Notices

Alcoholic Thinking...

Old 02-06-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

For me, there’s a distinction between the AV (Addictive Voice) and Alcoholic Thinking.

The AV is my alcohol-addicted brain hijacking my rational thought processes and making me believe that having a drink (or twelve) is the most reasonable idea in the world, despite my having sworn just days (or even hours) ago that I was done drinking for good.

Alcoholic Thinking is when I dwell on feelings of irritation, restlessness, and discontent. It’s mostly about an inflated focus on self: self-pity, self-indulgence, self-righteousness, self-aggrandizement. It provides fertile ground for the AV gain the upper hand and to lead me back to drinking.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
"Your life will never get better, you trapped yourself in this situation and there's no way out, and everything sucks, especially you. Might as well have a glass of wine."
This. Being trapped in it...or at least the feeling of being trapped
Old 02-07-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Great thread sober life. Loved it all, but especially Bunny and BBQ's posts. So true its scary.

OK so here is my take.

From the specific to the general, I have alcoholic thinking, a devilish AV and cunning inner passivity.

Alcoholic thinking is thinking of life in terms of a drinking opportunity -- football game, pool time, pub, picnic, driving home from work -- all was about whether it would provide an opportunity to drink (good) not drink (bad).

My AV is a close relative to my alcoholic thinking, which appears when I stop or think about stopping and tries to convince me that I can/should/deserve/have no problem with ... drinking. Any thing to get back in the game the little devil. My AV shuts up when ignored.

My inner passivity is what I call what Courage was referring to -- my general self defeating attitude of giving my inner critic credibility by negotiating, appeasing, whatever, instead of being the boss and saying, no way Jose.

Shut Up you. I don't know who you talking to, cause I be the boss and I be just fine. Not perfect, but that is okay. No one is.

And when I stop negotiating and start just doing my thing, that feels great.

Thanks again for the thread.

Who is we rooting for tonight??