Notices

Recommendations on what I should ask a Doctor

Old 02-01-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recommendations on what I should ask a Doctor

I have not had health insurance for 8 years. So regardless whether I am sick or not I have not been to a doctor in all that time.

I have been an alcoholic for 30+ years. Periods of sobriety but nothing sticks for good. I know my health is suffering terribly.

Good news is I got a great plan yesterday! What is the first thing I should do? Get a physical? Blood work? Should I ask specifically for liver tests?

I am not asking for specific medical advice. I just want to know what I should do first?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, my goodness, good for you for taking the reins.

Just go. Let them decide what you need. They'll probably do blood work regardless, my yearly exams always include blood work. You'll be so relieved you've gone.

Call your doctor's office and tell them what you've written here, that's what they do - they recommend standard tests depending on your general health and past. They will have you fill out a comprehensive questionnaire about your past health issues and they'll take it from there.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Be completely honest about your drinking with your physician, ask for help. Let him/her order the appropriate tests. Ask about vitamins, the Dr might have recommendations on those. Great you have a plan and best to you!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

First off congrats seeing a Dr it really helps recovery just be honest and yourself & youl be fine
Old 02-01-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just be completely honest with your doctor about your drinking or anything else that's bothering you. It will allow them to run the appropriate tests and treat you to the best of their ability. That's what I did with my doctor and he knew exactly what to start watching and what to test.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can't remember where you are from KMT, but I am pretty sure it is the US. In which case you have insurance issues to contend with. I would just ask your doctor to do the maximum possible within the limits of availability. If there is anything you are worried about he should be able to legitimately ask for the relative exams.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My first visit to my Dr, I didn't know where the door was into the health centre, and then when the receptionist said my Dr would see me now, I had to ask, where do I go to get to their office, I hadn't been to my Dr in over 10 years.

Best just being honest, how much your drinking, that your intending to stop, and let them do the diagnosing and decisions on treatment, they're the professionals, but overall relax, they have seen and heard it all before!!

You can do this!!