SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   My Story In The Biginning (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/384756-my-story-biginning.html)

2thru1 02-09-2016 05:01 PM

My Story In The Biginning

Well here it goes. Opiates was just where I ended. When I was 29 years old I walked into my 1st NA meeting after a 6 year addiction to cocaine and even longer marijuana addiction. My life had become unmanageable and I surrendered, not kicking and fighting but happily. I welcomed the new way of life the program promised. After 2 yrs of complete abstinence from all substances. I returned to school received my Alcohol and Drug Abuse Certificate. Then proceeded to make a new Career as A Substance Abuse Counselor. For the next 15 yrs I worked in Residential Programs for Pregnant and Parenting Women. Intensive Out Patient Programs and Detoxes. Ending with my last 6 years in a position as a Program Manager for at risk youth. I was considered a Success story. When I was 16 yrs clean I began to suffer from chronic pain due to degenerative arthritis also was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. Within a year I became disabled . I was living in California at the time and my Primary Physician prescribed me Norco#10 for pain. I took these for 4 years never abusing them and most often taking less than prescribed. So in my Addict thinking and I am an "Addict" I could handle this, no problem. Fast forward my mom became I'll so I moved to SC to assist my sister with her care. Under the care of my new Dr. I told her the Norco was no longer managing my pain. Of course it wasn't by now I had built up a tolerance. Nature of the beast right . So she felt a medication was in order and prescribed me Roxy 15 mg. All Red Flags Waving I ignored. I quickly realized that I liked this drug way too much and soon was taking more daily than prescribed. The Monster was Fully Awakened and was Ready to Roll. So a year later I told her that the 15th was not managing my pain. She increased them to Roxy 30 mg IR. Now I'm moving down hill fast straight into the Nightmare of full blown addiction. I know this is long but please bare with me. I will spare the details but Ugly is Ugly and that's what it became. In the end anything would do, Vicodin, Codeine, Morphine, etc. You get the picture. Even at times Suboxen, as Withdrawal became my biggest fear. I was so tired by now and knew I was in trouble. I also new what I needed to do. So at the start of Jan 2016 I made a decision to Live. I wanted my life back. In reflecting over the past few of years the last one being the worst. I had to Admit I Was Once Again At The "Monsters Ball" Dancing With The Monster Himself. The Music Was Familiar . It Was The Same Old Album Just A Different Song. I Walked Off The Dance Floor ! By The Grace Of God. ON Jan 15th I took my last pill. Today I Awake Each Day Remembering That I Am An Addict. And That My Disease Does Not Discriminate As To What Drugs I Use. It Can Love Them All. Thanks for allowing me to share how it all begin. I'm 24 days and counting and moving on one direction. Full Throttle Straight Ahead because I Am 2thru1

loulou1981 02-09-2016 05:11 PM

Wow, u've been through alot!!!! Welcome to the forum. So many great people here. Congratulations on ur 1st few weeks!!!

JD 02-09-2016 05:17 PM

Welcome 2thru1. You've found a great site to help you. And congrats on 24 days. That could not have been easy.

Hevyn 02-09-2016 05:57 PM

It's great to have you here with us, 2thru1. Everyone understands what you've been going through.

24 days is wonderful - we know how hard you worked to get there. :)

Soberwolf 02-09-2016 11:48 PM

Welcome 2thru1