Notices

Digital drugs: Can binaural beats really get you high ?

Old 02-09-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

Digital drugs: Can binaural beats really get you high ?

This is not a play on words I've just seen this on SR's front page and at first I thought are they serious ? After checking it out and seeing for myself I was saddened & seriously shocked by this

Digital Drugs: Can Binaural Beats Really Get You High?

Thank you SR for bringing this to attention
Old 02-09-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not sure about this! Soon everything will be an addiction, well I do have a problem with shoes, I love them, I could buy shoes everyday, I don't (cuz I don't have the money, sigh) but I could!
Old 02-09-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Btw, binaural beats don't do much for me, although, I had a psychic experience when I was meditating with them, but I am by no means doing THAT all the time
Old 02-09-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I can honestly say that I have addictive tendencies towards using my smartphone. I've actually caught myself "sneaking off" to places I used to sneak off and drink when things get kind of overwhelming and seeking solace/escape in a digital form.

I view that as clear evidence that my addiction is a lot more than just the physical act of drinking alcohol.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm going to agree with you scott! I have a love hate relationship with my phone!
Old 02-09-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I don't think you guys get what I'm saying here there is actual binaural beat videos that are made to mimic the effects of marijuana cocaine LSD even I obviously didn't listen to these but if you google that question 'can binaural beats make you high' and search through videos youl see it

There are binaural beats ppl are getting high off - I feel silly saying this but check it out I thought SR was pulling a early april fools or something but a simple check confirms it

I found this out in the last 2 hours

Ps these are not normal binaural beat videos they are designed to mimic drugs
Old 02-09-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hmmmmmmm, I'll have to check this out. I tried binaural beats last month, as I was anxious about my father's declining health and was having trouble sleeping. Mind you, this was a traditional version, not designed to mimic effects of getting high.

The sound did not relax me enough to sleep, but my peaceful meditation music did.

Super interesting .
Old 02-09-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I listen to meditation videos or relaxing music to meditate too I have tried traditional binaural beat videos but not consistently like I do with guided meditation or relaxing music

Have any of the mods heard about this ? it's on SR's front page ? its bad enough with video games but people actually trying to get high ? this is sad
Old 02-09-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

I-dosing: How teenagers are getting 'digitally high' from music they download from internet | Daily Mail Online

http://brainblogger.com/2015/01/18/d...g-high-online/
Old 02-09-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

sup guys I read this article and it riled me for some reason so I wrote a long ass comment, but I'm pretty sure they aren't gonna approve it.

"

this is ridiculous. You are pretty much just using the negative connotation people have with "illegal drugs" to manipulate the reader's view on this kind of thing... The bias is ridiculous. This is an extremely manipulative article and I want the people in the comments to know that this is TOTAL BS. This is a clearly a clickbait for views and followers, and I think it's ****** up that you are trying to scare people away from something that could actually expand their mind and help them connect deeply with themselves.

You are pretty much saying that altered states of mind are always a bad thing. First of all, these beats do not have the physical properties of addiction. They can only be psychologically addictive, but literally anything can be psychologically addictive. Addiction happens when we rely on something to escape from something that is causing us anxiety or perceived potential danger. There is an innate "reward" chemical that gets set off when we find a way to seemingly escape perceived danger. This reward toppled on top of the innate reward of whatever that "something" that we use to escape is, makes the option of escape seem that much more appealing and makes the dictatorship of the escape stronger.

This means that someone could be "addicted" to something simple, like always holding 2 hands on the steering wheel while driving, for example. You might not think of this as an addiction, but if the person is scared of getting in a wreck or getting pulled over, and they've found comfort in holding 2 hands on the wheel to the point where they always do it and feel uncomfortable if they don't, then at the very least it is the same mechanism as an addiction. We can't get caught up in what the action is, the mechanism of addiction is the thing that is actually unhealthy. It's just if the thing the person is addicted to is also physically unhealthy, then that just makes it that much worse.
If someone is always holding 2 hands on the steering wheel as a way of dealing with the fear of wrecking, there are a couple things that will negatively impact their mind as a result of their decision. 1. They are giving dictatorship to the "chemical reward" feeling in their mind. If the person questioned their decision, they may think "oh hey well it isn't a bad habit and it helps me drive" or something like that, but the problem is that the ROOT of the idea stemmed from the chemical reward feeling that comes from escaping a fear. The decision was not made below that core, and anything they can think of to justify acting on that pathway is merely a justification. By allowing one's self to make decisions in this way, you are closing yourself from other possibilities that could potentially have better options, you are losing the potential for a more fluid state of mind while driving, and worst of all, you are allowing a bypass for more decisions to be made with the basis of the primal chemical reward system, and this makes it easier to become addicted to other things and you WILL use this mechanism of action in other things whether you want to or not. The only way to truly be free from the dictatorship of that reward system is to become aware of it, and then choose to act and think through the part of the mind that is able to understand reality irrelevantly to our body's needs/fears all of the time.

