Notices

Selfless love

Old 02-06-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Selfless love

Hello,
I'm new here just looking for some wisdom. My wife and I have been together 5 years married almost 2. The alcohol has gotten out if control over the past 2 years. Back in December 2015 she went on a week long binge. I took her into a 45 day program her choice. The first half she was very close with me. Then she became very distant. She called 2 days before coming out and said she was staying at her moms and didn't want me to pick her up. 3 days later after some conversations she stated she thinks we should just move on a and sell the house. I have been making changes and saw how I too am part of the problem. I'm doing things I want to do. She asked for space but texts out of the blue daily. She just got a sponsor.
I want to be supportive and respect her decisions. If she continues to ask for a divorce do I just grant her one? We have bills at the house that I need help with but don't want to dress her out. Do I make her accountable?
Ty
Old 02-06-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Sobriety and recovery change people. If she wants to move on, what choice do you have anyway? I think it's good that you're looking at yourself and your behaviors too, but the fact is that what you can't change -- namely, her feelings -- must be accepted.

As for the bills, she should pay her share, assuming the ability to do so.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Jlombardo nice to meet you
Old 02-06-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe you need to speak with an attorney so you don't get stuck with all the financial burden. If you need her to cover part of the bills and she has stated she wants to sell the house, I think you need to make some decisions for your own financial security quickly.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the advice.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

With all that has happened and I know it was as much on me as my AW. It seems that now she is serious about staying sober. That being said I would like her to to stay. That's not my choice. She sends mixed signals like " I leave and you turn into the guy I always wanted."
I took our vows very serious when we were married. At what point am I just a codependent too?
Old 02-06-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Welcome Jlombardo nice to meet you
Thank you for welcoming me.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Do you love her?

Do you want to not live without her?

If so, let her know. Fight life for her.

If not, let her go. Make the leaving easy for both of you.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In any relationship breakup, there's blame to go around, but in a codependent relationship with an addict, the blame is most often carried the most by the addict. I know my behavior was the prime cause of my recent breakup.

On sobering up, the remorse we addicts feel can be crushing, and in those cases walking away often seems to be the only answer. How can I ask forgiveness for the wrongs I've done? How can my partner ever forgive them -- and me?

Guilt may be making her think that the harm she's done is irreparable.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Do you love her?

Do you want to not live without her?

If so, let her know. Fight life for her.

If not, let her go. Make the leaving easy for both of you.
I truly love her. I want her to be sober for herself. I want her to be happy regardless if it's with me or not. I have told her my feelings. I told her to take time to work on herself and I'm doing the same. The other day she said it's hard to leave someone you still love. That she has never loved anyone as much as me.
I want to fight but also want to respect her boundaries.
If she really wanted to move on would she still be texting me and trying to have some contact with me even thou she doesn't say or show it?
Old 02-06-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
In any relationship breakup, there's blame to go around, but in a codependent relationship with an addict, the blame is most often carried the most by the addict. I know my behavior was the prime cause of my recent breakup.

On sobering up, the remorse we addicts feel can be crushing, and in those cases walking away often seems to be the only answer. How can I ask forgiveness for the wrongs I've done? How can my partner ever forgive them -- and me?

Guilt may be making her think that the harm she's done is irreparable.
Other than words how can I comfort her on the past is the past? I forgive her but it seems she diesnt forgive herself.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jlombardo!!
Old 02-06-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jlombardo1066 View Post
Other than words how can I comfort her on the past is the past? I forgive her but it seems she diesnt forgive herself.
That's definitely an issue. I think the only possible answer is carry forward your forgiveness in your behavior, all the while understanding it simply may not be enough for her to forgive herself. It's a problem I'm grappling with myself, right now.

I think it's important for you to maintain your own boundaries through this process, too.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jlombardo1066

If you haven't yet told your wife what you've said here in this thread, I think thats a good place to start?

D
Old 02-06-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have told her my feelings. To the point that if I didn't stop I would just push her away. When she texts me about nothing important I let her know I'm proud of her. I feel like it falls on deaf ears thou. She won't even hug me back she knows that's her weakness. I want answers that she prob doesn't know the answers to. I need to rember one day at a time. Any success stories to give me some hope would be appreciated.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

JL,
Welcome to SR. I come from the F&F side of this forum. (friends and family). Your wife is working very hard to stay sober and get healthy. She can not work on your marriage until she can get her stuff together. It is very difficult to go through this process, in the long run, it is a blessing you are apart. Read the newcomer forum and see how the "A's" truly struggle withdrawing from there addictions.

You need to take this time and work on you. A marriage is a 50/50 partnership. You have to own your dysfunction in the enabler/addict marriage. Have you ever been to an alanon meeting? That is a wonderful place to start. We codies, need to take responsibility on what we have become in this marriage. IMO you need to let her do her meetings and talk to her A friends. You will never understand addiction so you can not "help" her. That is what AA is for, they totally "get" it, and we Never will.

Take this time and work "your" program. See how you can get healthy. Once you both get "strong" then you can move forward in saving your marriage. I do agree with everyone else that she needs to be helping you with the bills. You will not be rocking the boat by expecting her to contribute financially. If she is working her program, she will start taking ownership of those responsibilities.

Hugs my friend, you are blessed that she is sober today and she is working her program all by herself!!
Old 02-06-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jlombardo1066 View Post
I have told her my feelings. To the point that if I didn't stop I would just push her away. When she texts me about nothing important I let her know I'm proud of her. I feel like it falls on deaf ears thou. She won't even hug me back she knows that's her weakness. I want answers that she prob doesn't know the answers to. I need to rember one day at a time. Any success stories to give me some hope would be appreciated.
If she's not responsive to you trying to communicate and you feel it's actually pushing her away then there's nothing to do but wait, or move on, I think?

I hope you two can work it out

D
Old 02-06-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If she's not responsive to you trying to communicate and you feel it's actually pushing her away then there's nothing to do but wait, or move on, I think?

I hope you two can work it out

D
She sent me a text and said she has tried to work on the relationship in the past and is done. Is it normal for the AS to play the victim role? Feels like she is blaming me for not working on our marriage? I'm really confused.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I played the victim role while drinking, but definitely not after I stopped.

It sounds to me like she is pushing and pulling at the same time and that's unfair to you. As Dee said, I think you can either move on or wait and see what happens. What do you want to do?
Old 02-06-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can find some peace of mind.