Notices

Pristiq withdrawal and tapering

Old 02-12-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pristiq withdrawal and tapering

Can anyone please post their experiences with Pristiq withdrawal and tapering?

My husband went three days without his 100 mg dosage of Pristiq because he ran out. He has been wanting to taper off of it because he no longer suffers from depression. He went to the doctor today and got a new prescription for a 50 mg dose. The doctor plans to taper him off of it after he stabilizes at the new, lower dose.

He tried to taper off of it once before, but gave up. After consulting with his doctor, he and his doctor decided to try again, but taper more slowly. Ofcourse, he has already kinda blown that plan by running out of his meds. I think he is in too much of a hurry to get off of this medication.

Between going three days without his meds and now tapering, my husband is a physical and emotional wreck. As a spouse, I would like to know what to expect and how long to expect it. His doctor said to come back when he feels stabilized, which sounds pretty open-ended.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no experience with Pristiq. I have found pharmacists to be a good source of info on drugs, reduction, side effects, etc.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I havnt heard of this ? hopefully someone has
Old 02-13-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FLCamper View Post
I have no experience with Pristiq. I have found pharmacists to be a good source of info on drugs, reduction, side effects, etc.
We know clinically what to expect, but I'm seeking to hear about the range of actual experiences. After he is off the meds, it should be about two months for the brain to sort itself out. I'm guessing that there are probably longer term side effects as well, just like PAWS. He has been on this medication for a long time, which will worsen the symptoms.

Currently, he has no appetite and seems listless. The first time he tried to taper, he had anger issues.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I havnt heard of this ? hopefully someone has
Unfortunately, this type of anti-depressant is addictive, so he will suffer many of the same symptoms as SR members.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pristiq is an SNRI similar to Effexor or Cymbalta.
I was on effexor for about a year and not knowing any better just let the prescription run out. I felt out of sorts and on edge, dizzy at times and anxious. Sometimes sick feeling. Also I had what is described as brain zaps. I did not know that is what they are called at the time but it fits. It was like being shocked and a physical sensation in the head that had me disoriented like I had been reset or something. Things were weird and uncomfortable about a week or so and started to fade after a while.

All people are different though. You can find all manner of actual descriptions of people coming off Pristiq if you search. Some sound like it is the end of the world others not that bad really. So there is really no exact list and time table that can be applied to your husband.

He is under the care of a doctor so that is good.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Pristiq is an SNRI similar to Effexor or Cymbalta.
I was on effexor for about a year and not knowing any better just let the prescription run out. I felt out of sorts and on edge, dizzy at times and anxious. Sometimes sick feeling. Also I had what is described as brain zaps. I did not know that is what they are called at the time but it fits. It was like being shocked and a physical sensation in the head that had me disoriented like I had been reset or something. Things were weird and uncomfortable about a week or so and started to fade after a while.

All people are different though. You can find all manner of actual descriptions of people coming off Pristiq if you search. Some sound like it is the end of the world others not that bad really. So there is really no exact list and time table that can be applied to your husband.

He is under the care of a doctor so that is good.
My husband's brain zaps went away shortly after starting the new, lower dose. I guess they will return after he tapers off.