This is a transformation that can happen quickly or slowly, but there is no denying that acting on the chemical reward system may not cause negative effects immediately, but if you want to exercise creativity, learning, intuition, connectedness, and love, you must separate from your addiction to the dictatorship of that system and learn to act with the mind as a whole. I have found that the mind can only work truly fluidly if it is working as it is intended, if there are "pulls" from that reward system then actions will ignore what we truly need, what's around us, and how we can truly help ourselves and connect with ourselves and others. The reward system ignores truth, so while the rest of our mind is working naturally, this reward system, if given power, can take over the mind and "rewire it" so that it only seeks the pleasure, and therefore the mind will eventually become a servant of the body's protection and pleasure. The mind will become closed off to learning and spirit as it's pathways are wired around dictated survival. It shrinks and closes off into a little corner, whereas the more natural and healthy mind that is not controlled by the reward system can connect, create, and always expand, and expanding feels fulfilling and rewarding rather than scary. This is why buddhists, taoists, anyone who seeks spiritual paths, choose to adjust to this way of thinking. It allows us to evolve, and it is a necessary step in the evolution of man. We have taken the easy way out by allowing our body to make our difficult decisions for us, but it is by only making these decisions ourselves with a clear mind regardless of how scary it is, that we can truly grow as people. As soon as we choose to hide, we **** this process up and spiral negatively into addiction, or into cognitive dissonance. Fear and spirit cannot exist simultaneously without clashing. There is no balance of the two, fear must be evolved beyond. That is the only way.

So anyways, back to the beats binaural beats. They don't get you high, they don't provide an innate chemical reward that drugs like cocaine, meth, and opiates do. There are no binaural beat receptors in the mind. All they do is provide an altered state of mind, and altered state of consciousness, which can often be very introspective, meditative, and healthy for the progression and understanding of what we are, how our mind works, and the world around us. There is a difference between seeking an altered state of mind to expand our consciousness and seeking an altered state of mind in order to escape anxiety. The latter is unhealthy, and sure I guess these beats can do that, but they are FARRRR less unhealthy than using something like television, facebook, or other youtube videos to escape into instant gratification. At least if someone is using these beats to achieve an altered state of mind to escape, they are more likely to seek introspectively and understand how what they are doing is negatively impacting them. There are far less distractions and much less movement/chemical reward going on while meditating on these beats than escaping through the instant gratification of social media and click bait youtube videos. We have to remember, we have this escape mechanism for a reason; it allows us to become separate from our danger so that we can actually find a way to truly resolve it eventually. In the past, these businesses that want no more than to abuse the primal state of mind in order to make money did not exist, clickbait articles and instantly gratifying means of escape were not as prevalent. Sometimes, especially in this world, we need time away from the pressures of the world to sit with ourselves. There is NO ******* REASON to take this away from people. It is sitting in that anxiety and being forced into it with NO means of escape that breaks �people and truly ***** them up. They will lose touch with their spirit. We should not try to restrict access to these things or spread FALSE ideas. You do not know who you are hurting when you make these articles, or by deceiving the public and getting them to avoid things that allow in tuneness with our spirits and with each other.

Sometimes, we need to be in a state of mind separate from our current one to really objectively understand what's going on. Living in the same state of mind day to day is horribly unhealthy if we are unhappy, as we are just progressing our bad habits and compounding our mental and physical health problems. Sometimes, it can take a drug or youtube video to create this state of mind. We the people need to understand that there is a difference between doing something to grow and doing something to escape, and that anything and everything can be used for both. We need to uproot this false, negative societal connotat�on we have with "illegal drugs" and consider the drugs as they truly are, because they cannot be generalized. Psychedelic drugs such as marijuana and psilocybin (mushrooms) have been used by tribes and religions in the ANCIENT past in order to achieve higher states of mind and find a connection to God. There have been religions that formed with the BASIS of using entheogenic substances such as psilocybin in order to obtain enlightenment. We have psilocybin receptors in our minds for no reason other than to be able to use psilocybin... These receptors exist ONLY because we evolved WITH these mushrooms, and they are a gift from God in my eyes because there is little left in this world that isn't corrupted. They literally saved my life from falling into a pit of comfortable despair. Our society wants to have people think of all drugs as negative, but no, it is only the drugs that have the innate chemical "high" that have high potential for abuse, and even those drugs only have a negative effect if they are taken just to receive that pleasure or to escape. Psychedelics provide no innate high, they provide no escape from our problems, but they immerse ourselves in them so we can resolve them. People have used psychedelics and there is research in use of psychedelics in OVERCOMING ADDICTION. These binaural beats are more relevant to psychedelics in that they can rekindle us with our spirit when we have learned to live a life of self-deception and fear. Psychedelics and things that allow us to perceive our mind from a different perspective are discouraged in this world because they would challenge the ****** up intentions people who currently have power. Alcohol is encouraged though, since it provides relatively little insight to ourselves and can easily become an escape route.

