Notices

18 days sober and now struggling emotional & low

Old 02-15-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy 18 days sober and now struggling emotional & low

Hi everyone,

I am now 18 days sober and its not been too bad apart from in the last few days I've had sleeping troubles. Also I've had headaches everyday.

However yesterday and today i am really struggling feeling a little bit like its the end of the world type feeling although I know its the opposite and i am glad I have even got this far.

Today I feel emotional, frustrated, irritable and sad.

I don't know how I am going to manage normal life when it comes to nights out at parties with friends. Not that its often but it scares me I don't want to avoid people or things, I want to enjoy my sobriety as I've worked so hard to come this far. Alcohol was consuming everything and increased to two bottles of wine a day. I couldn't rest until I knew I had enough in the fridge so 18 days is quite an achievement. I know I cant go back as I just cant control my intake.

Rant over!

Any wise words very welcome

:/
Old 02-15-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go out and occupy your mind with something that is not associated with alcohol.
18 days is awesome and you should be proud of your hard work. Have you talked to your friends about your struggles and your journey? Don't be alone in your struggle, share with loved ones.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your words are wise by just reaching out x some days are like this in early sobriety know this feeling will pass

A good idea would be getting more involved in SR by posting & helping others thus taking your mind off things
Old 02-15-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's very common in early recovery for your feelings to be all over the place. Stay sober and hang on, it gets better.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you like to cook, bake? I find it therapeutic. Read a good book?
Old 02-15-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi bravesjp

Like others have said it can be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for a while.

Whenever I'd get that feeling of doom I'd go straight to favourite comedies - not only will laughing help immensely but there's something about something safe and familiar that reassured me that everything was normal

D
Old 02-15-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 18 days bravesjp 👍👍👍as others have already said...the feelings will pass. Wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Old 02-15-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

18 days is great, and I did avoid social situations with alcohol for many months. I had to. What I know for sure is that it will get easier for you. As Dee mentioned he chose comedies to watch, and I would go to my favorite music, play it loud, and begin to feel better.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, ditto to what everyone else said...emotions can be high and low during this time. Mine have been this go around with sobriety and it's similar to the last time. Hang in there and focus on your daily sobriety counter ticking ever upwards!
Old 02-15-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

First congrats on 18 days. Second... has anyone mentioned to you about post acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) yet? Here is a link to one of many sites you can check out. I found it helpful to understand what was going on inside me. It is very accurate I felt. I used to fight the symptoms every other minute... then every other hour... now I have a bad couple days here and there (20 months clean/sober) and I know what it is and that it will pass. I hope it helps and if not... I hope you find what does to help you get through this tough time.

Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies
Old 02-15-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done on the 18 days, bravesjp. Lots of helpful advice in the posts above, and we are all and each with you on the same journey.
I'm another who, when I realise I'm feeling more and more 'down' will re-watch favourite light-hearted movies.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wonderful job! I always liked to watch my favorite television show while drinking my favorite non-alcoholic beverage or snacking on my favorite candy in early sobriety. In my opinion things get easier as you go on. I feel it's harder to get sober than it is to stay sober, for myself at least. You have made it over that hump, now just continue to not pick up that first drink day after day. That's the main reason why I didn't go back to drinking in early sobriety, because like you said Inknew I could not drink moderately.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks all so much! 💓💓💓💓

Hi everyone,

What a lovely surprise to see all your helpful messages it's feels so much less lonely now.

I have felt incredibly low today and just been consumed with thoughts of a glass of wine and thinking maybe one etc but I am not giving in!!!

It's just incredible how your brain allows you to forget all the brilliant reasons why you stopped drinking in the first place.

I have had to list a host of reasons I won't drink today and beyond I hope, but for today my reasons are:-
I have come to far and proved I can do it.
I will not have another David hasselhoff (spelling) moment where my daughter (11) video'd me slurring drunk asleep on the sofa!
I do not want to check my breathiliser in the morning to see if I can drive.
I do not want to be having to buy 2 bottles of wine instead of one feeling frightened by the thought of being out of control.
I don't want to panic all day to make sure I have wine in the fridge.
I don't want to be embarrassed of my recycling box..............
Would anyone like to add more.

Also thanks for the suggestions to help me overcome my feelings. Films and comedies are great. I went to see a comedian at the local theare on day 7 sober and drove it was liberating but difficult?

Sending all my best to you all and many thanks xx
Old 02-17-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you are sticking with it. All those are good reasons not to drink. I found it helpful and less lonely to check on SR everyday. Post and read and know I'm not alone.

Keep it up!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on 18 days! Yes, it is hard but it gets easier.
I'll add more: I don't want to worry that the grocery store clerk remembers me from yesterday.
I don't want to hide my bottles all over the house and have my kids accidentally stumble upon them.
I don't want to start arguments and/or behave badly.
I don't want to look in the mirror and not respect myself.

Thanks for the reminders! Hang in there, you're doing great.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep on keeping on
Old 02-18-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you coming up with your own reasons is therapeutic Bravejsp - but for me just knowing I was no longer living a life of shame was a great motivator.

Don;t be afraid to post here if you need support - there's always someone around

D