Notices

AA chips

Old 02-14-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA chips

How many of you have chips? How do they work for you?

Ive just been looking at the three Ive got so far and Im due another tomorrow For me the chips remind me how far I've come, I bloody well deserve those chips and Im proud of them!
Old 02-14-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Blueberry on collecting your 4th chip
Old 02-14-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have the twelve chips I got for my first year, plus my one year chip. I don't go to meetings anymore so that's all I have.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like the chips. I wanted to do things my own way so I resisted AA for the first year so I lost out on the first year of chips, however, I did collect a 2 year chip. For myself it was a long time since I did anything good, so to receive chips to celebrate my increments of sobriety reminds me how far I have came and that I am making positive changes. Newcomers especially I feel need the encouragement and I feel the chips or coins do just that. You totally deserve those chips and am so happy for you. Are you working the steps with a sponsor? That's where the change happens.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I have the twelve chips I got for my first year, plus my one year chip. I don't go to meetings anymore so that's all I have.
How did they help you during that first year? X
Old 02-14-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLife90 View Post
I like the chips. I wanted to do things my own way so I resisted AA for the first year so I lost out on the first year of chips, however, I did collect a 2 year chip. For myself it was a long time since I did anything good, so to receive chips to celebrate my increments of sobriety reminds me how far I have came and that I am making positive changes. Newcomers especially I feel need the encouragement and I feel the chips or coins do just that. You totally deserve those chips and am so happy for you. Are you working the steps with a sponsor? That's where the change happens.
Yes I've just done steps 1 and 2 with my sponsor, have a big journal to write it all down in and by god is it helping, my first time in I went to AA but didn't work the programme and relapsed, this time I totally surrendered and so far so good. Im scared if I don't work the programme i'll relapse and I don't want to go back there again. Im enjoying the steps so far actually, its like blowing the cobwebs from the closet. It Is helping immensely.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

When I picked up my one year chip I returned all my monthly chips retaining my 24 hour / desire chip. The returned chips are now filtered back to other friends continuing the cycle of sobriety. The 24 hour chip is the one I cherish and will never let go of.

Congratulations on your next chip, well done.
Remember, there's a comma after each chip we pick up and not a period,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 02-14-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thats an amazing thing to do.... You know I may keep hold of mine to pass on to my own sponsor, Id really like to be a sponsor eventually and I quite like the idea of passing them on Thanks for sharing x Given me some food for thought that x
Old 02-14-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post
How did they help you during that first year? X
Just looking at them was a reminder of how far I'd come.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

A little history on the subject

AA History - Some History of AA Chips
Old 02-14-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

my 24 hr one never left my pocket for the first year, simply because when i got it i was told if i felt like drinking to chew on it. when i chewed it up and swallowed it i could have a drink.
it has teeth marks on it. it now resides in my bb cover with my DOS scratched in with a nail,which i did shortly after getting it to help remind me when i chewed on it.

my yearly ones reside in my wallet til the next year. justa lil reminder when i open my wallet.
i have some of my past ones in a drawer. some were passed on. some are waiting.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job blueberry. Your story does not have to end in a relapse. I know for myself if I stop hitting meetings, working the steps, staying in contact with other AAers, and reading AA stuff my chances of relapse are going to significantly increase. I need to continue to do these things and move forward if I wsnt to maintain my sobriety.

You will totally be a sponsor someday as long as you keep coming to meetings and continue to work the steps and stay sober one day at a time. Anything is possible as long as you don't pick up that first drink or drug!
Old 02-14-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I carried a 24hr coin with me everywhere for several months. It did help. I got two sets of month 1-5... but only one each of month 6-11.

I'm grateful for and proud of my Year I and II coins.

Yes, those coins were and remain an important part of my toolkit. A physical ********... a touchstone holding my choice of sobriety close and honoring the journey of growth.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
MrBrad

I used to have three, but then I just threw them away since I felt that they didn't do anything for me.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLife90 View Post
Great job blueberry. Your story does not have to end in a relapse. I know for myself if I stop hitting meetings, working the steps, staying in contact with other AAers, and reading AA stuff my chances of relapse are going to significantly increase. I need to continue to do these things and move forward if I wsnt to maintain my sobriety.

You will totally be a sponsor someday as long as you keep coming to meetings and continue to work the steps and stay sober one day at a time. Anything is possible as long as you don't pick up that first drink or drug!
Totally, I need AA my sobriety depends on it, my life depends on it! Im grateful to be sober and soooo grateful for the fellowship. Keeping it in the day, I cant rush sobriety I know that now. Initially I was like wanting to microwave sobriety lol 10 years in 10 mins ha ha - but accept that wont happen. Nice and slowly, easy does it.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

I gave all but my current chip back. It's on my dresser. It shows the newcomers that it works. I embrace sobriety today.
Everyone is different
Old 02-14-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have my yearly chips, but I just keep them in a drawer. Once in awhile I will look at them and reflect, but that's about it.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have mine. I carried my two year around for a while in my pocket and fiddled with it but now it's in my purse. It's a physical reminder of my sobriety.

I was at a meeting this morning and one of the women got her 35 year. Something's working for her.

Well done! Keep going.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I carried a 24hr coin with me everywhere for several months. It did help. I got two sets of month 1-5... but only one each of month 6-11.

I'm grateful for and proud of my Year I and II coins.

Yes, those coins were and remain an important part of my toolkit. A physical ********... a touchstone holding my choice of sobriety close and honoring the journey of growth.
******** is a censored word?
Old 02-15-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

ok... why is (t a l i s m a n) a censored word?