Notices

Looking for help with binging.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
For me and countless others, AA or Smart has been helpful.
The plus side to AA is that it is everywhere and it is free. (There is also Al Anon which is for partners or family of alcoholics and helps them deal with how our alcoholism affects them. - And this included alcoholics in recovery, because we're not an easy bunch to live with, drinking or sober).
How do they work, do you just look in your area and turn up? Or is there some other initial process and structure?
Old 02-08-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For AA find a local meeting on Google and turn up. That's it!
Old 02-08-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by audiokat View Post
How do they work, do you just look in your area and turn up? Or is there some other initial process and structure?
Yep - you just look up where and when they're happening and go along. No register, no need for full names - it's nice to introduce yourself using your first name or nickname as it makes it easier for people to get to know you and offer you their help, but nobody will force you to do that.

This link has the search on it for UK meetings...

Find a Meeting | AA Meetings | Alcoholics Anonymous (Great Britain) Ltd

Oh, and you don't have to stick to just your nearest ones. You can go wherever you like. I spoke to one man last week who'd driven 40 miles to come to that one because he likes driving to different places and meeting different people. Meetings are all over the UK and all over the world, so if you're ever away anywhere there's usually some meeting or another going on that we're free to go to.

Good luck with your GP - you might get a more enlightened one than the other poster did, you never know. (Mine wasn't either - just spoke about cutting down - like I hadn't thought of that!! lol). This link has info re GP confidentiality that would apply to any UK GP http://right-here-brightonandhove.or...nfidentiality/

Let us know how you get on
Old 02-08-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you