SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Comfortable in your skin today? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/384348-comfortable-your-skin-today.html)

Fly N Buy 02-03-2016 06:30 AM

Comfortable in your skin today?

Am I becoming or have I become comfortable in my own skin?? This is a phrase (posed as the question in this thread) we hear in sobriety. What does that mean to you and where are you in that process today?

I learned from ya'll and others that sobriety is an inside job - I can't change the world around me but can only manage my perceptions of it and how I react to it. I learn to deal differently with anger, frustration and fear. I begin to change, soberly. I bump into concepts like love, tolerance and empathy. I start to believe it is better to seek understanding than to be understood -to love than to be loved - to console as to be consoled (as the prayer of St. Francis tells me.)

I start to feel more at peace, more comfortable in my own skin.
This takes time for me and is a arduous process.

How is your evolution comfort-wise in your skin today?? Does it fit?

FreeOwl 02-03-2016 06:32 AM

getting better all the time!

best fit since as long as I can remember....

:)

least 02-03-2016 06:33 AM

Yes! :) I am comfortable with who I am. Such a big change from when I was drinking and hated myself and my life. Now I wake up ready for the day and feeling good. :)

SoberinSyracuse 02-03-2016 06:40 AM

Yes, very much indeed. Alcohol was the one existential thing that was itching me. The rest (finances, weight, etc.) are trivial material details that are easy to solve by comparison.

Before, there was no amount of external fabulousness that made me feel okay. Now, I feel just fine despite external warts.

Alcohol was at the seat of my self perception.

Soberwolf 02-03-2016 07:49 AM

Im comfortable in my skin that sobriety gave me but it takes work and if I work it it works

SoberLeigh 02-03-2016 08:15 AM

I have never in my life been more comfortable in my own skin. It's fantastic.

Thank you, sobriety and recovery.

SoberLeigh 02-03-2016 08:16 AM

Thanks, Fly N, for this very nice thread.

On The Road 02-03-2016 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 5776929)
I have never in my life been more comfortable in my own skin. It's fantastic. Thank you, sobriety and recovery.

Couldn't agree more!

Thumpalumpacus 02-03-2016 09:20 AM

This early into my recovery (since January, with one lapse), I'm so happy to discover that I like myself sober.

tomsteve 02-03-2016 09:23 AM

right at this moment its all good!
being human,that can change,though.
but theres a solution if i become uncomfortable!
and it sure as hell aint a drink!

Bird615 02-03-2016 09:28 AM

I had thought going back to drinking would make me more sociable because I was kind of lonely, but it backfired and made me isolate even more because I didn't like anyone seeing me drunk. I remember telling my sister how much I hated myself and thought that was why I kept drinking.

Funny thing is, now that I've stopped pouring booze into me, I don't hate myself at all. I've come to realize that I'm just not a sociable person, that it's okay to be a quiet introvert and I'm actually enjoying my own company a lot now.

And so grateful to be sober again!

Bailey3 02-03-2016 09:45 AM

Still working on it. Lots of work to do. I plan on getting there though.

Fly N Buy 02-03-2016 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Madbird (Post 5777029)
I had thought going back to drinking would make me more sociable because I was kind of lonely, but it backfired and made me isolate even more because I didn't like anyone seeing me drunk. I remember telling my sister how much I hated myself and thought that was why I kept drinking.

Funny thing is, now that I've stopped pouring booze into me, I don't hate myself at all. I've come to realize that I'm just not a sociable person, that it's okay to be a quiet introvert and I'm actually enjoying my own company a lot now.

And so grateful to be sober again!

Thanks Madbird - I think this is very helpful and was true (the premise) for me as well. We start to discover the real us! Not what we think we are like, but in reality what we are.

Totally agree - frankly, it's not all good on my part......but that recognition gives me an opportunity to change, perhaps. Or at the very least not act on those defects.

Fly N Buy 02-03-2016 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by tomsteve (Post 5777018)
right at this moment its all good!
being human,that can change,though.
but theres a solution if i become uncomfortable!
and it sure as hell aint a drink!

Hear, hear!! Or is that here, here?!!
Either way for me it can be a daily sliding scale.

Originally Posted by jsm273 (Post 5777055)
Still working on it. Lots of work to do. I plan on getting there though.

We simply fight the good fight each day.
thanks jsm!

Zebra1275 02-03-2016 11:31 AM

Yes, I'm very comfortable!

(I guess this is what they refer to as serenity)

sobersolstice 02-03-2016 11:45 AM

I don't think the core ME really changes when I'm not drinking. I believe my brain chemistry changes toward the positive, and with a positive outlook, I'm more productive, healthier and generally happier.

I grew up in a bad place (L.A.), and violence was everywhere. The bullying I endured would have criminal repercussions if I were a kid where I live now and today's age. I think those solemn and dark feelings were initially drowned by the booze, then became a way to be back in the darkness that I had grown up in as a child. It was almost like it was my only association with anything. Almost as if I subconsciously found the darkness to be my comfort zone the way a dog is trained to sleep in a cage in the basement.

Interestingly, I am very introspective and thoughtful my first day after stopping, then I have difficulties with cravings for a while before I settle into a sober life where I simply stop thinking about drinking. I think I'm a natural introvert, but I definitely go out more and talk more when I'm sober. Everything is brighter and generally more positive feeling when I'm sober, so I guess that's a better way to be. May as well.

Fly N Buy 02-03-2016 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 (Post 5777181)
Yes, I'm very comfortable!

(I guess this is what they refer to as serenity)

Yes, I think that's right Zebra - thanks!

On a lighter note, I got tickled reading your post while viewing your avatar! If that "horse" can be comfortable wearing striped pajamas, who am I to complain!?

Dropsie 02-04-2016 01:00 AM

I don't want to be Debbie downer, or in this case, Dropsie downer, but no I don't feel comfortable in my own skin. Never have.

So this is what I am tackling one day at a time.

Not drinking I can say never again, but self defeating behaviour, not yet, but not drinking allows me to try.

I love Soltice's post, I am comfortable in my own darkness. This is what I need to change. Little by little.

Great to hear that some many have gotten there. Good for you. its not an easy journey.

Great thread.