Notices

02/08/16

Old 02-09-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by BD84 View Post
Detoxing and intending to never get sloppy again. I wont touch a sip so long as I feel any AV. The AV not only says drink today but says keep going and going and going. Its the drinking to get drunk that is going to stop.

The thought of just saying no for the rest of my life sucks. People know whats up then and as far as now this is between my wife and I and you guys.
Saying no "forever" is a very difficult concept to fathom. Your idea of keeping it to a couple of weeks is a good way to get started - saying no forever can come later.

Regarding your AV though, it's already talking to you. Think about it logically...what could possibly have changed that would somehow allow you to "control" your drinking again - ever? That's purely your addiction talking again. Whether you wait one week, one month, or one year...you are still going to be an alcholic.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Detoxing and intending to never get sloppy again. I wont touch a sip so long as I feel any AV. The AV not only says drink today but says keep going and going and going. Its the drinking to get drunk that is going to stop.
My AV says whatever it takes to get that first drink. Some of my favorite lies from my addiction:

"Hey, we'll only have one today." My AV loved this one. It knows that once I take that first one, all bets are off. I might "just" have one or two more. I might drink for the next 24 hours.

"It'll be OK to drink today as long as we drink an equal amount of water" was another favorite of my AV. That plan usually lasted until about drink #3 when the water glass was soon forgotten.

"We'll go ahead and drink as much as we want today because starting tomorrow/next week/next month, we're going on the wagon" is a classic from my AV. There was always a reason to postpone the next day one once I'd started drinking.

"I'll be OK as long as I don't drink any (tequila/whiskey/vodka/insert the name of whatever drink I last overindulged in here)" always worked until I had 2 or 3 drinks in me and someone offered me that shot of tequila, etc., and I decided it'd be OK if I drank that specific drink after all, that the last time was just a fluke.

"We're going to go to the bar tonight but once we spend $20 that means we've had enough and we're going home" was always a fun one. Once I got to the bar and got that first drink in me, I soon decided that $20 shouldn't include whatever I was going to tip. And then what if someone bought me a shot? I had to return the favor, right? And certainly that shouldn't go against my strict budgetary limit I'd set myself. That wouldn't be fair.

"You can have 10 drinks this week. Once you reach that number, that's it for the week. So you can either drink all 10 in one night or spread them out over the entire week or save them all for this weekend, but no matter what, 10 drinks is it. Period" was one of my favorites. Double drinks only count as one drink against that ten drink limit, right? And what about those humongous wine glasses that leave a lot of room for the wine to breath? If I fill that glass to the top, it's still just one drink, right?
Old 02-09-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Its the drinking to get drunk that is going to stop.
In your own words, from your first post, that's unlikely to happen:

Unfortunately I do not have the power to control intake once I start...
If you don't believe us, at least believe yourself.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you got a plan
Old 02-09-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Have you got a plan
The plan is 2 weeks. Thats all I got for now and thats a huge step. Hopefully after that it will be like Forrest Gump running. Gotta start somewhere.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The thought of just saying no for the rest of my life sucks. People know whats up then and as far as now this is between my wife and I and you guys.
I first got sober nearly 2 years ago, and I can probably count on one hand how many times people noticed or cared. To be quite honest, your continued drinking is not nearly as important to other people as your AV would have you believe. It's important to the part of you that wants to continue drinking.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Make a real effort to change your routine. Replace the time you drink with something else. Makes it much easier and you will be enjoying life more.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Exactly what Scott and Chinaski said. Maybe you don't recognise it yet but your AV is already talking to you. What do you think is telling you you want that first beer anyway? It's your AV.

If you're going with this 2 week trial period plan then at least keep a daily record from now until then about how you feel. Keep going as you do the social drinking. Then compare.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Don't you think your wife and kid deserve more than just a couple of weeks of sobriety from you?
Old 02-09-2016, 11:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a nice day & best wishes for today
Old 02-10-2016, 02:32 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Day 7 for me.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome & Congratulations Outonthetiles
Old 02-10-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Day 3 and feeling amazing. I Have had plenty of day 3's and felt amazing. The weekend was binge time. Not anymore. No hiding that liquor because no buying that liquor.

This weekend will be the first one sober in many years and I am looking forward to replacing that sitting and drinking time with something constructive.

The next weekend will be the test as a few social functions will happen. I am here to pledge: I will not pre drink, I will not drink to get drunk, and I will not black out. <- That is for accountablitty. Things are changing this time.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 3
Old 02-10-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You've gone from this: I have commited to 2 weeks with 0 alcohol.

To this, in a matter of days:
The next weekend will be the test as a few social functions will happen. I am here to pledge: I will not pre drink, I will not drink to get drunk, and I will not black out.
Meaning you plan to drink. Okay. Not sure how SR can help you beside pointing out your inconsistencies and wavering commitment to sobriety. By the way, you quit on a Monday. So two weeks ends after next weekend.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Starting day 8.
I'm worried about Valentines Day. S/O and I are going out and I have "permission" to get beer with dinner. I need resolve not to order beer.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Starting day 8.
I'm worried about Valentines Day. S/O and I are going out and I have "permission" to get beer with dinner. I need resolve not to order beer.
In the end, nobody but yourself can give you permission to take that first drink. Make this a memorable Valentine's by making it a sober one.

Also, welcome to SR and you should join us other newcomers in the Class of February 2016 thread here. It's been a great source of support for me so far through day 10.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You've gone from this: I have commited to 2 weeks with 0 alcohol.

To this, in a matter of days:

Meaning you plan to drink. Okay. Not sure how SR can help you beside pointing out your inconsistencies and wavering commitment to sobriety. By the way, you quit on a Monday. So two weeks ends after next weekend.
Great point. Its not AV. I will do better. 12 days to be more spacific. I am going to give this a try and intend not to fail.

2 fridays in a row without is pretty exciting for me. So is going to the mentioned events w/o predrinking and actually enjoying and remembering is exicting. I dont deserve it but some encouragement would be nice.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I dont deserve it but some encouragement would be nice.
No one is going to encourage you to drink, and you plan to drink in a "controlled" manner next weekend.

We will certainly encourage you on your progress, and you have received that already, read back through the thread.

But regarding your plans for next weekend, you already have ample evidence from the past that you cannot control your drinking. Thinking that you will be able to is simply your addiction talking.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
No one is going to encourage you to drink, and you plan to drink in a "controlled" manner next weekend.

We will certainly encourage you on your progress, and you have received that already, read back through the thread.

But regarding your plans for next weekend, you already have ample evidence from the past that you cannot control your drinking. Thinking that you will be able to is simply your addiction talking.
I have always been open and honest here and will continue to do so. I have come so far and have made the decision to no longer binge drink and no longer consume any at all very often. I will make it through these events sober and happy then be here to report back.

Thanks for the support. It really means a lot. I will not fail and let you guys down.