Notices

Alcoholic Thinking...

Old 02-04-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic Thinking...

What exactly is "Alcoholic thinking"?

A friend of mine describes it as "Always looking for an easier, softer way of life."

Would love to hear a bunch of responses!

Lets go!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

well to me it means looking to alcohol as a solution, but there are other definitions

D
Old 02-04-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me:

Morning: "God I'm never gonna drink again...."
Night: "God I love drinking"
Morning: "God I'm *really* never gonna drink again..."

ect.

Alcoholic thinking.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

"alcoholic thinking" is kind of an oxymoron really. Because when you are in its throes, you aren't thinking...you are hoping to avoid thinking by getting drunk and escaping reality. Except reality is always there waiting.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with all responses so far. To me, Alcoholic thinking is waking up in the morning saying "I am never going to drink again" to at the end of the work day heading to get more booze hoping to numb whatever reality you are facing to wake up to the reality of your situation still being there and saying again "I am never going to drink again" to going to get more booze at the end of the work day, etc. It is a vicious cycle that I have been doing for way too many years and unfortunately, too few make it out of.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My version: "Well, I only called in hungover once this month. -Totally under control..."
Old 02-04-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would say it's the product of the addictive voice: a toxic stew of rationalization, denial, defeatism, and confusion between causes and effects.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcoholic thinking from an active alcoholic who is trying to get sober... Going to a meeting, hearing something that is motivational enough to make me pick up a white chip, not drinking that night, going to work in the morning, then on night 2, drinking. Because I was so irritable on day 2 at work and my customers were so frustrating and I had to go into the bathroom to cry for a minute or two because of how rude my customer was to me. And at the end of the day I just needed to feel my version of normal. So I could breath and relax and actually get some sleep. Then over sleeping and going to work late the next day. Only to come home and drink at night again, since I had not gotten a white chip yet so if I did not drink its not like it would count as day one anyway. Over sleeping again the next morning, getting to work late for the 2nd day in a row. Being so disappointed in myself and scared that there will be consequences at work for being late so often that I don't drink that night. The next day, which was today, going to a meeting that I had never been to before and not being able to muster the courage to stand up in front of everyone and pick up that white chip. Hoping that they will go back to the white chip when they are done passing out the others, incase there was anyone who was shy the first time around. But they didn't. So on my way home, I bought some Captain and am drinking. Because its not like today would count as day 1 anyway. That is alcoholic thinking. Ridiculous, nonsensical, insanity.

On top of the part of my mind that on a particular day might know for certain that I am alcoholic. And after 2 days sober, makes me wonder if I actually am a real alcoholic. Like, maybe I was wrong somehow....??? Mentally sick.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Alcoholic thinking to me is a craving or a urge which can be countered by reaching out on SR or in recovery meetings
Old 02-05-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Obviously this phrase means different things to different people and I love that. For me, it is ignoring or rationalizing all the consequences of alcohol and then trying to convince myself that drinking is fine for me ( using whatever excuse works at the moment : I'm happy, I'm sad, I'm alone, I'm with friends, it's warm, it's cold, I'm busy, I'm bored... You name it) For me, alcoholic thinking is an unhealthy, unrealistic mindset. It takes work to pull out of it, but once I do, it feels like a relief.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Alcoholic thinking = This time will be different! I have learned my lesson and will drink normally tonight.......glad I learned that lesson. HA!

There are those I hear in the rooms who will comment often something like - "that's because you're an alcoholic". Sort of a catch all of basic human flaws......you think that way because your alcoholic. I don' t subscribe to this. Non drinker or daily, we all have issues and being alcoholic doesn't ultimately explain away all bad thinking / behavior.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Brain: "I'm going to change the world. I'll write a master dissertation about the communication styles of alcoholics. I will chair panels at national conferences. I will become a known scholar and a tenured Professor at a prestigious University."

Life: "You have no clean socks...you should probably do a load of laundry."

Brain: "Nah, that's too much work. I'm just gonna smoke ciggs and play around on Facebook."

That's MY alcoholic thinking......
Old 02-05-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"Your life will never get better, you trapped yourself in this situation and there's no way out, and everything sucks, especially you. Might as well have a glass of wine."
Old 02-05-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
p***enger

My version of alcoholic thinking often doesn't explicitly involve alcohol these days, but it's the same twisted style:
  1. Start with the desire to do something that's intrinsically bad for me. (Why? I dunno. This is the most alcoholic part.)
  2. Rationalize the wrong action in terms of all the consequences to myself and other people. "They don't care anyway." "I deserve it."
  3. Use the results of the bad action to fuel the next cycle of rationalization: "See, they left me." "I'm beyond help."
Old 02-05-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alcoholic thinking is the voice in your head trying to convince you it's ok to drink when rationally you know it is bad for you and your life.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

sober in body but not in the mind

Originally Posted by SoberLife90 View Post

What exactly is "Alcoholic thinking"?
Still thinking and acting as a drunk would but, with no booze added.

Even though sober, we had to let go of some old ideas.

M-Bob
Old 02-06-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's when you get a bit of news (good or bad) and, your first thought (after digesting this news) is lets get drunk. Or, is this just an example of addiction?
Old 02-06-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Alcoholic thinking=Stinkin' Thinkin'.....Or Addictive Voice (AV)........Once I start negotiating with my AV, I have already lost. I don't negotiate any more!! Thanks for reminding me....I need to be reminded every day.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

If one is good two is better and four is better yet