Notices

Help! Feeling low in recovery...

Old 02-11-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey you

The post you wrote stood out to me as Today I feel bad and I will be 4 years drink free soon.

I think sometimes we forget that just as its not normal to drink to excess everyday, its probably also not normal to be over the moon with joy and happiness everyday either.

Be gentle with yourself.
Don't isolate if possible - I forced myself to a meeting on sat evening and felt lots better after.
I am bad for retreating into my cave when I feel down and it does no good. I realise that now.

I have to remind myself that just because I don't drink means that life will be plain sailing.
There will be ups and downs.

You can't have the highs without a few lows!

As for the AD's - may be good to speak to your GP.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

As mentioned, see your dr about the AD's. They might need adjustment. But also as said, life has it's ups and downs and I'd try to power thru the downs. I'm on AD's too and every day isn't a bowl of cherries.

You never mentioned if you get any exercise. If you don't start. It'll get you out of the house and away from isolating. When I decided to get sober it was one of the things I put into my plan. I started out slow just walking 15 minutes. I had to force myself many times. Now I'm doing 1 hour intense cycling classes three times a week. Augmenting that with stair climbing. And doing weights another 3 days. All at 150 days sober. It makes a big difference in my mood. And, yes, there are still days I have to force my self to go.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What you're feeling is normal. I'm going through it myself and so is a friend a met in rehab. It's exhilarating to be sober at first, but then reality hits and you feel like you're in limbo. I spent the last part of my drinking avoiding people and social situations and it will take a while to find that part of myself again. Like you, I used to be very social. Part of it might be that there is nothing to quell the anxiety anymore. Another part is that maybe you don't want to explain anything to people right now. I do think it's normal and will get better.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

An excellent thread, 0511. Some very informative and helpful replies, thanks, folks.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi. Yes, thank you everyone for taking time to post. Your thoughts and experiences are helpful to all. To the Op, you're doing well! Keep going! At almost 10 months sober, I definately isolate, but I've got some PTSD stuff going on. At 3 months, I didn't really recognize that I was doing it, so you're ahead of me!