Notices

post accute withdrawal symptoms???

Old 02-15-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

It should come back. You want it to. I had 3 really bad episodes my first year, each lasting 2 weeks from start to finish. Remember it is your brain healing that is causing all the problems. It has a purpose. After each episode I would notice a great increase in my abilities to think and reason. After the 9 month episode I noticed colors were more enhanced, sound seemed clearer, I noticed things like breezes on my arm. Before that one it felt like I was experiencing the world underwater.

It does suck while it is happening. The usual drink plenty of fluids, gets sleep, no sugar or coffee. Chamomile is supposed to aid in brain healing. Venting is good. Some people are helped by exercise or music. Just don't drink any alcohol or you screw up the whole process.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Let's give this one a "pop to the top," and I see this section is particularly active; I made my contribution above while it was in the "News" section, and I generally stick to that one because of time constraints.

Per my old sponsor, "All my slips have been dry ones," and there's obvious wisdom there. And one principle Gorski identified was effective use of the Inventory Steps (whether 4,5, or 11, that's basically immaterial to me at this point), and our "relapse dynamics" need to be recognized as early as possible (often by looking at our behaviors, and possibly our emotions, including resentments). Our disease thrives in isolation, and attending meetings, doing volunteer work, and connecting with others are ways to counter its symptoms.

As for "where you're going," recovery is a journey, not a destination. And the Big Book tells me it's okay to consult a professional (and my experience suggests shopping around for a "good fit," and realizing there are some real bozos out there; best to avoid them). I know from personal experience that even the most ingrained and intransigent behaviors can be changed, and there are those out there skilled in helping facilitate those changes. I promise you, more will be revealed...