Notices

Sick today. A reminder of hangovers.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick today. A reminder of hangovers.

I've been sick today. When I woke up, my feelings were reminiscent of past hangovers: bad headache, nausea, sweaty palms and general aches and pains. Funny thing is, I got mad at myself, and almost got to the typical self-loathing that was so persistent in my drinking days. I had to remind myself that I didn't do this to myself this time. I'm just sick. It's a normal part of life. But my mind automatically assigned blame because I had poisoned myself and done this to myself for so many years.

It was a good reminder of the mornings I don't want to return to. It's been 50 days (woohoo!), and even tho I'm sick today, I know I didn't bring it on myself. So I've been streaming Netflix and drinking tea and healing without shame :-)

Anyone get reminders like these? Even though not related to drinking, they remind you of the pains of your drinking days?
Old 02-15-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better soon, Rattle!
Old 02-15-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was drinking, hangovers were like being sick with the flu. Now that I'm sober, being sick is like going thru withdrawal. The same horrible feelings.

But yes, sober I handle being sick so much better.

Hope you get well soon.

Congrats on 50 days sober!
Old 02-15-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better, I know the yuck is going around +the winter blahs
Old 02-15-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I've felt ill a few times and had the same thought - I might be feeling poorly, but its way better than a hang over!
I hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I felt the same way this morning!! It's only day 6 for me, but I woke up with a killer headache and the same tiredness and body aches I've always had on a Monday morning after a weekend of heavy drinking. I'm really nauseous now and it's so frustrating because I didn't even drink, but I still don't feel very good. I hope you start feeling better soon!
Old 02-15-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better soon! I had a terrible headache most of the day yesterday and it reminded me of my hungover Sundays. I was annoyed with the headache but was able to take solace that it wasn't something I brought on myself. Just a part of life. Amazing to think we used to do this kind of stuff to ourselves on a regular basis. It just makes you appreciate sobriety and health that much more!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First, hope you're feeling better soon, Rattle and Hum!

Speaking from my own experience, this has been a sporadic, but on-going, experience. I recall a little over a year into sobriety, I went to a birthday dinner at the worst Chinese joint in town (a friend wanted to relive her youth there ... blech). The entire next day, I felt nauseated. It was a mildly annoying throwback to the bad ol' days. It still happens from time to time if something disagrees with my digestive tract.

Sadly, it struck me that for years, I never really felt good. That some degree of an unsettled stomach (and other unpleasantness) was nearly a constant companion, minus the occasional spells when I made it more than a couple days without drinking.

Again, speaking solely for myself, I wonder if this will always be with me because of what was my "norm" for so long.

I guess as long as mild, or not so mild, cases of "I ate something bad" are as few and as far between as possible, living with the artifact physical memories isn't the world's worst thing. In fact, it may be helpful on some level. It certainly is a reminder to keep cherishing my sobriety.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I'm going through it right now, nasty cold, feels like a hangover, just someone please hit me over the head with a golf club.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Get well soon RattleandHum
Old 02-15-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Venecia, I know what you mean! I had food poisoning a couple of weeks ago...it reminded me of how I felt every day for years as I spiraled down into a life of active alcoholism. It was really a jolt to my system to remember the roller coasters of each day: the cotton-padded dulled senses in the morning, the hot/cold sweats on the way to the office, the uncontrollable hunger at 10am, the afternoon drowsiness, and the 4pm "itch" that had me running for the door early to get a drink. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Ugh.

Today, having a day or two of sickness doesn't get me down too bad. Because I know I'll get better! That knowledge is more precious than gold. RattleAndHum, you'll be back in action shortly - better than ever, with more sober days under your belt, to boot.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

50 days is epic get in congrats
Old 02-16-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm dealing with being sick too, I'm at 44 days. I've been useless at work, not unlike when I was cripplingly hungover. It sucks b/c the little pink cloud I had during month 1 has gone away, and I'm left with this heavy feeling of being completely alone in my struggles.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone!

Keep up the good work, eyeshade. You are far from alone, though I know how it is to feel that way. This will pass. Things will get better. It takes time and it's difficult but, most importantly, it's worth it.