Notices

Can't do it anymore

Old 02-10-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't do it anymore

I'm on day 1. Have been on SR site a few days and love the encouragement and learning what to expect with a new sober life. I have been a drinker for 20 plus years. Over the past year my drinking exploded to the point where it was a pint of something along with a few beers after work. I have been badly wanting to sober up during the past couple of months. Here I am now. I can't fool anyone or myself anymore. I know I am an alcoholic so do family and friends. I don't want to be messy drunk at the party anymore. I just want to wake up sober and feel good about myself and enjoy my family which I haven't felt in a long time. My drinking is a mixture of many things but started as an awesome time and thought that I really enjoyed the taste of single malt scotch or red wine. Now its my evening medicine. I use to enjoy many things but my nights and weekends became consumed with getting that buzz on and keeping it on!

Right now I am mostly concerned about WD and getting through today. I have an appt with primary care today to be safe. I plan to attend a meeting tonight and hope to attend at least two a week. I have a job that needs more of my attention so will focus on getting it together on this front. Stay hydrated and build up on more physical exercise. Eat well. Tell my wife that I am going to be a pain in a$$ for a while though I think she'll be happy with it.

So far in my day 1 I am feeling ok but tired and bit foggy and nervous about what to expect with WD. My anxiety is up and down. Only a few hours of sleep last night. Just trying to take it slow.

I am excited about this new plan for my life. It's been a long time coming, Just going to take it slow. I will report on my progress and hope to be able to encourage others down the road. Thanks for reading my wordy intro!
Old 02-10-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Wise to see a doctor. Be honest about your drinking and desire to quit and your concerns about withdrawals.

Stick close to SR.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That was me. A pint and some beers. All the time.

Sleep gets better soon but gets worse every time you drink heavily again and quit.

There many vitimans to help WD and sleep. Just google them.

You got this!
Old 02-10-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You're smart to get sober before something bad happens.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. A doctor visit and a meeting sound like a good start.

You should join us on the Class of February 2016 thread here. I'm also newly sober--10 days--and it's been a great source of support for me so far.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, HenryF. I am glad you are here with us. I hope you will post often and let us know how you are doing.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! There are lots of great supports on here, and stories of people sho have made it due to committing to a plan. Spend some time reading around today.

Glad you are here!!!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Old 02-10-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Welcome to SR you can definitely do it.

Seeing your GP and also checking out AA is a good suggestion as is joining the class of February 2016 where you can network with your peers who quit at the same time and are going through fairly similar things

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

I would also encourage you to join us at the 24 hours recovery connections where we commit not to drink or drug for the day. It is a fun supportive thread and way to hold ourselves accountable

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-106-a.html

You will find a lot of support on SR and I am glad you are here with us
Old 02-10-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad you've resolved to stop drinking. You mind and body will appreciate it. Glad also you're going to the doc to help with any initial WD issues. Hang in there!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome HenryF
Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome HenryF
Old 02-10-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Henry, I'm glad you found us and posted.

It sounds like you have a good plan!
Old 02-10-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Here we go

Was completely honest with the dr. He was awesome. My BP was up but was nervous. He's the first one aside from this forum who I told I am an alcoholic. I am fortunate that I have had the same PC for a long time. I have a follow-up next week.

After many time putting this off I am ready and willing to work hard at not drinking.

Now I just have to change my route home for work so I don't pass my medicine store!!

Thanks for all your early support.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Hi, Henry! I was a lot like you. Drinking a tremendous amount every day. I drank over 25 years (I'm 49 now). And today, I'm celebrating 30 days sober. I started feeling better almost right away. Today, 30 days in, I look and feel a decade younger. Rested. Energized. Engaged with life. Starting back into exercise.

It's SO worth it. You're doing it the right way. Being systematic -- seeing a doctor, getting support resources in place. A lot of folks post here with a bad hangover but won't go to the effort to see a doc or go to a meeting.

And I'm sure I don't need to mention this but I will -- there are many different programs, philosophies, resources that can help you. If, for example, you check out AA but it turns out not to be the right thing for you, please don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Check out another group. There are so many ways to skin this cat. The key as you know is to make a plan, implement it, modify it as needed, and keep it rolling.

Beware any thought that suggests you might have a drink or two on occasion. "Hey, it's been three weeks. I no longer crave the junk, so I'm sure a beer or two won't be a problem."

That thought is the Number One cause of failed sobriety.

Welcome back to life, Henry. I think you're gonna like it here.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the community HenryF. You've found a great place and sounds like you have solid plan.

Stick close.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Sounds like you've got your ducks in a row. Be strong, and turn here and to your group(s) if your strength falters. Welcome to SR.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Your experience sounds like mine. I'm 47 and drank most of my life with the past year accelerating until I got to this point. Thanks for the uplifting message. Last night I got a decent enough sleep. Bed was soaked maybe because I drank way more water and gatorade than I ever have. My little guy asked if I wet the bed but blamed on a bit of a fever!!! A bit agitated. But woke up to sunshine and feeling pretty darn good. Taking on day # 2.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent Henry
Old 02-11-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

We are here for you, HenryF. Keep posting. Let us know how you are doing.

Good luck. You can DO this!