Notices

Living with a grumpy father

Old 02-15-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Living with a grumpy father

So every Monday my father is a real grump. He is in his early 70's and I live in his house. I have my fair share of issues, but he is such a grump. He complains about the stupidest things, like when I drive the truck the windows get dirty and how he cleans them everyday for me. And how dusty the house is and he works so hard to clean it. It is so annoying, I mean I don't ask him to clean the windows of my truck, and I told him how it ain't dirty and I can see perfectly fine. This just makes him yell and complain even more. I do help him vacuum the house, but he still complains.

With the recent cold spell, he complains about the moisture on the windows and how he has to wipe them, and how we need new windows in the house. As far as I am concerned the windows are fine, all the houses here are built with this quality of window and there is nothing we can do. Buying new windows would cost thousands of $$ and not worth it to spend that kind of money on this.

I cannot move out as I don't have a job. Even if I have a job it will be difficult to afford a place as living here in the city is very expensive.

I know this stuff sounds trivial, but when I try to talk to him it just escalates into a verbal fight. How can I deal with this? I know I am not perfect but he just makes everything worse. I am turning 40 this year and I don't have a social life. His idea of meeting someone is going to walmart and finding a date there? Like I don't have such game to pickup at walmart and it is rather difficult to meet someone without having a social circle of my own.

Just had to vent.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That does sound annoying. Some people just can't be pleased with anything.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

What about a flatshare in the future ?
Old 02-15-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
What about a flatshare in the future ?
What is flatshare? Is this like Uber?
Old 02-15-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think soberwolf was thinking about renting an apartment together with someone else or a few people so that you can split the bills.

How about putting finding a job as a priority? Maybe start with any job you can get and are able to do to bridge financial difficulties, even just part time. Then build a longer term plan about creating an independent life. Working would perhaps also provide some social interactions and opportunities to meet people.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I couldn;t live with my dad either.

I'd continue to focus your efforts on getting a job and then maybe sharing with someone as roomies?

D