SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   6 months today :) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/384206-6-months-today.html)

SobrieTee 02-01-2016 05:49 AM

6 months today :)

Six months ago I walked into a detox facility and pathetically asked for help. I could barely stand because I was so dehydrated. I couldn't even sign my name on the paperwork because I was shaking. When the intake doctor asked me to walk across the room, and stick out my hands, I fell over. The first day I wasn't even able to get out of bed to make it to meals, so they had to bring the meals to my room. I couldn't stomach food anyway.

The second day was a bit better - I could walk to meals but still shook when using my fork. My heart rate slowed enough so I could sleep. I went to an AA meeting they organized for us. My brain was really foggy, but I listened.

The third day I was almost like a new person. I went to all meals and group activities. I was actually able to read the books I brought with me (I knew I would get bored) without double vision. I finally took a shower and started to see the "old me" again.

Days 4 and 5, I quickly improved. I slept, showered regularly, ate my meals, and read my books. My heart rate and temperature were normal. I slept a lot, but I'm sure that was because of the medication.

I am happy to say I have not had a sip of alcohol since. Sobriety has been difficult at times, but it is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I've grown more in the past 6 months than I have in my entire 30 years on this planet. Thanks to everyone at SR for the support, and the role you have played in helping me stay sober!!

Dad23 02-01-2016 05:52 AM

Awesome job! Congratulations on 6 months! Don't look back.

dogslover2016 02-01-2016 06:00 AM

Congratulations! What an inspiring story.

What else has worked for you in staying sober? I'm always interested in hearing from others as I am early in my sobriety, day 16.

SobrieTee 02-01-2016 06:12 AM

Thanks, guys! DL, to answer your question, I changed a LOT of things about my life this time around. This was actually my second time in inpatient detox - obviously the first time did not stick. I moved home for a bit. I don't think moving can necessarily solve a drinking problem, but in my case, I needed to be around family for support. I did an outpatient rehab program, which I will actually be completing this Wednesday. I joined a running club and signed up for some races. I go to meetings several times a week. I do a short meditation every day, and I journal my experience (I haven't shared the journal with anyone - it's just a way for me to express my feelings). I have two dogs, and since I had been a pretty crappy parent while drinking, I try to spend as much time as I can taking them hiking, swimming, running, etc. Also, in the first few months, I avoided any and all situations where alcohol might be involved. I had tried for years to get sober and I knew any temptation would get me.

Congrats on 16 days!! Keep it up! :)

IronPhoenix 02-01-2016 06:29 AM

Awesome! Congrats - keep it going!!

stevepearce 02-01-2016 07:18 AM

Fantastic SobrieTree ! You are an inspiration ! :You_Rock_

least 02-01-2016 07:21 AM

Congrats on six months sober! :scoregood

C23 02-01-2016 07:25 AM

CONGRATS!!!

I can't wait to be there as well.

ccam1973 02-01-2016 07:26 AM

Fantastic job!! Keep up the good work.