Notices

Morning routines

Old 02-07-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Beautiful Recovery

Morning routines

Hello, I was wondering....what are some morning routines you guys have? I have been wanting to find and try a morning routine such as meditate, yoga etc. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Wake up, have a couple of cups of coffee, and check in here. Shower, do some housecleaning or other chores as needed. If it's a workday, I'm at work by two. If not, run errands starting around noon.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wake up, check in here, take vitamins and healthy morning shake.
The brave the world
Old 02-08-2016, 12:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wake up at 6am, shower, cup of tea, drink tea while checking SR and playing online scrabble, watch some motivational recovery stuff on YouTube, then crack on with the day ahead : )))
Old 02-08-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

When I was just starting out, a prayer for strength to make it through the day sober was part of my routine, and a prayer of thanks for all the good things that sobriety had brought or will bring to me.

And logging on to SR.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Meditation is a excellent idea as is writing to do lists the night before I like a tea & seeing the news then meditation
Old 02-08-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just wanted to make it through the day and go to bed sober. That was my #1 thing. In early days, I went to morning AA meetings. That caused me to get up at a set time, eat, shower, get dressed and get out of the house and be around people in a fairly safe environment. I protected my serenity at all costs. Lots of self care such as eating a good healthy breakfast, making the bed, reading spiritual writings, not engaging with people who were negative or critical.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My morning routine since getting sober is, wake up feeling good and ready for the day. Let the dogs out, then give them a good breakfast.

And daily visits to SR.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wake up, have a vape, take my daily vitamin, grab a shower and shave, pack my lunch, check in here on my recovery journal, drive to work on weekdays, get a cup of coffee when I arrive and then have a breakfast bar or bowl of cereal at my desk.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sobersjg View Post
Hello, I was wondering....what are some morning routines you guys have? I have been wanting to find and try a morning routine such as meditate, yoga etc. Thanks.
Morning routines are important.... at one point, running was a morning routine... or working out in some fashion.

Over the last several months, that changed. Somewhere along the way it shifted to going straight to the coffeepot, having too much coffee, spending too much time on the computer and blowing precious time doing things that weren't important and contributed to stress.

Lately I've made a small shift; in the morning when I get up - the first thing I do is take the dogs for a walk. It gets my body moving but isn't as daunting as trying to get motivated for a run that early. It gets the dogs out, and gives them exercise and reduces their rambunctiousness throughout the day. It invigorates me physically and I find I'm much more likely to then go for a run or get to the gym. I find I'm less likely to overeat, eat unhealthy choices, or over-caffeinate myself. It's also a great time to get out of the house and out of my mind a little. Doing a 'moving meditation' and just letting thoughts flow, but then let them go. Being out in fresh air, nature.... it's a really positive way to start the day.

Morning routines of gratitude, exercise, meditation are extremely powerful.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My routine is 1000% better today.

It used to be have coffee with vodka. Then a smoke, then a dip (chew tobacco). Followed by another coffee with vodka. Then, probably go back to bed if I wasn't working as most likely I didn't sleep well.

Today:
Wake
Give thanks
Review my goals for the day
Meditate
Shower and use that time to notice how great I feel.
Go!
Old 02-08-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've found the daily reflections from AA a nice way to start the day. My anxiety has been pretty high since I quit alcohol (and coffee) last week, so it helps me find some inner peace.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In the beginning and still now, I just need a little while to myself to collect my thoughts and plan for the day. Other than that, get out of bed, shower, get dressed, make my "green" smoothie and roll out to work.

I would like to try and do some moderate exercising in the morning, but it is so darn dark outside its impossible right now.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wake up, grab a couple cups of coffee, read SR, excercise if I don't have school or have my kids with me. Next I make an effort to try meditate. If I have my children with me then I get them up n ready n off to school then get into my routine. If I have class then it's usually just coffee, shower, class. The excercise n meditation goes after. I do pray but usually at the end of the day when my sober head hits the pillow, with a prayer of thanks for the day and all the good things in my life!