SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Delerium Tremen? DT??? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/384465-delerium-tremen-dt.html)

KiKi0615 02-04-2016 10:03 PM

Delerium Tremen? DT???

I have a friend (neighbor) who is an alcoholic. Her last drink was Monday (3 days ago).

She just called to tell me she was laying in bed & all of a sudden she had to run to the toilet with bad diarrhea & then got extremely cold & started shaking really bad.

She turned her heating blanket on high & still couldn't get warm & her teeth were chattering.

She also said her body was stiff & shaking & she was short of breath & very scared!!!

I called her husband & he took her to the hospital.

I'm not asking for medical advice. I just want to know if that sounds like a DT?

Thx so much. I'm very worried about her. :-(

LesPaul1993 02-04-2016 10:30 PM

From my limited exposure to addictions in health care, it sounds like her withdrawal symptoms were actually becoming quite severe and could progress to DTs quickly. The time window is about right.

In any case she likely needs some medical support with her detox before something more serious develops. In delirium tremens one would expect confusion and possibly hallucinations as well as possible heart problems or seizures--hopefully she'll evade that territory.

I think you and her husband did the wise and safe thing.

Dee74 02-04-2016 10:31 PM

I'm a layman, but that sounds more like normal withdrawal to me Kiki.

Normal withdrawal can still be dangerous and nasty tho so I'm glad she's in a good place for help :)

DTs are a whole 'nother level - the DTs usually involve hallucinations and whole body tremors, marked confusion and possible seizures.

Delirium tremens

DTs is the most severe manifestation of alcohol withdrawal. It occurs 3-10 days following the last drink. Clinical manifestations include agitation, global confusion, disorientation, hallucinations, fever, hypertension, diaphoresis, and autonomic hyperactivity (tachycardia and hypertension). Profound global confusion is the hallmark of delirium tremens.

Medscape: Medscape Access

KiKi0615 02-04-2016 10:40 PM

We'll regardless, I'm glad she's at the hospital! She sounded like she was dying! She was really scared!

Thank you for the info guys. Just another reminder of why I don't want to drink! It's truly poison!

Soberwolf 02-05-2016 03:22 AM

I can't say as I'm not a Dr but I know one thing your a excellent friend & I want you to know Kiki from the moment I saw your first posts I could instantly tell your a really kind hearted amazing person this story only adds to that :hug:

RallyAly 02-05-2016 07:14 AM

It's good she went to the hospital - better safe than sorry. A friend of mine (who I had been out of touch with at the time) didn't get DTs but died nonetheless from organ failure due to eloctrolyte/fluid imbalances. She went to the hospital but it was too late.

Dharma33 02-05-2016 08:06 AM

((((Kiki))))

I pray your friend gets the help she needs for a sober life. It was really good of you to make the call to get her to safety. :)

thomas11 02-05-2016 12:18 PM

Kiki, as wolf said, you are an excellent friend. I bet she felt a tremendous amount of relief when you showed up. especially if she was so scared. I agree with Dee that it sounds like withdrawal (albeit rather severe in my opinion). Good for you on getting her to safety.

ALinNS 02-05-2016 12:25 PM

Not a doc either but sounds like withdrawal as I have had DT's and it's a bit more severe, the symptoms however you describe based on my experience start around day three and can last a week, in any event it's good that she is under medical supervision as it could be many things.

KiKi0615 02-05-2016 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by soberwolf (Post 5780041)
I can't say as I'm not a Dr but I know one thing your a excellent friend & I want you to know Kiki from the moment I saw your first posts I could instantly tell your a really kind hearted amazing person this story only adds to that :hug:

Thanks wolf! That really means a lot! :-)

KiKi0615 02-05-2016 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by RallyAly (Post 5780379)
It's good she went to the hospital - better safe than sorry. A friend of mine (who I had been out of touch with at the time) didn't get DTs but died nonetheless from organ failure due to eloctrolyte/fluid imbalances. She went to the hospital but it was too late.

Oh no! How tragic! This disease is relentless. :-(

KiKi0615 02-05-2016 04:59 PM

Thank you everyone. She is doing better & is under doctor's care. I think was the wake up call she needed!

whopper 02-05-2016 08:40 PM

I've had a similar experience. Got diarrhea and terrible abdominal pain after stopping drinking. Ended up in the hospital feeling cold and really weak. Had Iv fluids and ended up spending 1 week being hospitalized. Believe me it was the worst experience I have ever had.

Soberwolf 02-06-2016 03:54 AM

Sending prayers for your friend & her recovery x

Zebra1275 02-06-2016 05:40 AM

This is why many of us always recommend medical assistance when someone is withdrawing after a long period of alcohol abuse. It's dangerous to do it alone.

sg1970 02-06-2016 06:42 AM

My neighbor tried to detox by himself one time. He started seeing rats in his couch and shooting at them. Then had a seizure and broke his jaw when he hit the floor. I forget how long he ended up in the hospital. Gives a whole new meaning to "drinking quit being fun anymore".

Always, always, always try to steer people toward medical assisted detox! Hope she pulls through and finds good recovery.