Notices

Realizations

Old 02-13-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Realizations

My random thoughts that feel like epiphanies but I know aren't to others... I am going to constantly remind myself that this not a competition ... There will always be others with more sober days than me and always those with less - and will have to remind myself that that is completely irrelevant. What matters, simply put, is today and the choices that I make... And as I keep on the path my number of days will rise at the same pace as everyone else that has blazed this trail before me. Patience shall be tantamount.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yup...identify, don't compare! hugs
Old 02-13-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wise words
Old 02-13-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So true. There is a guy in the program out here who is so arrogant about his 31 years of sobriety that he literally looks down his nose at those with even one days less than him. I'm tempted to remind him about step 7 and humility every time I see his smug face, but then always come to the realization that this is one of his character defects, not mine, so it's really none of my business.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

With you all the way
Old 02-13-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Great thoughts. Everyone has a different journey and none of us should judge another. Each sober day is better than any drunk day!
Old 02-13-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good Morning,

This is definitely not a competition. Each of us has the same goal to remain sober today. Whether we have one hour or 30 years.

I keep track of my days because in the past certain milestones have been when I have become complacent and thought I could have just one glass of wine, and that never worked!

Be proud of your time, and focus on whatever it is you need. I learn from people on SR daily some who have many years of sobriety, and some who come back because they thought they could moderate. I am grateful for all of the stories, and take the piece of each that will help me with my journey.

Have a great weekend!!!

❤️Delilah
Old 02-13-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I did have 30 years and not maintaining my sobriety resulted in me losing it. It took me 4 1/2 years to get back.

I have only today and, like every other alcoholic, am just one drink away from being right back in that hell again, no matter how long I've been around. The quality of sobriety matters more than the quantity, but if that gets taken for granted, I can drink again.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didn't mean to imply anyone here views his as a competition if that's how it can across. What I can't seem to phrase properly is that part of my brain that thinks "whoopie, I'm on day four but all these other folks have so much more time in than me - what right do I have to think where I am is an accomplishment".

In most aspects of life in an optimist and glass half full kind of gal. But when it comes to me, myself and I... My default internal reaction is quite to the contrary.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

You should be proud of your accomplishment and believe that you are right where you should be.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day four is an accomplishment though - I remember when I could not get past day 3

D
Old 02-13-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Treasure each sober day. They add up fast.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi ICanDoBetter. The people here at SR do not strike me as people who would scoff at anyone wanting to acknowledge the achievement of 4 days of sobriety (I know thats not what you meant)...but in fact quite the opposite...so if SR wouldn't then why should you scoff at yourself. So I say shout loud and be proud of every day that you have achieved your goal of sobriety...congratulations on 4 days 🎉🎉🎉