Notices

I need a do-over

Old 02-04-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need a do-over

Hey gang. Eight nights sober and I can tell I'm much more alert most of the day. My mornings are especially more productive than they used to be. I've been a rock star at work and not only am I getting much more work done, but I'm in a chipper mood and cracking jokes even as more work gets dumped on me. This realization has me wishing I had a chance to redo some things in my life, but sober this time.

Last summer I took the wife and kids to a beach for the first time. Kids had never seen an ocean in person before. While there were a lot of memories, pictures, and souvenirs, I feel I missed a lot of it. Sleeping in late, then being in a fog/grump mood the rest of the afternoon while trying not to let the kids know they were annoying me while we did whatever activity we had planned for that day. I was mostly miserable until we got back to the hotel where I could rest and eventually start drinking again.

Screw that nonsense! I want to get up and party with the kids all day long with energy and stamina and actually laugh and enjoy the beach time. I want to fall asleep at night from exhaustion of a busy day filled with adventures and discoveries. Not just for me, but for my kids. I feel like they got a half-hearted vacation from me because I never wanted to be too busy any given day. Even when I was there I was giving it the bare minimum.

Nope, I'm going to find that hot tub time machine and do it right this summer. I think I know what I'm spending my leftover booze money on!

Anyone else wish they could get a do-over now that they're sober?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You actually have a do-over now...keep doing it! There will always be regrets for past actions, but the best thing you can do is make the best of today. Use the past as a reminder of how valuable today truly is, and how much you would lose by taking even one drink.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Scott is right! Exactly, you DO have a do-over! Enjoy a sober summer vacation! I know I will
Old 02-05-2016, 03:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Not to point out the obvious but your doing your do over by doing what your doing now which is fantastic realise your awesomeness SoberDave
Old 02-05-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like you're getting your do-over now.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

For sure! My big do-overs are gonna be with relationships. Picking more qualified people to start with and then bringing more to the table. I can already see a difference in the type of people in my life and how I'm relating to them!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LOL, that was kind of a backfire. Thank you everyone for your support. I realize I'm working on making the do-over a reality. I guess I was just pondering how much better everything could have been in the past if I had done it sober and how excited I am getting to experience that moving forward. Was hoping to get some stories from others about things they are hoping to do again, except sober this time. It feels like a whole new world is opening up to me and I can't want to start finally living!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Maybe you could look on it as how going through what you went through has given you the opportunity to really appreciate life and all it's possibilities now.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good call Madbird. I think is going to taste that much sweeter moving forward!
Old 02-05-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Btw I love your Avatar
Old 02-05-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sober Saiyan style!!!
Old 02-05-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds like your kids are still young? You've got sober, now go and do the holiday (s) and be that fantastic, fun and energetic dad.
Enjoy!
xx
Old 02-05-2016, 08:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Energetic to a point. I am much more awake and aware early in the day now but I wear down quickly late afternoon and evening. My routine used to be the opposite because my body would start to wake up into my night owl routine in evening. I seem to be settling in on an old man schedule now. I guess it's about time! I'm hopeful to start building up my stamina soon so I can keep the energy a little longer into the day. One thing at a time though. Nine days sober is the key right now.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by SoberDave999 View Post
LOL, that was kind of a backfire. Thank you everyone for your support. I realize I'm working on making the do-over a reality. I guess I was just pondering how much better everything could have been in the past if I had done it sober and how excited I am getting to experience that moving forward. Was hoping to get some stories from others about things they are hoping to do again, except sober this time. It feels like a whole new world is opening up to me and I can't want to start finally living!
We've been through a very intense life experience, living through and surviving addiction! I don't think of the time as wasted -- I'm sure you have depth and wisdom you wouldn't have had if you didn't go through it. Someday that experience will enable you to touch someone's life in a way you couldn't have otherwise. It's a win! I'm sure of it!
Old 02-05-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
We've been through a very intense life experience, living through and surviving addiction! I don't think of the time as wasted -- I'm sure you have depth and wisdom you wouldn't have had if you didn't go through it. Someday that experience will enable you to touch someone's life in a way you couldn't have otherwise. It's a win! I'm sure of it!
^^^ This.