Notices

I finally found a great psychiatrist

Old 02-26-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Mera, I'm happy for you that you found a therapist who seems to be a good fit. I've been very fortunate in having several psychiatrists over the years who really helped me. Deal with the your own issues first - relationships are also important but if we are broken inside, that affects everything else.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Back from the appointment which went well. This doctor is amazing. So knowledgeable and also easy going and easy to relate too. I never thought i would feel comfortable with a male therapist but I do with him, it is great. Unfortunately he is so great that he is really booked up, I won't see him again for another two weeks. He upped my meds, which I found strange as I said I am feeling better, but I trust his judgement and will do as he says.
We spoke about a lot of things and a lot of his questions I answered "I don't know" I hope working with him I will figure some stuff out.
I consider myself relatively intelligent and emotionally aware but it is amazing to me the things he picked up on and pointed out to me, stuff I never considered before.
When talking about my alcoholism I relayed that I really felt that the Campral helped with the physiological cravings but I needed to work on the psychological cravings. He told me that my cravings are 100% psychological. He said if I were truly having physiological cravings I'd be getting the shakes, having to wake in the night to drink, etc. It's a good point. I always thought "I need to drink" but I don't really.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Sounds like things are looking up Mera--
I'm very happy you have some good meds and an excellent doctor to work with.
Also that your kids are home--is Jack still living with you or is he back at your Ex's?
Old 02-26-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mera, I think we all want a Mom at some time or other and it's understandable that you want your Mom around after what you've been through. But, I think Dee is right and you will find that you can manage on your own and that you are stronger than you think.

I'm glad things are going well with your therapist.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Do your best

Anytime cravings hit respond with this Mera a great sobriety tool is playing the tape & eating something sweet

Here are 2 great links to print out

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Congrats btw Mera
Old 02-26-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
-is Jack still living with you or is he back at your Ex's?
Jack is back with my ex, the gardener returned from India (with tons of fresh cashews from his family garden by the way, and some spices for me!). However, I am considering bringing him back here. He is now kept in an enclosure, which is very large but I still feel bad for him. He seems to miss me. These past few days I've gone to visit him and he gets really happy. I'd like to try and train him though, I can't handle the stress of him escaping from my yard. I've tried to patch up all the weak spots in my fence but he still gets out. I fear for his safety and that of the drivers who might swerve to not hit him. He is so dirty too but the vet says that German Shepherds have delicate skin and should not be washed.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Nonsense. And I've owned dogs for 25 years and worked in a vet practice.

Wash him...he'll feel wonderful and if it gets him your affection, I suspect he'd cheerfully go along with far worse than a bath.