Notices

Getting Serious

Old 01-31-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting Serious

Ok, I want to make the best of the program I'm in. There are people coming in and not staying, plenty of folks not staying sober. It's disconcerting.
I don't want to mess around. This is my shot. If I'm gonna be sober then I want to do the work to be in recovery or whatever we call it. I want to be clean and happy. Please tell me how to begin. I roll my eyes at big book and AA but I know I'm willful. I want to surrender and do what I'm told for a change.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Hiyas. I'm too new to have much advice, but having a plan, and the determination to make each day a sober day, is as important as selecting a recovery approach -- or selection of approaches.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Giving up alcohol is hard. But you can only take care of yourself and not those who aren't staying with a program.
I have been to AA and have seen it help many people, but it just wasn't for me. Reading the posts on here and hearing others' advice and experiences has been the key for me. But, Thumpalumpacus suggests, you have to find what is right for you.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AA didn't work for me at all.
I find this website helps a ton ( read EVERYTHING) and help other people too.
Weekender thread is my main thing that keeps me sober.
Also, go outside and exercise- even just a walk.
Always picture the type of person you want to be- you can't be that with alcohol.
Work on those things, start doing things you always wanted to do but never have ( get an awesome body working out, pick up guitar, start writing a novel- anything you want!)
Thats my advice.
Not much- but it helps me
Xoxo
Old 01-31-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

with respect, the issue here is not AA or not... the issue is what you're prepared to do to stay sober, press.

The bottom line is do not drink - ever - no matter what.

To help make that easier and more achievable - make a plan, find support and use it, make the changes you need to make to support your desire to be sober.

plan guidelines here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

don't worry about other people and what they may be doing or not doing - this is your project - your personal journey.

If you don't want to drink, you don't have to

D
Old 01-31-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can do it! Whatever you do continue to maintain that open mind. Need to be willing to do whatever it takes and like Dee said, the most important part is to not take that drink no matter what and keep coming around here. If you feel an urge coming on recognize it and come on here and post or message one of us. Glad your here.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Maybe because I'm new, I don't have any desire to drink. I think I'm just done. I don't even feel like I need the rest of the program I'm in. That's prob naive. I am exercising. It definitely helps.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
Maybe because I'm new, I don't have any desire to drink. I think I'm just done. I don't even feel like I need the rest of the program I'm in. That's prob naive. I am exercising. It definitely helps.
I feel like that too- until around day 10.
Keep with your program xo
Old 01-31-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile

Don't worry about it, just stay sober. I have been feeling "done" for weeks now but am buoyant about being sober. It's all very taxing in the beginning. This is the beginning.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

What D said, And congratulations to everyone beginning thier journey know SR is here 24h a day with shoulders to lean on 365 days a year