Notices

This is all new to me

Old 02-07-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is a great place to be. I just swore off the booze a few days ago. Although not drinking as much as before, things were getting bad again.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Hiyas.

SR is a great place for virtual support when IRL support is thin on the ground. Lots of great suggestions above. One thing I do each morning fresh out of the shower: Look in the mirror and tell myself, "I am a sober person. Nothing is as important as my sobriety. I will not drink today."
Old 02-07-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Davo. Welcome to SR. I can't add much to what others have already said. But I will stick my neck out and say that if you have drunk 2 or 3 bottles of wine and 5 large beers in my opinion you are a risk to your baby, intentionally or not. I have been where you are. I have a 6 month old son and it is one of the reasons I have given up. I can't look after a baby properly or be the father I want to be while drinking heavily. Sending you strength for your journey. Stick around. We are all in the same boat and are here for you.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevepearce View Post
Hi Davo. Welcome to SR. I can't add much to what others have already said. But I will stick my neck out and say that if you have drunk 2 or 3 bottles of wine and 5 large beers in my opinion you are a risk to your baby, intentionally or not. I have been where you are. I have a 6 month old son and it is one of the reasons I have given up. I can't look after a baby properly or be the father I want to be while drinking heavily. Sending you strength for your journey. Stick around. We are all in the same boat and are here for you.
You make a very good point, I cant be the father I want to be and meant to be this is the main reason I am going sober, I need this change and want it more than anything.

I found 3 beers in the fridge that I must have missed and poured them straight down the sink, I don't want and cant have this stuff in my house anymore.

I have let it get the best of me but no more its only my third day but I am determined that 3 days ago will of been my last drink!

Thanks again to everyone for their support and for welcoming me!
Old 02-08-2016, 02:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Dave - reading and posting here on SR kept me away from the drink in those first few days. There's a lot of support here

D
Old 02-08-2016, 02:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just wanted to add my welcome.

The great thing is that by stopping now, you, your child and your wife will only know a sober dad.

In my experience, stopping was easier than I thought, staying stopped, harder.

Like losing weight, taking the weight off is so much easier than keeping it off. But stopping this drinking thing in its tracks is so much more important (not that I wouldn't like JLo's body).

For me the key was acceptance that I really couldn't ever drink again, not a sip. for me this took a few trips back to the rodeo but it doesn't need to if you have faith.

Faith that this is the right decision for you and your family. Faith that you are worth it. Faith than you got this. Faith in yourself.

So, net net, decide never to drink again and then decide never to quit the decision, not matter what. You don't need to test the waters, see if you really have a problem.

Trust your decision.

I got faith in you.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:31 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Dave, I'm new here too but know only to well the guilt and shame that go with alcohol and parenting. As others have said this is do able right and be proud that you have realised the impact on self and others and are actively seekin change. Stay positive and strong !!! I'm right here doing the same
Old 02-11-2016, 03:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Update

Still no drinking, had a few cravings but have resisted.

So far its only 6 days but I really think it will stick.

The messages of support on here have really helped and peoples advice as well!

Thank you all for everything!!
Old 02-11-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
~sb

Did you get to that AA meeting yet?
Old 02-14-2016, 02:49 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi,

I did yes, really friendly group.

Haven't said much yet but in time it will come, Its a 12 step program.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2016, 03:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Well done Dave!
Old 02-14-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Dave
Old 02-14-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Just wanted to say welcome and good luck! It is fortunate that you realize you have a problem with alcohol before your child is old enough to know you as a problem drinker. The guilt from that is heartbreaking, and is what made me realize I needed to get on the road to sobriety.
Keep it up - SR is always there for you 24/7, and is the most useful tool in my arsenal.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Don't put your children through the trauma of having an alcoholic parent. I know from experience being the child of an alcoholic parent how scary and confusing that is. I was repeating the cycle with my own child and that is why I quit. Our kids deserve sober parents.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Welcome on board . . . just a little over a week sober myself, and it feels really good. Tackle it head on and be honest here and to those around you.