Notices

Amazing how your body heals

Old 02-14-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Amazing how your body heals

Ok, day 5. I thought the withdrawals were pretty much over. I guess they are actually and the following is simply my body restoring itself to health.

About 20 minutes ago, I was about to step into bed. I was literally standing next to it, looking forward to a good night's rest. I was feeling pretty good.

All of a sudden, out of nowhere, I felt that I had to throw up. I rushed to the bathroom and did throw up pretty heavily.

Btw, for once, I could run in a straight line and aim well. Even throwing up is better sober!

Sometimes you don't know that something isn't quite right until it's solved. After I'd thrown up, I could feel my stomach having been soothed. Before, without me realizing it, it didn't feel quite right. After years of drinking, you get used to it and don't know it's a problem anymore.

Now my stomach feels calm. Something has been healed. I had no idea this needed to happen, but treat your body well and it will heal itself.

Now I'm getting cramps so I have a suspicion that another part of the digestive system will get some healing...

The body fascinates me. And this sure is fascinating. And I'm grateful that it's happening.

Ok, now another attempt to go to bed.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first few days and weeks can be a roller coaster ride. Be prepared for sudden upheaval. But if you stay sober, it will get better.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Be prepared for sudden upheaval
For reals!

Glad you felt better after upheaval.

I didn't have throwing up, but I definitely had a few days of stomach issues including cramping, bloating, acid reflux. Within a few days - at most a week, everything was fine.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Until now I thought it was a coincidence.
On my 5th day I was feeling good. I was driving home and sudden nausea hit me. I ran into my house just in time and spent the next hour barfing and dry-heaving. Was perfectly fine by bedtime.
And yes, puking is great sober!
Old 02-14-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The body is pretty tough. I don't know how my liver remained normal but my blood work said it was.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I usually had some dry heaving and vomiting on day 5. You're right, puking is still better sober. You're doing great. Keep it up.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by Stang View Post
The body is pretty tough. I don't know how my liver remained normal but my blood work said it was.
Yeah I dunno how I'm not dead or sick with something terminal from my crap choices but here I am alive and well. I must be here for some reason.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 5 Mike
Old 02-14-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you're feeling better and healing, Mike.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Btw, for once, I could run in a straight line and aim well. Even throwing up is better sober!
LOL! That almost made me spit out my coffee. Thanks for the laugh, I needed it this morning.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are doing great. I love your attitude. The first week is rough, but it gets better and better. So glad you have joined us.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Mike i just want to say your doing really well & its a joy to witness
Old 02-15-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job on day 5 Mike. I am also noting how my body is healing mentally and physically. Pretty cool.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good job MikeM. Let your body do it's natural thing. It's a wondrous and tough piece of machinery.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great job on day 5 Mike. It gets easier.

Congrats and keep up the good work!
Old 02-15-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

(Note: I'm posting this in this thread since I can't make new threads. I get a server error, number 500. I don't know how to solve it. The only thing I can't do is post new threads. Everything else works fine.)

Subject: Day 6 - Feeling Good

Day 6. I woke up feeling pretty miserable. But... as soon as I got out of bed and put on some music (part of my plan), I started to feel pretty damn good. Since I live alone, I danced to the music weirdly. C'mon, tell me you've never done that when no one's watching.

I had one moment where the cravings came up and reflexively I set them aside. Kind of like when a chihuahua is try to bite your ankles. You push it aside gently yet strictly. "Go away". Which moved them aside and made me feel my good feeling about being sober fully. And it seemed ridiculous to drink!

Also, I called my doctor for an appointment to get my health checked out. I have no reason to think anything is wrong, but still, I want to be sure. I made the commitment to call for an appointment today and did it. No more putting things off.

Since both the flu as well as a heavy cold are going around, and a lot of elderly people live in this neighborhood, they are mighty busy. They asked me if it's urgent and I couldn't say it is. I had a short phase of anxiety about my liver but that's long gone. Plus, I want the doctor to have all the time and be relaxed instead of rushed.

Tomorrow, Tuesday and Wednesday I actually already have plans. Yes, I make plans now. That's also something I didn't do when I was drinking. Now there's lots of fun and productive things to do.

So my appointment is on Friday. I'm relaxed about it. I just don't feel like anything is wrong. I'll see what happens.

I'm still working on my plan, adding a bit every day, using Dee's post about it. It's funny how I'm so active now that I have little time for it. I guess I should open up an extra half hour a day to work on the plan. That should be easy.

It's weird how at day 6, my drinking days seem a lifetime ago already.

Regarding the rest of the recovery process, I'm not going to build expectations. I know the placebo-effect all too well. I have the attitude of "I'll see what happens" and make sure I have my plan ready for anything that comes up.

So, I'm happy with my progress. And I couldn't done it without you folks! I'm very grateful.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 02-15-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good job Mike!
Old 02-15-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Mike! Well done!

I know exactly what you are talking about regarding living alone and music. I've been known to dance around and sing by myself quite often. My cat probably thinks I'm crazy, haha.

At 30 days, the two weeks straight I spent drinking seem like so long ago yet are still fresh in my mind in a horrifying kind of way. I never want to go back there. I'm so much happier now with my sobriety than ever before.

Keep going strong and the days will just keep getting better and better!
Old 02-15-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am glad you are doing so well Mike