up and down. Just when you think you got a handle on it all, the cravings start again.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for sharing and supporting me. I got through last night, feel a lot better today. Its good to know others struggle with cravings. I think I'm an escapist, and for years that escape was alcohol, and so I do crave it when things really get hard to deal with so...yeah.

Dee I like the idea of it being me-month. I've been so freaked out about being productive this month that I've gotten nothing done. Hows that for crazy?

Wishing you all well.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Back atcha Kinzoku

D
Old 02-18-2016, 12:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Kinzoku .
Don't worry about cravings - they're an unavoidable part of recovery. Try to be patient and things start to get an awful lot easier. You're doing fantastic - stick at it