Notices

Here We Grow Again Weekender Feb 5 Pt 2

Old 02-09-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Feliz noches, gang.

Quite frio down here today - think the high was 62f/17c! What a crock. I thought this was Guatemala, not Alaska. I didn't move all the way down here to wear sweaters and (*gasp*) jeans. Apparently all those fronts that have been passing through the East Coast are affecting the climate down here....so they say. Reckon next week should be back to normal.

My mom's coming down next week, in fact. Her 2nd visit. She'll be hanging out at La Casa del Bigsombrero for a week or so, we're also going up to Lake Atitlan for a few days. Should be fun. I used to dread family visits, as it meant a change in my drinking habits. These days I still get a little perturbed, as I subscribe to the "houseguests are like fish, they begin to smell after 3 days" school of thought. But, it's my mom. She's flying all the way down here - whattya gonna do? I do enjoy showing visitors new things that I've discovered and sharing some inside knowledge.

Went to look at a new casa today. Thinking about moving to new digs and there was a cool rental open nearby. Country-style livin', big house but alas there wasn't much of that "flavor" I like. Weird little neighborhood, small kitchen, strange backyard. But really cool place otherwise, 3brs, 2 bath, etc. Affordable rental, 1 year minimum.

Anyway, it was nice to check it out but I think I have a few other fish to fry the next 1.5 months. I've got my mom the next week and a half, and then I'll be on the keys off Belize for 2 weeks. And of course working the whole time! This weekend: relaxing V-day trip up to Lake Atitlan with the ladyfriend. Rented a fine little cabin with a nice view. Lots of trekking around here at the start of 2016 for this sober dude.

Thanks for reading the ramblin', needed to unload/write down all that stuff. I start to struggle if I don't get all my ducks in a row!
Old 02-09-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post

Quite frio down here today - think the high was 62f/17c! What a crock. I thought this was Guatemala, not Alaska. I didn't move all the way down here to wear sweaters and (*gasp*) jeans. Apparently all those fronts that have been passing through the East Coast are affecting the climate down here....so they say. Reckon next week should be back to normal.
You're a Minnesota native, if I remember correctly.

And so, dear Big Sombrero, you know just how much sympathy you'll get from me hearing that it only reached 62 today in Guatemala!
Old 02-09-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I just ventured out to go take the son out for dinner. It's about 10, with a stiff breeze. no sympathy from me either, BigS.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Okay Venecia - you win. I guess it is Guatemala, after all, and not Minnesota!

I can tell because of the distant "booms" that sound like a flat bed truck being loaded with cinder blocks. That sound is coming from this thing. Took the photo an hour ago, I know I've shared similar but it never ceases to amaze me.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:03 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Drifting off to sleep now. So glad the partying is over.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

I would love to hear that bigs. That would be awesome.

Goodnight everyone.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Nope, no sympathy here either on the balmy 62 degrees as I walked into a stiff head wind, snow flying and 9° expected overnight. But, it is what you're accustomed to BigS. Sounds lovely no matter what the temp. Enjoy.

Husband disassembling the dryer. Maybe one day it'll be fixed. Laundry is piling up.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:28 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

It's supposed to be 10 degrees F tomorrow morning and down to 3 by Thursday so 62 sounds pretty good right about now. Of course I'm under my heated blanket so the outside temp is of no concern to me at the moment. Food coma plus warm blanket = sleepy time for me very soon.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Heated blankets sound cozy.

Have to say, this winter hasn't been bad for us at all. It'll be warming up soon enough and there hasn't been much shoveling either.

Getting to be bedtime here too.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Here in Indiana we have only had a few inches the entire winter and it's been well above average temps most of the time as well. We've gotten lucky considering how the east coast has had it!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:05 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

I opened up a can of worms by drinking the other night.

The AV came back tonight and was like see, it wasn't that bad? You're irritated from work right now, you know what to do. No one will know.

It took alot to get my car to go home without buying anything.

I forgot about that part when I drank. And now I have to squash the little bugger all over again.

Please give me the strength to learn from my mistake, to keep the memory fresh of how awful I felt drinking and the next day, to keep me humble, to learn, to do anything anything I can to keep moving forward, please let me strive for stability and peace, glimpses of which I fought so hard for and were so precious. Amen.

Once I got in my house I felt a little weird for a few minutes but now I am just filled with a sense of relief. I escaped the monster.

I didn't consider any of this when I wanted to drink. I thought of the hangover but I talked myself past it. I forgot about waking the monster.

xoxo
Old 02-09-2016, 10:01 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

That AV will always be there. But every time you resist, the monster gets a tiny bit weaker. I like to think of it shrinking away, little by little, as time goes by. I'm hoping that someday, it's the size of a gnat. Just a tiny little irritant that can easily be swatted away.

You can do this, Melina. You did it for 8 months. You know how. I'm glad you resisted tonight. One day at a time.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:04 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Happy humps day!

Tetra, thank you for sharing that email - you see what a beautiful person you are? When you do something selfless people remember it

That volcano pic is spectacular BigSomb - i suppose people get used to living near it but I would be nervous
Old 02-09-2016, 10:06 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on stomping that AV melina
Old 02-09-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Do your best

Morning
Old 02-10-2016, 02:05 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I have no sympathy for you as well BigS. Lol Keep those pics coming. I always love them. They bare amazing.

Work sucked yesterday. Let's see if it can go better today. I think it will.

No idea what next weeks theme will be. I usually think of something in the morning.

Got my income tax back!! Yeah! Right on drunk druggie debt.

Off to work!

K
Old 02-10-2016, 02:25 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Good morning! Husband and pig are both horribly snoring. Guess I'll wake up and go to the gym.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:09 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Happy hump day all....

....and ash Wednesday, if you are that way inclined. When I was a schoolboy, the totalitarian men in black used to come into the class room and paint black ash on your forehead. And today you would make a commitment to giving up something for a few weeks.

Greeting everyone. Sorry I have not been keeping up with thread last few days, been very busy.

Well done on kicking AV to the curb Mel. The monster may have been awoken, but you have myriad tools in your war chest now.

Looks as if a drug war is kicking off in my home town. I hope it does not escalate out of control. Members of the media and politicians are calling for purely police/security response, but I think the problem is far more complex than that. In the areas where drugs are rife, funding has been slashed to community projects. Now the economy is picking up, the demand for cocaine is also increasing, the drug of choice for the upwardly mobile middle class. I think the contextual factors that lead to demand need to be addressed.

That's Behan's rant for the day.

Have a great day all,

B
Old 02-10-2016, 03:21 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Always cool no matter how many times you see it BigS.
Melina - Girlfren, you just don't drink no more you here!

Congrats on getting your refund Ken, and others who were already finished with 'tax season'. As usual, I'm putting it off. I hate doing taxes more than looking for a job. Of course I haven't had to 'look' for a job in 25 years.

It's a winter wonderland here once again. I suppose we accumulated around 5 inches of snow since 9 o'clock Monday nite. Worst part is the ice beneath it.
The good news is that it's today again!

I think I'll replenish my 'free bird seed' pile. It's become a daily routine for some chickadees and a couple doves plus a few other. The robins were picking the downed crab apple from top of the snow last week out front and picking through the grass after it melted. Got 2 pair of cardinals and a blue jay or two wondering around the premises as well. Last week I saw a pair of doves perched on top of my arbor for 8 hours doing their thang all day.

Enjoy all.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:52 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

I envy your birds, Brain. None here to speak of - I haven't even had the usual woodpeckers on my suet feeder.