Notices

Happy Birthday EVERYONE.

Old 09-15-2004, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jon
But Very, Very Bruisable...

Arrow Happy Birthday EVERYONE.

Whether it's your first day at SR or your 4th year, whether you're 8 hours or 8 months or 8 years clean, family member, friend, whoever you are....as long as you seek help or seek to help others, you are welcome here. Thank you everyone, for an incredible 4 years.

SoberRecovery.com Celebrates 4 Years of Helping Others Get Help

Palm Springs, California (PRWEB) September 16, 2004

Four years ago, SoberRecovery.com was launched by Jon Heller on a donated computer as three pages of links designed to help alcoholics and other substance abusers find help recovering from addiction. Today, SoberRecovery.com lists almost 3,000 recovery resources divided into 60 categories and receives 6-8,000 visitors every day.

“There are literally millions of substance abusers, and family members of substance abusers,” said Heller, a former drug and alcohol counselor and program manager for a dual-diagnosis program. “Few of them are able to recover without help. I wanted to use cyberspace to offer the needed resources.”

Addicts and their family and friends find links to every sort of recovery program imaginable, from the well-known 12 Step Groups to a large selection of 12 Step alternatives. There are links to support groups, treatment centers, sober living centers, mental health associations, even recovery books and music.

Over time, SoberRecovery.com has garnered a relationship with professionals dealing with addictive behavior. They are able to link up with other professionals, find the right treatment center for their clients and refer their clients to the site, knowing they will get solid and helpful information.

SoberRecovery.com isn’t limited to providing help for substance abusers; addictive behaviors like gambling, co-dependence and sexual behavior are addressed as are conditions like eating disorders, dual diagnosis and anxiety and panic disorders.

Teens and Addiction

Teens are probably the fastest growing portion of the population effected by drugs and alcohol. In 2002, some 17 million teenagers suffered from dependency or addiction. “Young people get trapped before they even know what hit them,” Heller said. “For those unwilling or unable to talk to their parents or other adults, SoberRecovery.com provides a source of confidential, life-saving information.”

A Connected Community

SoberRecovery.com is also a community. There are active forums; or message boards, as well as chat rooms, dealing with everything from alcoholism to family issues to women in recovery. The forums are staffed by 20 full-time volunteer moderators from all over the world who share their own experience, strength and hope in an effort to help others.

"It's not uncommon for people to make their commitment to recovery in the dead of night," says Heller. "The forums are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so when someone is ready to call it quits, or when they are hurting because of someone else’s addiction, they’ll find someone to connect with-even at 2 AM."

Asked about his plans for the future, Heller said, “I never imagined SoberRecovery.com being around a year, and now it’s been four. It has a life of its own now, and with the support of our great sponsors, I can see nothing but continued growth and continued assistance for those who seek help.”
Old 09-15-2004, 08:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hello Jon,
Thanks for saving my life! Best wishes for another successful year!
Sandy
Old 09-15-2004, 09:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

SOBER RECOVERY IS PART OF MY DAILY ROUTINE.
I HAVE MET SOME OF THE MOST CARING,LOVING,GENUINE PEOPLE ANYWHERE.
THIS IS LIKE MY SECOND HOME.
I'VE COME ALONG WAY,GOT A LONG WAY TO GO,
BUT WITH THE HELP AND SUPPORT I GET HERE,
IT'S EASIER TO DEAL WITH AND UNDERSTAND MY ADDICTIONS.
VERY GRATEFUL TO MY S/R FAMILY.................ted

********************SOBER RECOVERY*********************** THANKS JON
Old 09-15-2004, 11:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jon, Thank you SO much for everything! Had some amazing experiences from this great site.......keep on keeping on!

Best to you always,

Tom
Old 09-16-2004, 01:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Yep

Thanks Jon - and all at SR. I 've come a long way too, but still have a lot to learn, but I'm getting there with SR's help. It was by reading and posting here that finally got my butt into a recovery program that I needed so badly, but couldn't see it.

Thanks again. Much love

JC
Old 09-16-2004, 05:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Jon, mod squad, and my SR family--

This is such an amazing place. I get to see miracles happening every moment of every day. God bless Soberrecovery and all its members, and most of all, Jon, for getting the ball rolling. Here's to the last four years and another FORTY to come!!!!

Love and hugs--
Old 09-16-2004, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Jon for giving a safe place to come. I have tears in my eyes just thinking about all the help this site provides to people who are hurting. I'm grateful to be a part of such a wonderful place!

Sherry
Old 09-16-2004, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jon well done man....a safe place for us all. WOOHOO
indigo
Old 09-16-2004, 10:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

This site has been such an important tool in my recovery . Thank you all for being here and sharing with me . Trish
Old 09-16-2004, 10:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Jon---you are a true Boddhisatva. love-alice
Old 09-16-2004, 02:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jon- thanks for the ESH this site generates. It truly was a lifeline to my sobriety. stephanie
Old 09-16-2004, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile

((Jon))
Thank you, and all of SR, for making this recovery site possible. All of the ESH I get from everyone here has helped me remain sober longer then I ever have. Which was 8 months yesterday. Love, Rena' ((hugs))
Old 09-17-2004, 06:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday SR! Jon, you and so many have made this place a place where we can all join in and are never turned away.

I thank God for you and for SR.

Happy Birthday!

Love,
Laci
Old 09-17-2004, 06:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SOBERRECOVERY! You've made all the difference in
this woman's life: Thank You! Happy, Happy Birthday & Many Sober Returns!
HAVE MORE CAKE! BlueJay