Notices

Day 7

Old 02-07-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7

On day 7 here alcohol free after about 15 years of continuous binge drinking and staying afloat as a functional alcoholic.

Last nite was tough. I was in the presence of alcohol at a party and considered just having one or two...but thought better and am so glad I did. All I have to do is remind myself of the hangovers and the promise I made myself.

And now I'm left with the sadness. The sadness I tried to escape with the drink. But the drink didn't make it go away...just numbed that feeling and made my sense of shame and uselessness even greater than it is without the drink. At least now I have those feelings in the absence of the physical pain of a hangover....I just have to figure out what to do with this emptiness I face now.

The plan was to stay off alcohol for the month of Feb. It was the best I could promise myself for now and so far I am successful. I don't know what I will do come March but best to take it one day at a time for now.

Thanks to those who listen to an voice unheard.

Best wishes to all.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober weeks.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear your voice. Sounds like you are off to a good start.
Now as you said the bad feelings are there. Now you can work on those and
while I don't know specifically what you should do, seeking information and possibly professional consultation may help.

Keep at it and things will improve.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent job on day 7
Old 02-07-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job on 7 days Tranqilseeker. I struggled with the same feelings you have described and so made the decision to access psychotherapy. I have been attending weekly sessions for 9 months now and I know that I would never have been able to work through the difficult experiences from my past without professional support...I had tried for 15 years with no success and thats when i accepted I needed help. May be worth considering if you haven't already. Wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Old 02-07-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 7 is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job on not drinking for a week. A party in your first week is tough and you got through that. I had one last week so I know how you felt. It is difficult to look ahead at this early stage. I found it very hard to imagine my future. Taking it one day at a time is the best way forward. Just focus on each day and have a plan as to how you are going to fill it. Visit this site, look after yourself physically and look into further support as has already been said. That's what I do, and it's worked so far. And the days are getting easier. Things are getting easier. My mind is slowly becoming my friend again. Stick with it tranquilseeker. You can do this. We are all in the same boat and are here for you !
Old 02-07-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on a week

I couldn't have gone to a party so soon. Would you consider not going to alcohol fuelled events for a while? It makes things easier, or at least it did for me?

D