Notices

Day 8

Old 02-11-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

#Awesome
Old 02-25-2016, 01:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just popping by the Main Room to report that it's going great. Day 23. I'm happy but cautious. I know that it would be very easy for me to have just one beer, and I realize I can't risk it.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Day 23 is excellent
Old 02-25-2016, 01:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

good going OOTT.
feeling better?

D
Old 02-25-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
good going OOTT.
feeling better?

D
yes and yes. My cold/flu thing is going away...I was able to jog last night so I'm feeling better.
As for my overall sobriety, I'm getting my mental alertness and wit back. My mental fogginess is mostly gone now.
Again, I'm amazed that one (significant) change can bring about so much good, both for me and the people around me. There's really no excuse for not being sober.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Any tips for what keeps you not drinking? Are you still going out enjoying yourself ?
Old 02-25-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Like the guy in Spinal Tap said, my motto is to have a good time, all the time.

But seriously, the best ally is just to keep busy.
I've found some music I like is triggers to drink, like the Replacements and the Who, so I have to be careful there.
I haven't gone out to a bar yet, but I really feel if I did for a social event, I'll be okay.
I'm getting married in July and going to Mexico in august. I think that will be the biggest test. I'm not worried about spiraling back to how I was....but I just don't want to open the door. Like I said, I was basically unaware of what I was doing when I was drinking heavily. It was like it was happening to someone else, and I'm afraid if I relapse, I'll go back to the sleepwalking mode.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Like the guy in Spinal Tap said, my motto is to have a good time, all the time.

But seriously, the best ally is just to keep busy.
I've found some music I like is triggers to drink, like the Replacements and the Who, so I have to be careful there.
I haven't gone out to a bar yet, but I really feel if I did for a social event, I'll be okay.
I'm getting married in July and going to Mexico in august. I think that will be the biggest test. I'm not worried about spiraling back to how I was....but I just don't want to open the door. Like I said, I was basically unaware of what I was doing when I was drinking heavily. It was like it was happening to someone else, and I'm afraid if I relapse, I'll go back to the sleepwalking mode.
That's a nice motto man & congrats on the wedding
Old 02-27-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great stuff Outonthetiles, keep pushing through!
Old 01-19-2018, 04:55 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I found this old thread of mine. This was the first thread I started. I sure have come a long way since then. I'm amazed and a little embarrassed that I was apparently keeping the door a little bit open to drinking "just one beer" back then. I somehow made it through those early days. Some of the things I wrote in 2016 are completely unthinkable to me now. I've gone out to sports bars, weddings, etc without any temptation to drink. I just have to remember that year 2 and beyond can be tricky because people get too confident in their sobriety. Eternal vigilance is the key.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I found this old thread of mine. This was the first thread I started. I sure have come a long way since then. I'm amazed and a little embarrassed that I was apparently keeping the door a little bit open to drinking "just one beer" back then. I somehow made it through those early days. Some of the things I wrote in 2016 are completely unthinkable to me now. I've gone out to sports bars, weddings, etc without any temptation to drink. I just have to remember that year 2 and beyond can be tricky because people get too confident in their sobriety. Eternal vigilance is the key.
OMG my dear OOTT!!! You scared me, friend - I saw this and started reading without looking at the date of the OP - and couldn't figure out why you titled a thread 8 Days NOW!

I need more coffee!

And - for the record- you have helped ME and I am sure others in your journey, especially getting to know you in our Class of Feb 2016 group. And this thread has helped me- a close friend is really struggling right now, over the last few weeks, and just lost her pet last night - in a dream, I heard myself saying something she has been saying: "I can't believe I had my last drunk" which isn't something I think of....vigilance and awareness and treating fleeting thoughts as just that is so important!

Here's to our third year of sobriety coming up!
Old 01-19-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hahahaha, I never even thought of that implication! Nope, it's an ancient thread I found when looking at my posting history. I thought it would be fun to give it a bump. Day 715 for me and holding steady! No worries, everything is going great.
Our third year, coming up in a couple weeks!!!!! It's just amazing. We are such rock stars!!

Speaking of pets, Sir Charlie Watts is on the bed next to me right now. The cat, not the famous drummer. He's really having trouble walking these days. It's really sad, but I'm taking good care of him. At some point I'm probably going to have to start taking him to work with me because he just can't get around any more.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your journey OOTT

D
Old 01-19-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Congrats from me as well OTTT! I love it when you say that we're rock stars, getting and staying sober ain't easy.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:52 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Rar

Well done OTTT. After several starts and relapses, I'm only on Day 10. I'm envious of your 3 years and wishing my sober time will pass quickly until I'm there too.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:49 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Rar, no need to be envious....the great thing about sobriety is that 100 percent of us can succeed and stay sober. Congrats on day 10. that is a fantastic start.
This thread is interesting because you can see how I was two years ago, what I was thinking, what my fears were, and how I feel today. My confidence has improved exponentially. Two years ago I was beaten down, fearful, scared that I was not only going to fail, but that I was going to die. What a difference a couple years of sobriety can make. I've posted this repeatedly, but EVERY aspect of my life has improved beyond all expectations.