Notices

Cirrhosis

Old 02-16-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cirrhosis

I stopped drinking 2.5 years ago after drinking daily for 34 years. My motivations for stopping were mostly health reasons.
My uncle is now in the final stages of cirrhosis and has spent the last three weeks in an intensive care unit. I am witnessing what it is like to die from a lifetime of drinking and it is not pleasant.
My uncle is a generous, gentle, intelligent man. He went to the hospital three weeks ago with abdominal pain which turned out to be spontaneous bacterial peritonitis caused by advanced stage cirrhosis. He underwent emergency surgery, then experienced sepsis and respiratory failure and was on a ventilator for several days. That was followed by bleeding from esophageal varices and now hepatic encephalopathy as his liver can no longer remove the toxins in his blood stream.
He has been in a low level state of consciousness for the past several days and will likely slip into a coma at some point.
A lifetime of drinking single malt whisky has taken its toll on his body. I'll make the three hour drive to the hospital in Richmond, Virginia a couple more times this week to spend time with him. The visits to the hospital the past few weeks were for his benefit; to offer support and comfort.
The remaining visits will be for my benefit, as he no longer knows I'm there in the room.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your uncle, Ornithology.

Death from cirrhotic liver failure is so horrific. I am so very sorry that your uncle and your family are going through this.

Those who find sobriety and recovery are extraordinarily blessed.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am so sorry. It makes me treasure my sobriety and count my blessings that I got sober when I did. Prayers out for you and your family.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My sympathy goes out to you and your family. This has to be so difficult.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry about your uncle's health.

I could be wrong, but I was a nurse for years and hearing is the last sense to go. I think he does know you're there, even if he can't show it.

Please take care of yourself and know that we are supporting you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-16-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

My father died the same way, many years ago. I do believe that he knew I was there, he just wasn't coherent enough to respond intelligently. He would say things when I talked to him, but they didn't make any sense to me. He did eventually go into a coma and never came out.

Yes, it is an ugly way to die. My heart and prayers go out to you and all who love him.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about your uncle's illness and I hope you find some peace through your visits with him.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

My thoughts and prayers go to you your family and your uncle Orn.

D
Old 02-16-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Orn,

Thank you for sharing this painful chapter with the SR community. As one of your classmates in our 2.5-year journey, it comes as no surprise to me that you have been a loyal nephew to your uncle as his final days unfold. Though he no longer can communicate with you, I'd like to think he can feel your presence and that you're a comfort to one another.

I also appreciate that you have chosen your words with care, letting us know a little bit about your uncle, that his attributes include gentleness, generosity and intelligence. That he was the sum of many admirable traits, and not only defined by his addiction.

I hope there is peacefulness in your world, and his, in the coming days.

You've shared a sad, but important message. Not long ago, I lost a member of my extended family, one whose death was all but certainly hastened by decades of addiction. I must note that we did not have a close relationship, but she was a nice person and I'm saddened by the burdens she carried for much of her life.

When she died, I was struck by how alcoholism not only takes captives, but claims casualties, too. The description you offered of his alcohol-caused deterioration is a sad reminder of that reality. I hope that for all of us in the SR community who are reading your post, it reinforces our need to protect our sobriety -- or for those new to the journey, it doubles the commitment to gaining it. Sobriety and recovery offer us renewal in mind, body and spirit.

Thank you and peace be with you.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Orn,

Thank you for sharing this painful chapter with the SR community. As one of your classmates in our 2.5-year journey, it comes as no surprise to me that you have been a loyal nephew to your uncle as his final days unfold. Though he no longer can communicate with you, I'd like to think he can feel your presence and that you're a comfort to one another.

I also appreciate that you have chosen your words with care, letting us know a little bit about your uncle, that his attributes include gentleness, generosity and intelligence. That he was the sum of many admirable traits, and not only defined by his addiction.

I hope there is peacefulness in your world, and his, in the coming days.

You've shared a sad, but important message. Not long ago, I lost a member of my extended family, one whose death was all but certainly hastened by decades of addiction. I must note that we did not have a close relationship, but she was a nice person and I'm saddened by the burdens she carried for much of her life.

When she died, I was struck by how alcoholism not only takes captives, but claims casualties, too. The description you offered of his alcohol-caused deterioration is a sad reminder of that reality. I hope that for all of us in the SR community who are reading your post, it reinforces our need to protect our sobriety -- or for those new to the journey, it doubles the commitment to gaining it. Sobriety and recovery offer us renewal in mind, body and spirit.

Thank you and peace be with you.

So articulately and beautifully said, Venecia - as always.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So sorry you are going through this with your uncle. Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your uncle. Glad your sober!
Old 02-16-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
...holds the key

(((Ornithology))) prayers for comfort and peace for you, your uncle and your family. May we never take our sobriety for granted and may we never forget what awaits us if we pick up again.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry to hear this. You and your family will be in my thoughts. Thank you for sharing this with us. It's an important reminder how very important our sobriety is and why it's worth fighting for. We're here for you.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 02-17-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My thoughts are with you Orn!!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle, but thank you so much for posting this.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Orn, so sorry to hear about your Uncle. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Peace to you and yours in this difficult time.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

It takes guts to post like this at a time like this, Ornith. You command my respect as well as my sympathies.