Notices

Afraid my drink/drug history won't be enuff

Old 02-04-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

For me: No health issues. No legal issues. But I wanted to die. I just couldn't go on living the way I was. That was enough for me. Identify; Don't compare.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
I'm in an outpatient rehab and we have to give our drink/drug histories. I'm so afraid mine isn't enough. These guys have serious consumption and consequences - seizures, liver problems, prison, DUI's up the wazoo.
You were making the same comparisons when you came to sober recovery. From your post, Do I belong here?:

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
I've wrestled with this question FOREVER. I just don't have your stories. Sure I had some dust ups in college or thereabouts but that was a long time ago. I don't take a sip and wake up from a blackout. I can stop drinking when I start. But I do it again the next day. What is happening is that alcohol is becoming wrapped up in my life.
I'm willing to bet the the reason that the other folks in IOP have such horrific stories is because at some point in their early recovery phase they all said, "I don't belong here."

And they did.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Your history passes my test!
You are on a good path, just keep going! I have a similar story, went to IOP with the same mix of characters, and am 4+ sober, loving my recovery; grateful for that path.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't know what I would do without you guys. I have been letting my head pull me out of AA and sobriety for decades. EVERYTHING positive in my life right now are things I got while being sober.

My degree
My job
My Partner
My kid
My relationship with my mother
My credit
Traveling - I've been to Hawaii, Sweden, India and Belize
I became a river rafting guide
I took up cycling and have ridden the AIDS Ride twice (545 miles from SF to LA)
Friendships
Community
Guitar - I suck but it's fun!
Being able to look people in the eye
Not waking up and living a life full of constant shame
Being able to see my side of the street and actually say "I'm sorry."
Showing up to see my dad pass on, scattering his ashes
Leading a volunteer group

I hate that my head alcoholic thinking or whatever compares. Screw that. I want to keep what I built and achieve more.

I LOVE this site, you people. You got me here. Today is day 10. I'm getting choked up. Gotta get my son ready for school.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've never had a DUI or been arrested in my life. That doesn't mean alcohol hasn't brought me a tremendous about of misery and suffering. In my opinion, I have just been lucky so far. I very easily could have multiple DUI's or arrests. I just decided that I wasn't going to wait until I actually hit rock bottom to put a stop to this. If I got a DUI I would have no choice but to face what drinking has done to me and my family. My kids would suffer because of the financial expense and driving inconvenience for 6-12 months, etc. etc. I made up my mind that I wasn't going to wait until after the big fallout to make the change. Doing it on this side of whatever bad was going to happen makes it easier to rebuild my life and limit the suffering of those I love.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You have not had those terrible consequences YET......Your Eligible Too! Just remember, if you continue, you are eligible for all the "perks" that go along with this special club. Really, don't compare yourself...I had stage 1 prostate cancer and another guy had stage 3. We were both treated in the same way to rid ourselves of the cancer. The cancer would have killed us both if left untreated! Best Wishes
Old 02-04-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I felt the same way when I went to my first AA meeting in 2002. "I'm not as bad as these people." Of course I did much much worse things after going back out. Now it's 2016 and I'm four days sober.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Comparing your drinking and consequences to the drinking and consequences of others is rarely helpful. What you have listed is enough. Normal people don't put wine in kombucha bottles so no one knows they are drinking alcohol. Normal people don't feel the need to hide their alcohol consumption. It isn't the amount you're consuming or the consequences you have or haven't suffered. It's the mindset behind the drinking. Keep going forward.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Do your best

Fantastic job reaching double digits