Notices

This is hard

Old 02-14-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is hard

Hello everyone. I am new and this is my first post.

Only 12 days sober but it's hell. Today has been a bad day with my anxiety and all I want is to drink. I have help around me who successfully diverted me attention away from the need for a bit but I'm sitting here, again, craving it so bad. I guess I never realized how dependent I was until I hit rock bottom and ended up at the hospital. I feel so hopeless.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You are not hopeless. I used to think I was, but I was wrong. Don't give up on yourself. Keep at it until you get it right. And come here often for inspiration and strength.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Hang in there, and make it through today.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to you, Jane. We know just how you feel, and we are with you.

Be proud of yourself for those 12 days sober. Yes, it is hell early on - but please know it gets so much better. I experienced those same feelings - I'd been drinking for many years & couldn't imagine what life would be like without it. Yet I knew it was slowly killing me and it had to stop. Keep talking to us - we are here to help. Life is going to get so much better for you.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on 12 days! You have some hope because you are here. You are seeking help. I remember how hard the first days and weeks can be. Alcohol allows us to escape the emotions we don't want to feel so that can be rough. It's like years of trying not to feel anything makes even the smallest thing seem huge. In the early days the only thing that I could do to find peace was "cease fighting everyone and everything" and just take the suggestions that were given to me by the people who had more experience at this sobriety thing than I did. It seems to work. Hang in there. If you do, things will get better. They already have in some ways, I'm sure.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

12 days sober is amazing and doesnt make you hopeless You have done the right thing by coming here and sharing how you feel, by doing so it quietens the addictive voice, it takes away its power. All these thoughts of drinking and hopelessness is your addiction speaking and not you ok. It is hard, but it is not impossible. Tell yourself yourself you wont drink for today, know that the urge to drink will pass and it does, each and everytime it comes up, it DOES pass. Welcome to the forum, keep posting and reading others experiences okay, it really helps x x
Old 02-14-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jane, be proud of yourself for your accomplishment of 12 days. It's overwhelming at first, but hang in there and you will continue to feel better.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a lot of support here, Jane.

SR helped me through a lot of tough times in the early days - I know we can help you too

D
Old 02-14-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sobering up is very hard...and you're not hopeless! It takes a while for your brain to adjust neurochemically with the absence of alcohol. However it's worth it. Just hang in there and stay close to sober recovery.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We're really glad you're here Jane! You're doing great to be at 12 days. I remember a counselor telling me that it can take a couple weeks after you quit for your liver to 'calm down', and this can cause all kinds of issues like anxiety and insomnia. Hang in there, it will get better.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're on day 12 and you are miserable. Are you trying to get and stay sober all by yourself? That's hard to do.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Jane