We MUST BE OPEN! WE CAN'T MAKE CONCLUSIONS UNTIL WE HAVE EXPERIENCED OR TRULY UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING THAT THIS PERTAINS TO! PLEASE DON'T JUST ASSUME THAT BECAUSE SOMETHING IS COMPARED TO OR IS AN ILLEGAL DRUG THAT IT IS ACTUALLY BAD!!! The people with the most money have the greatest influence over our laws, and can easily corrupt media through their money to manipulate people's viewpoints however they see fit. This is why the perception of psychedelics has gotten so bad, because in the 60's, when they were getting big and people wanted change, they had to create fear measures to steer curious people away from them. My life was changed from one experience with psychedelics from YEARS ago. It literally saved my life. Please be open and reconsider your thoughts on perception changing drugs and do intense research before you go along with what you are used to thinking... pleaseee"

sorry if it like took up the whole page lmao. I don't know if they had bad intentions with the article but it def hit a bad spot. I don't like seeing other people being played with like toys and this is what it felt like to me at first anyways
Old 02-09-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I listen to meditation videos or relaxing music to meditate too I have tried traditional binaural beat videos but not consistently like I do with guided meditation or relaxing music

Have any of the mods heard about this ? it's on SR's front page ? its bad enough with video games but people actually trying to get high ? this is sad
No I haven't heard about this SW

I barely get the time to read all the forums let alone the front page (which is not run by the forum team)

Music can take us to another place for sure - you were a dj ,so you know that - and humankind has used repetition, rhythms, and chanting for a long time to try to get to a 'higher plane'...

but I'm not particularly outraged because, internet claims to the contrary, I'm not at all convinced this would work, as advertised

& I doubt your comment would be accepted thisisterriblee - only because I reckon they have a character limit

D
Old 02-10-2016, 12:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you D I think everyone is very mixed up I'm not saying anything bad about traditional binaural beats I'm saying I found out through SR that there are now some people trying to corrupt binaural beats to mimic highs this is nothing about the benefits of traditional binaural beats or meditation I'm trying to tell you guys there are some trying to corrupt this to mimic highs I know no one in recovery would do or try this

I feel no one is understanding what I'm saying here & that's ok but it was SR that alerted my attention to it

When I first read it I thought it was a joke but it isn't i can only hope that it fades out

AGAIN THIS IS NOT ABOUT TRADITIONAL BINAURAL BEATS THAT SERVE A PURPOSE IN RECOVERY & SPIRITUALITY
Old 02-10-2016, 12:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know SW...
I saw you were upset about it, and I was trying to put it in context, thats all.
Looks like I failed

What I'm saying is I'm skeptical about the claims being made about binaural beats highs.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4147

D
Old 02-10-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you D I only found out yesterday evening so it came as a shock when I saw ppl might try & manipulate what many use as meditation toolkits

I'm skepital too I kept thinking yesterday is this a joke

ps you never failed D

I saw videos yesterday ones for digital marijuana highs cocaine highs LSD highs that frightened me that kids might be doing that as it has much further & deeper implications

I don't know why some people would even try & corrupt a technology that's built for meditation
Old 02-10-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm also skeptical. I tried similar videos and got nada. I'd say don't sweat it. Its just marketing, not reality.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

if it's potentially hazardous, stay away from it

Pretty simple here. Just ask ur self: could this be a detriment on my own sobriety? If answer is yes, stay away. If the issue is: is this a problem to society's sobriety, that is nothing we can control and shouldn't attempt to anyway. We should always focus on our own selves.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kinzoku View Post
Its just marketing, not reality.
That made me laugh; pretty much mutually exclusive I'd say.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

I've listened to binaural beats, but not the ones that claim to mimic a drug. I've done enough illegal drugs and I've gotten high a zillion times, I don't choose to get high on binaural beats or illegal drugs today (or legal ones). There are many out there that don't give you a mimic high!!
Old 02-10-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This old Bass Player & Sound Engineer gave a listen to a few Tracks on You Tube. Interesting, but nothing came of it. I was using only decent Ear Buds, however, I need to find my Studio Quality Sennheiser Headphones to get full Bass response.

All the claimed Side Effects from Binaural Beat Tracks listed on the side of the You Tube Page certainly piqued my curiosity.

My initial assumption is that the Placebo Effect/Power of Suggestion is part of this claimed phenomenon. More testing to follow...
Old 02-10-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think curiosity is the bait for a lot of these things Mesa.

D