SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Saturday Morning Sunrise (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/384544-saturday-morning-sunrise.html)

RattleAndHum 02-06-2016 05:59 AM

Saturday Morning Sunrise

This morning I got up as the sun was just beginning to peak over the horizon. I made some coffee, did some writing, and just let the moment be. The dogs sat by me. The world remained still. And I was at peace.

41 days ago, this scene would never have taken place. Since sobriety, I've enjoyed (even looked forward to) Saturday mornings -- and other mornings for that matter. I'm experiencing and learning more each day, and it's amazing to see how things I had dreaded while drinking have become things I enjoy in sobriety. I'm curious, what have you come to enjoy in sobriety that you took for granted (or even dreaded) while drinking?

nova84 02-06-2016 06:02 AM

Beautiful post R&H. It's something I always wake up to watch on holiday as I can't see the sunrise very well at home.

I never noticed the birdsong in the mornings and evenings when I was drinking...now I hear them so vividly...it's lovely 🎶

SoberinSyracuse 02-06-2016 06:04 AM

I love the warm, drowsy, euphoric feeling when I first wake up. (Didn't used to be like that, 'ya know!)

I love my Sheltie. Barky, intelligent, energetic. (You know how this kind of stuff plays on a hangover.)

I enjoy a chat with a friend over coffee. Heck, I even had lunch with a friend yesterday in a place that didn't serve alcohol and enjoyed it!

I'm enjoying the feeling of getting my financial house in order.

Put this all together, and I'm loving living this new life of intentionality!

JD 02-06-2016 06:22 AM

I love getting up when is it's still dark out. The house is quite. No one else is up yet. I have an hour and a half of peace. I can have my coffee, do my meditation and prepare for the day. Yeah, a lot more relaxing. Beats getting up just in time to get in the shower and jump in my car to work.

tnek97 02-06-2016 06:30 AM

I love (or, well, growing to love) going to sleep at night. I used to dread it because I knew I would wake up in the middle of the night, feeling awful, and shameful. Now I get in bed early so I can read, and I fall asleep almost excited to wake up in the morning.

least 02-06-2016 06:33 AM

I love waking up sober and feeling good. :) It never gets old. :)

Warpaint 02-06-2016 06:55 AM

Sound sleep, clarity of thought and mind, and stability of mood - just a couple things that I enjoy now that I'm away from the booze.

Things that I didn't have for a long time that I figured was just normal for me. Realizing now the drinking was mucking everything up. Who'd a thought..

FreeOwl 02-06-2016 07:13 AM

Yes.

Fantastic.

LBrain 02-06-2016 07:15 AM

I love getting up before the sun. And being able to just relax and enjoy the sunrise with a clear head. And of course, getting out of bed when I awaken.

Great post. Keep it going.

Soberwolf 02-06-2016 07:21 AM

Fantastic post :grouphug: Congratulations

Hawkeye13 02-06-2016 07:22 AM

all of the above, especially the sunrise and bird noise
I also like knowing exactly what I did and said without regret in the morning.

I love actually sleeping, then waking with a peaceful mind without anxiety or fear most of all.

Pressmetilihurt 02-06-2016 07:30 AM

I have 12 days sober. I am enjoying the freedom from preoccupation. I took my son to a women's basketball game last night. Cal against Stanford. I didnt have to drink before I left the house. I didn't stop for a drink on the way to the game. I didn't have to feel disappointed that they didn't sell alcohol at the game. I could just be there.

Mountainmanbob 02-06-2016 07:35 AM

it was even worse the last time I drank

Originally Posted by RattleAndHum (Post 5782025)

41 days ago, this scene would never have taken place.

That is what we don't ever wish to forget RattleAndHum.
I keep those days and nights fresh in my mind.
It is too easy to talk ourselves into yet another drink.
Thinking that it will be different this time.
No, I remember that it was even worse the last time I drank.

The serenity of today a sober day goes beyond measure.

M-Bob

Bird615 02-06-2016 07:36 AM

All of it--sleeping, mornings, being clear-headed and at peace, being outdoors, spending time with myself just sitting and being quiet or watching the sky or just listening to the sounds around me...

RattleAndHum 02-06-2016 09:29 AM

I can relate to each of these!

Another thing I'll add -- enjoying time with family instead of staying home to drink and get drunk.

Thanks for sharing!

PurpleKnight 02-06-2016 09:54 AM

Sunday morning walks became my new thing in Sobriety.

I was usually still in bed or hungover until the afternoon, so getting up and out, having more time to do things on my weekend, that I was missing out on!! :)