Notices

Fed up of the guilt and shame. New to the forum.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberween View Post
The good news is you never have to feel like this again. Put a plan in place for when that moment comes (and it will come, usually Friday night at 5pm) and you flirt with the idea of drinking again. I've been sober for awhile and waking up feeling great never gets old.
Soberween,

Yup, that's what i'm worried about. Walking out of work on a Friday and being able to walk straight past the supermarket, instead of going in to buy wine ... Because my AV will be like, "You don't have a problem, you just have some stuff going on at the moment, I'll help you relax."

I have to say I am looking forward to waking up feeling great for more than a couple of days at a time.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Welcome to SR, lots of good advice above, and sounds like you have already started by apologizing at work, nicely done!

I have been on and off her for a few years, and had a few stretches of sobriety, however, once I had some time under my belt I started to think "What is the harm in one glass of wine..." I made the decision to make 2016 my first of many sober years, and with the help of SR and sticking to a plan I am on day 39 today.

Would love to have you along on this journey! Spend some time reading and posting, and also check out Dee's link about having a plan, that has been crucial for me to stick with my decision.

❤️Delilah
Thank you, Delilah

Well done on reaching day 39, that's such a great achievement. I haven't been here long, but it's already been a great support, so many inspiring things and great advice from people who know what they're talking about.

I'll check out Dee's link about having a plan, cheers for the tip.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
Alcohol is a depressant and makes many people miserable. Some it just takes more than others to get to that miserable state.

When I drank moderately, I was ok. But when it became every day, the first drink was ok, but the rest made me hate everything. I dont know why I didnt see it sooner!
I can definitely identify with this. I have a tendency to lean towards miserable, I am only now trying to do something about it. I think hitting 30 has made me realise that I need to change things.

It's a vicious circle, isn't it? You feel miserable so you drink everyday and then that drinking makes you feel even worse.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
I'm so sorry. I can relate, I've definitely had way too much in front of work colleagues and had to face the music the next day. Best thing to do is apologize briefly, say it won't ever happen again, and then quit drinking so it never happens again.

Easier said than done for sure.
Thanks, Kittycat

Luckily they were OK about it. I did upset one of them a lot (a couple of my colleagues I would class as friends) and I am still dealing with the consequences, but as you say, the main thing is not to repeat it ever again.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

How are you going?
Old 02-10-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Welcome HF, you've found a great place. Sounds like you've already identified and faced up to a couple of really hard challenges that come early in this journey and that's great. You sound in a good place to do this. It's not easy and the road is long and winding, but it's so worth it. Everyone at SR is here to help. Best of luck.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Halcyonflux,

Welcome to SR. I have been in very similar shoes to yours many times before. You are far from the only person to feel the way you're feeling today.

Not long ago I too had a tremendously embarrassing incident that involved my friends and family. For absolutely no reason at all I left a gathering at my home with friends to go to a bar. I was drunk when I left, got far more drunk where I went and blacked out on the way home. Without getting into too much detail and friend of mine very nearly got a dui when the police stopped to check on us in a parking lot on our way home. It was all my fault and ridiculous. The next morning was one of, if not the lowest point in my life. I had all the raw emotions you are having now for a couple of days.

Like another poster wrote, use these emotions and turn the experience into a positive. Make this your rock bottom and get help now. It gets better, people forget and you move on faster than it feels right now. I'm 37 days sober now and am beginning to really feel amazing. As humiliated as I am about that experience and several others the positivity from them causing me to rethink drinking is all WAY worth it.

Don't be too hard on yourself but consider apologizing to your co-workers and learn from what happened. Hang around here there is a lot of support, help and great people.

I wish you nothing but the best.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I can relate as I also have been the drunken fool at an office party. I hit on co-workers wives and girlfriends. Cringe worthy behaviour that took me a long time to live down. I would never do such a thing when sober. The best we can do is forgive ourselves and let time heal and not drink.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SansaS View Post
How are you going?
Hi, Sansa. How are you?

Because I am a binge drinker and i havent been in a situation where I would normally drink, I don't think I've faced my first challenge yet.

I have had cravings, I am habitual - would come home from work, but a bottle of wine and drink it all over the course of the evening. I'm keeping busy, the gym is helping me a lot (I'm a runner).

I have a lot of negative thoughts about myself, about my actions and about my drinking. Not being able to dull them with alcohol is something I need to learn to do. This isn't going to be a quick process ...

The dreams have also started. I had them when I gave up smoking. It's like my subconscious is working through the loss of drink as a coping mechanism.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TrulyMe View Post
Halcyonflux,

Welcome to SR. I have been in very similar shoes to yours many times before. You are far from the only person to feel the way you're feeling today.

Not long ago I too had a tremendously embarrassing incident that involved my friends and family. For absolutely no reason at all I left a gathering at my home with friends to go to a bar. I was drunk when I left, got far more drunk where I went and blacked out on the way home. Without getting into too much detail and friend of mine very nearly got a dui when the police stopped to check on us in a parking lot on our way home. It was all my fault and ridiculous. The next morning was one of, if not the lowest point in my life. I had all the raw emotions you are having now for a couple of days.

Like another poster wrote, use these emotions and turn the experience into a positive. Make this your rock bottom and get help now. It gets better, people forget and you move on faster than it feels right now. I'm 37 days sober now and am beginning to really feel amazing. As humiliated as I am about that experience and several others the positivity from them causing me to rethink drinking is all WAY worth it.

Don't be too hard on yourself but consider apologizing to your co-workers and learn from what happened. Hang around here there is a lot of support, help and great people.

I wish you nothing but the best.
Hi Truelyme,

Thank you for sharing your story with me. The bit that really stood out was the 'absolutely no reason at all' comment. I know that feeling. "Kim, why did you think it was a good idea to drink so much that you became abusive, full on and just altogether a nightmare?" Yeah, there was no reason, the drink had control of me and I'm not strong enough to drink in moderation. It has me hooked.

Thank you for your positive words. That night was my rock bottom, as yours was for you, and I'm determined to use it to help me realise i can live a better life than that. Also well done on reaching 37 days, that's such an amazing thing. I hope to get there myself and talking to you and others on SR is helping immensely.

Wishing you all the best as well
Old 02-10-2016, 11:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I can relate as I also have been the drunken fool at an office party. I hit on co-workers wives and girlfriends. Cringe worthy behaviour that took me a long time to live down. I would never do such a thing when sober. The best we can do is forgive ourselves and let time heal and not drink.
Know that feeling, wastinglife. Forgiving myself for all the mistakes I have made is what I am finding very difficult. But as you say, time is a healer.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:15 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MAV View Post
Welcome HF, you've found a great place. Sounds like you've already identified and faced up to a couple of really hard challenges that come early in this journey and that's great. You sound in a good place to do this. It's not easy and the road is long and winding, but it's so worth it. Everyone at SR is here to help. Best of luck.
Thank you, Mav. Really appreciate your support
Old 02-10-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Smile

Yes, the office picnic very embarrassing. People do forget and respect that you have changed. Welcome Halcyonflux and welcome to the halcyon days of sobriety.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Ugh wastinglife, sorry. I have done things while drinking I would never do sober in a million years. It lowers inhibitions and can bring up all kinds of nasty behavior.

Good news is that you can rebuild. I know people who have acted foolish in public in the past and with enough time and good behavior, their actions have faded from memory. If you can stay sober you know it won't happen again and you can develop a reputation as a sober and well-behaved person.