Notices

Im new to this site, in need of a little TLC

Old 02-09-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
joh

Unhappy Im new to this site, in need of a little TLC

Hi , I'm really not sure if I'm in the right place for a bit of support. My husband of 15 yrs is an alcoholic and I think ive found his hidden bottles of bourbon one too many times . I love him but now feel so sad that I can not feel there is any hope for us. He wont go to AA he changes the subject and says sorry and tells me to "move on and not keep dwelling on the past'' Is there any way for me to make this work?
Old 02-09-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

If you mean is there any way to help your husband stop drinking, that's unlikely. I do hope he makes the decision to stop drinking and begin recovery. But, there are ways to help yourself. You might check out AlAnon in your area for support for yourself. You might also check out our Friends & Families forum on this board.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You cannot control what he does, but you can control how you react to it. I suggest AlAnon for you, for support. And we have a friends and family forum which you might find helpful.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

best thing you can do is get yourself some support, learn all you can, bolster your own well-being through self care, therapy if necessary, support to empower you with the strength to understand that;

This is not your fault

Your husband's condition is not within your control

Your husband's condition is not within HIS control unless/until he decides he wants it to change

Don't think too far into the future of what-if... just focus on taking those steps for now. You came to a good place for insight, education and support.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are going through this.

A woman posted a great poem she wrote called Alcohol versus love. Its a wonderful read.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome joh youl find tons of support here x
Old 02-09-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I really suggest you seek out an Al Anon meeting for yourself. Best of luck to you!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey joh,

Well, you've made a very important first step for yourself - by coming here. As stated above, it would also be highly recommended to find a group that you could attend.

Isolation is one of the most pernicious evils of alcoholism. Whether your are the drinker or a loved one - you feel like you're alone in the world. For better or worse, there are millions of us!

You are not alone.

I also agree that trying to change your husband is virtually impossible. Even if and when he decides to do that himself - it won't be easy.

Just like they say in the airplane safety demo - "Put your own oxygen mask on first before helping others."

Take care of yourself and check back here often - you will find lots of support here.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Joh!!