Notices

Ok, here come the withdrawals

Old 02-12-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok, here come the withdrawals

I thought I'd been having mild withdrawals and that that would be it. But now, at the end of day 3, they're kicking in pretty heavily. I wasn't expecting that.

I actually feel like I'm having a hangover. The experience is very similar. I can't really tolerate the brightness of the pc screen really.

But... the way I see it, what I'm feeling now is a good sign. My body working hard to detox, recover and heal. I think that since today was the first day that I felt like I had caught up with my hydration and nutritional needs, my body actually has the energy and resources to work full-force on healing.

Whether that's correct or not, I do know that I'm going to experience discomfort before I get better. And that's fine. I have no clue how it will happen and how long it will take, but I feel great about it. I'm healing.

All I know is that will go back to bed, I'd tried to sleep earlier this evening but couldn't. Now I'm just going to lie down and let it happen.

Finally, all this mess is clearing out of my body!
Old 02-12-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yup you will experience discomfort. I did as well. Drink water, eat, and sleep. That is about all you can do at this point. Try and get outside and go for a walk if it is sunny. Might help you out a bit. Otherwise it is recovery time and your body is saying thank you. Be sure to get medical help if it comes down to it. Dont use money as an excuse for not going to the hospital if you need to.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It will be uncomfortable for a few days, but you'll soon be feeling much better.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just listen to your body and do what feels comfortable. Try to rest and distract yourself with a movie or book or something like that.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Mike you can do this no matter what don't drink get through it & embrace it WD's won't last forever and we'l be here all the way
Old 02-12-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will get better Mike - take care of yourself today

D
Old 02-13-2016, 03:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just slept very long and very deeply. And I do feel better. Still some withdrawals, and I suspect they may get stronger again today.

But I'm not going to think about that. I'm going to cook a good, healthy meal, get some fresh air and a a lot of water.

I must say, now that I'm focusing on the benefits of sobriety, it's easier. Of course I remember to never go back to that nightmare as well. But in the end, you need to move on in life. And I'm seeing possibilities that I just didn't have while drinking.

It's fun to fantasize about what I can do now that I'm sober and then realize that it's ACTUALLY possible.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It is great you have a few days sober Mike.
Be vigilant as you take each day or hour.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just posted on another thread of yours about looking back on your WDs. If you are still in them, same thing applies. . .maybe take note of how crap they are, and realize that you never, NEVER have to torture your body like this again.

As you say, think of all you can do sober now! You can drive WHENEVER you want legally, you will remember every conversation, your body will heal, your food and drink intact will nourish versus ravage your body, your time with your family will be quality, the list goes on and on and on.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

It's fun to fantasize about what I can do now that I'm sober and then realize that it's ACTUALLY possible.

It's so great to hear you say this Mike

Hope you're feeling better soon.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great attitude! Keep powering through the day. Youbcan do it!
Old 02-13-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Our bodies are amazing the way they do us favors in trying to correct and heal..
Old 02-13-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Hang in there Mike. Once you get through this and put drinking behind you, you will never have to go through it again.

Best wishes
Old 02-13-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Urgh withdrawal isnt nice! Mine also peaked at day 3, look after yourself, plenty of rest is vital, your body is healing. I found drinking antioxidant drinks and having a little soup helped me through, some vitamins too. Know that this will soon pass, in a couple of days you ought to be feeling more yourself x x x Hang in there buddy x x x
Old 02-13-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Today is going well! 6 PM on day 4. I spent time with my brother. I cooked. It really makes a difference if eat and drink well. So I had eggs, tuna, all sorts of vegetables, lentils. A banana. Whole grain bread with cheese. Two cups of coffee. 5 cups of green tea. One glass of milk. A couple of glasses of water. A multivitamin. And I'm still hungry.

It appears my body is working hard. But it's going in the right direction.

And I have a new sobriety song that I will put in the mini YouTube section as soon as I have a chance. Music really helps.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

That's good to hear Mike. Keep eating healthy, I let myself go and started eating junk and I felt horrible, eating better and taking vitamins has me feeling better. Even after almost 1 year and 10 months clean poor diet can hurt you.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScrewdUpInDe View Post
That's good to hear Mike. Keep eating healthy, I let myself go and started eating junk and I felt horrible, eating better and taking vitamins has me feeling better. Even after almost 1 year and 10 months clean poor diet can hurt you.
Definitely! I ate so much junk food, it's a miracle I didn't gain a ton of weight. But I'm one of those people who don't tend to gain weight much.

But apart from that, pizza's and all that stuff... simply disgusting. Healthy food makes a difference almost right away!

And I managed to put my sobriety song in my mini YouTube. One of my favorite singers. One of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard. And this song fits exactly for my situation.

And who it's sung to for me, only I know... And I'm keeping it that way.

Never mentioned them here, never will.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Keep at it Mike!
Old 02-13-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Mike
Old 02-13-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yep-good food is hard to beat. I have noticed that when I don't eat well I can feel it that very same day and when I eat well it doesn't take long to feel the benefit.

I have found cooking to be therapeutic sometimes; especially baking; especially homemade bread. I've got a new whole wheat roll recipe I'm going to try out soon. Sometimes I make something called sticky buns from the Fanny Farmer cookbook...there are cinnamon rolls with like a caramel coat on the bottom. Sinful for sure...The other day I made banana bread and I'm not sure what I like better: eating the banana bread or the wonderful smell it gives off while baking.