Notices

Be careful out there...

Old 02-02-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was a drink everywhere sort person, being self employed or unemployed depending on what work I scheduled or showed up and did or how hung over I was.
I would have beer in one of those 48oz 7-11 soda refill mugs with lid and straw.
Man that sounds nasty now, which is good. Yep, beer through a large straw.
I usually had a few out of the can first. I got up and threw cloths on and hit a store. No teeth brushing, no shower etc.

I had to get some in me to feel half normal and function. There was no thought of quitting at these times, it was automatic that I get that alcohol. Only after having a few could I think a bit and actually realize that I should quit. I see it here when people post about knowing they should stop but are drinking at the time. So I try and remember that when reading.

Even after I got in a wreck and was charged with dui and hit and run I only made it a few days before I gave in and sought escape from the reality of my situation. Then I tried again and made it a week.

So even while under the influence I looked up the program that the court was likely to impose on me upon conviction and found I could enroll in it before I was ordered. I knew this is what I had to do, I had to force myself into a situation where if I did not stop it would be reported to the court and I would likely have my bond revoked and be locked up.

I signed up and paid the fee. The first orientation and case manager assignment was a week or so away. I got back on the roller coaster, the bad feelings were getting worse and I was pushing it now.

A week before I knew I would be tested I said ok, that's it. I am not buying any beer today, and I didn't. Was a rough week but I made it. I also tested clean when the time came.

That was 35 days ago that I have been sober. Heck I got tested today, not worried as I am clean.

This is what it took for me. I did it. Now it is like night and day for me. I am getting up and working everyday or going to program group meetings, other alcohol abuse education and posting and reading this forum everyday.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For me, my drinking location was my home. I almost never drank out in public as I knew it would lead to me making a fool of myself. Most people assumed I was a non drinker (with the exception of those I worked close to on a daily basis who could smell it on me the next day). I removed all alcohol from my house, changed my route to and from work to avoid passing any liquor stores and always have a shopping list when I go grocery shopping. If it's not on the list, it doesn't get purchased. Alcohol is never on the list. 17 days and still going strong! The house is starting to feel like a normal home again.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks LB, great post.

Many alcoholics have absolutely no clue how to lead a normal, sober, social life. My first day out of rehab, I went to a bar for lunch. I didn't drink, but it's a great example of how deep those "alcoholic roots" went down. I was hungry....so I went to a bar. Sounds crazy now, but it was the most logical thing in the world when I was 27 days sober.

Getting comfortable with your sober self requires a social sacrifice. Those normal events you attended (drinky brunches, birthday parties, fantasy football drafts, weddings) must stop. Because if you go, you'll feel completely out of place, you'll be nervous, anxious....all those feelings that led you to abuse alcohol in the first place will come roaring back.

Alcoholics in the early days of sobriety like to fantasize that we'll pick up right where we left off - we'll still hit the same bars, hang with the same friends, and make the same mischief....without the booze. Alas, that's bullscratch.

The only way to give yourself a chance? Trust the system. Trust that staying away from gatherings that involve alcohol is better for you in the long run. Trust that you'll be able to see that down the road. Because you will see great results, as long as you're careful out there in the early days, months, and years of sobriety.

Edit: oh yeah, and zeldafan brought up a great point: keep your house booze-free, for crying out loud! And take down all those beer signs hanging above the couch, and maybe even ditch the wine glasses while you are at it. It helps!
Old 02-03-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

good stuff BigS