Notices

4 Months Today

Old 02-01-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 Months Today

I skipped over the 3 month mark cause I didn't feel like I was in a good position at that point. I'm feeling a bit better a month forward frok there so I decided to post.

Today marks 4 months for me. Its pretty amazing that I've went this far with not only sobriety but everything else I've had going for me. I tackled a new school, moved into a new place twice, and a little of everything else in between. I don't know if its the 4 months mark, or this new early schedule, or the fact that I'm taking on a tough quarter that has given me some of my confidence back, or a combination of all these things, but I'm starting to see a shift in my outlook and attitude on things. It's not 100 percent by any means but it's definitely improving.

With the positive mindset I have noticed that craving have come back to a certain degree. When I was feeling like I was in a rut, I literally had no desire to drink. The desire to let my brain heal and feel good naturally was much stronger. Now that I'm feeling better I've had the thoughts of just picking up a few beers or smoking a bit of weed here and there. The desire to drink has been stronger tho maybe because I feel like weed messes my mindset and outlook on life more than alcohol does. I guess what I'm trying to say is weed is my DOC and part of me thinks drinking would be OK because it doesnt mess my mindset up like weed does. At the same time I know drinking doesn't have any benefits really, its not like I can get studies done while intoxicated. I know that it only offers a temporary "happiness" or fix to negative emotions. But when I see other people having some beers and socializing I can feel a bit excluded. Oh well I still havent drank but Im just being honest here.

Heres to 4 months and looking forward to better days.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Congrats on 4 months! That's really an accomplishment. Be careful with the AV though. It's pretty common to start feeling better and start thinking "Hey, maybe I'm not as bad as I thought and I can moderate a little" Believe me, it doesn't work.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very well done!
Alcohol will only being you down, I'm a student too a d trust me it won't do you any favours.
Whats the best thing about being sober you've noticed?
Old 02-01-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Congrats on 4 months! That's really an accomplishment. Be careful with the AV though. It's pretty common to start feeling better and start thinking "Hey, maybe I'm not as bad as I thought and I can moderate a little" Believe me, it doesn't work.
Very true.
I can moderate- just not forever, I always end up back where I started and then have to quit all over again.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on four months sober!
Old 02-01-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on taking control of your life. Four months is great!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on four sober months, soberish.

Wishing you success in your studies, too.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yay you, Soberish!!!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on four months, that is huge! I am sorry to hear that you are still facing cravings and tough moments but I do think it is relatively normal. I hope that with all you have learned in these four months one of the biggest thing is that drinking and smoking does nothing good for you and you are better off without both of those drugs in your life.
Stay strong and enjoy your accomplishments.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dyl71

Congratulations....... Keep it going!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Fantastic news Soberish Congratulations
Old 02-01-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

congrats on 4 months (and 3)

I know my 'cravings' lasted well into past 6 months. I also know that my desire to never drink again was more powerful than any cravings I had.

Don't ever cave in to the AV...
Old 02-01-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fantastic Soberish!!
Old 02-01-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 4 months soberish

yeah weed was my DOC too until I started drinking....pretty soon I had two drugs of choice and I was neck deep in both.

Like others have said I think thats a dangerous road, especially if you're drinking to cope, or to deal with feelings or stress.

You'd be better joining a gym - honestly

D
Old 02-01-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In response to a question here, I would have to say that the thing I like the most about sobriety is the ability to concentrate better. Its still not perfect but its improving.

I do have some decent control over my AV but it just scares me when I've got a part of my weekend free and the urge comes along mixed with a negative emotion and/or a crowd of people drinking and having a good time. The combination of these things can really make me ponder the thought of drinking. I guess I am aware of this if I'm writing is so I've just got to stray away from these things or know they are coming in advance and handle the situation appropriately.

And the funny thing about a gym membership is that I do have one here at my school, I've only went there 3 times although I was doing some running on my own time. My working out has been replaced with sleep lol. If I were to work out it can really wipe me out and with the minimal sleep ive been getting it hasnt been the best idea. I have been spacing out my eating more and have noticed some weight loss from it. I think that mixed in with less sleep may be helping my mood. I was sleeping 8 or 9 hours a day without a sleep a schedule befofe this quarter started and now im averaging 6 to 7 hour on a schedule. I can't really say for sure whats causing it, but ive been waking up with more energy and less anxiety.

I appreciate all the responses everyone!
Old 02-01-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

And the funny thing about a gym membership is that I do have one here at my school, I've only went there 3 times although I was doing some running on my own time. My working out has been replaced with sleep lol. If I were to work out it can really wipe me out and with the minimal sleep ive been getting it hasnt been the best idea. I have been spacing out my eating more and have noticed some weight loss from it. I think that mixed in with less sleep may be helping my mood. I was sleeping 8 or 9 hours a day without a sleep a schedule befofe this quarter started and now im averaging 6 to 7 hour on a schedule. I can't really say for sure whats causing it, but ive been waking up with more energy and less anxiety.
well you know better than anyone what works for you Soberish.

Exercise was good for me because it *did* wipe me out. I needed to think less, and rest more

Congrats again on 4 months.

D