Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So here I sit frazzled. I hope he doesn't find out I'm on this board. Then again I might tell him when he wakes up.
Here is a little background on me and our story. When we met I was struggling with bipolar disorder. Going through different meds and therapy. I was unable to work, which was fine with him. He preferred that I take care of the house and my son, and he would take care of us and everything else.
I left my family and lost my friends, and moved in with the man I love more than anything else (other than my son). At the time he only drank beer and didn't get drunk. I saw no issues.
Fast forward, and he now drinks half a bottle of crown royal every afternoon (start at 4). By 6 or 7 he is slurring his words and forgetting about things said 5 minutes earlier (he calls this short term memory) and getting an attitude. The next day anything discussed after 6pm the night before is lost to him (again he says short term memory).
I feel trapped. I don't have any friends, and I can't stay with family (no room). I have no job or money. I have told him that I have looked into shelters. But I truly don't want to leave, I want the man I fell in love with back.
He doesn't physically abuse us, but the emotional toll it takes (as I cry every night) is almost more than I can bear.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Sending you love and hugs
Old 02-05-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

That's very painful, sorry - you're not alone.

Have you considered seeking outside resources such as Al-Anon and/or
counselling?

There are many others here posting on the friends and family forum with similar experiences - you might consider checking out that are of SR as well.

Glad you're here with us - keep posting
Old 02-05-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry for what brings you here, but want to welcome you to the family. I too would suggest AlAnon for support, as well as our friends and family forum.

You are not alone.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have given thought to Al-Anon, however I don't want to bring my son (he's only 6,and has no idea that anything is wrong). I also have nobody to keep him while I attend, other than my (how should I refer to him here in shorthand?) While I trust him with my son, I try to limit the exposure without my presence to intervene if I think agitations might happen. I might add that we are working on adhd, odd (oppositional defiance), and anxiety with my son.

Also thank you all for welcoming me, it brought tears to my eyes.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Sorry for what brings you here. Sadly, until he wants to get sober, for himself, he won't.

See our F&F forum:
Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 02-05-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bp,
Sending hugs. If you can't make alanon meetings keep reading on SR. There is so much good information in these forum. You can educate yourself about this horrible disease.

You are not alone as we all love an addict, that is why we are all here, looking for support. WE DO understand the craziness in your life. Some time alanon meetings have day care. Reach out and see if you can find one.

Hugs my friend, we are here 24 hours a day for support!!
Old 02-05-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Bp you have found a awesome wonderful supportive community
Old 02-05-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Counseling at a local church helped my wife when she was in your situation.
Plus, she read the AA Big Book (explains a lot about alcoholism in that book)
M-Bob
Old 02-05-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

AH (addicted/alcoholic husband) is the usual way to refer, bp

I'm sorry for what brings you here but I'm glad you found us - this is a place of great support

D
Old 02-05-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Bplrm!!
Old 02-05-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you came here to talk it over, Bplrm. I'm very sorry for the painful time you're going through. I hope being with us helps with the anxiety you're feeling.