Notices

What comforts you?

Old 02-09-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I love to dance and sing. I am really a horrid singer, but I never sky away from singing in the car or even doing karaoke the few times I've come across it. I also get great comfort from working in my yard/garden. I love mowing the grass, planting new things, pruning my roses and sawing dead limbs off trees. I just bought a nectarine tree over the weekend and will put that in the ground when I have decided on the right spot for it. I didn't do a winter garden but will start planing seeds for my summer garden in a few weeks. Last year I was full of peas, zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuces, celery, carrots, strawberries and melons. My peppers didn't grow for some reason, but I'll try again this year.
I love to sing too, my kids make faces when I do it but I love it! Not enough to do karaoke though, eek!!

Growing things is a really good idea, also it moves you on from that instant gratification thing as planting and waiting is a whole different kind of satisfaction.

I'm going to plan some planting ready for the spring : )))
Old 02-09-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Feeling so much fitter and healthy now my workouts are more than just an attempt at detox.
Loving and caring for my lovely crazy dog.
Feeling so much more on top of things, work, housework, self awareness.
Simple stuff, feeling well and aware enough to notice the weather, the trees, the birds, the season changing slowly.
Reading every night before bed (no blurred vision problem!)
Great thread!
XX
Old 02-09-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

This thread is awesome and currently I'm in a cuddle with Mrs sw
Old 02-09-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Since getting sober, I'm reminded of just how much I like exploring new recipes. I've been trying out crockpot recipes as part of trying to get on a better diet. Lots of chicken related things. So far I've yet to find a dud.

I also love the feeling of tucking away into my bed with my heat blanket on a cold winter night sober and ready for a good night of sleep. Equally better is waking up in the morning all warm and cozy without a hangover knowing a new sober day is ahead.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
This thread is awesome and currently I'm in a cuddle with Mrs sw

How lovely!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Waking up on the weekend early and knowing i have a full day ahead of me with no hangover. I just get giddy thinking about it.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say thank you for this post/thread. I am onto 6 days clean for opiates. I posted earlier about struggling to find that thing in every day that will make me want to continue on a happier more positive path. Something that will take my mind away from what it is craving. So seeing all these things that others fine comforting is very reassuring and makes me feel hopeful that I will find my comfort in every day. I'm looking forward to finding enjoyment in the things that I feel I lost. Reading, music, adventures, and all the other things that I put off so many times because I was just so comfy and warm in my little high bubble. So thank you again
Old 02-09-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brooke85 View Post
I just wanted to say thank you for this post/thread. I am onto 6 days clean for opiates. I posted earlier about struggling to find that thing in every day that will make me want to continue on a happier more positive path. Something that will take my mind away from what it is craving. So seeing all these things that others fine comforting is very reassuring and makes me feel hopeful that I will find my comfort in every day. I'm looking forward to finding enjoyment in the things that I feel I lost. Reading, music, adventures, and all the other things that I put off so many times because I was just so comfy and warm in my little high bubble. So thank you again
In the beginning I would see a post like this and literally swear at it, "F off, nothing is as good as being smashed" but slowly I've realised that lots of things are amazing, they are not the same as the effects of drugs / alcohol but they are such simple pleasures that can be really truly enjoyable. Today I called in to a village hall and was greeted by 6 people smiling and one hugging me. That is special, had I been hungover I would have been anxious, paranoid, I may have showed the effects of the night before. Instead I sat down, had a coffee, had a chat and bounced back out of there full of beans : )))
Old 02-09-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Do your best

Just took the dog out for his 3rd and final walk of the day I was out 15 mins and when I took my hat off my ears were on fire so chilly tonight

My comfort tonight will be a radox for men muscle therapy bath & dove for men extra fresh body wash then a warmed up housecoat & a cup of tea
Old 02-09-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It's simple and kind silly maybe, but it comforts me knowing that If I get pulled over by the police I know I don't have to worry about getting a DUI.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Relaxing after a workout and a snack. - Mel
Old 02-09-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Old 02-09-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Carl, I can't see the picture.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Tea and biscuits!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by least View Post
Carl, I can't see the picture.
A dog in the lap is a comforting thing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ginger with bows.jpg (41.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 02-09-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
A dog in the lap is a comforting thing...
Two is even better!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dogs in lap.jpg (44.9 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-09-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Everything is no longer an effort! Waking up, eating breakfast, singing in the car... and i haven't even drove out of my drive yet...(OMG I'm becoming Maude Flanders!)
If something or someone chages my good mood today I know it's not from being hungover.
I am fair, level headed and an all round value adding person these days.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Remembering the ending of a film/tv show from the night before

Also just feeling on top of work and life and super productive, not buried under unfinished tasks
Old 02-09-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

It has been too long since I have genuinely felt really good. But to answer the question, helping people or animals makes me feel good. It gives me a sense of satisfaction I can't really describe. On the other hand, I often feel good holing up in my man cave and just spending hours by myself. I know, I'm kind of odd.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:17 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
It has been too long since I have genuinely felt really good. But to answer the question, helping people or animals makes me feel good. It gives me a sense of satisfaction I can't really describe. On the other hand, I often feel good holing up in my man cave and just spending hours by myself. I know, I'm kind of odd.
I get a lot of satisfaction out of helping people or volunteering. But also on a day off I love settling down to do nothing, and not feeling guilty about it because I've got a pounding head and couldn't actually do "anything" if I tried.

I love colours, I have a bag of scrap fabrics that I want to make something out of, it won't be top quality but I'll enjoy the process!