Notices

8 years ... Blew it

Old 02-01-2016, 03:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You still have those 8 yrs. myself? Did the same thing in '97. I've been sober a little over half of the 41 yrs I've been drinking/battling. We all want forever-sobriety and we may well achieve it but for now getting back on the horse is key. We are the majority...just look at all the replies. Be good to yourself. Peace.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Lofty nice to meet you
Old 02-01-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

As Thump said, you're actually kind of an inspiration Lofty. The most I've ever managed is like six months. The outcomes of slipping up are stressful, I know that, but how awesome is it that you went that long in the first place, and how much wisdom and skills did you gain during that time to make the next attempt all that more successful?
Old 02-01-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Same here. Blew a 2 year sobriety By just 'getting beers'.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Lofty. Sorry you find yourself here under these circumstances, but glad you found us. 8 years is an incredible accomplishment. You sound like a very strong willed person. Use that will to break this cycle, what ever it takes, no drinking. Just focus on today. you absolutely can get your life back.

Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing your story.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Lofty. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 02-01-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the stories and words of encouragement.

Got through Day 1. Usual depression and physically don't feel great and had a bad nights sleep.

Took another day off as I still can't face work. Will use Day 2 to hopefully feel physically better but also to get my head straight. I tend to read forums and books which I'll do today as well as make plans to combat trigger points that will inevitably come my way in the coming month.

Thanks Again
Old 02-01-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I wonder if I could drink normally after 8 years !

I had the same thought after 5 1/2 years. My end result was much like your story.

Now I'm approaching 6 years again, and this time I think (hope) I'm a little smarter.

One suggestion would be to join the "Class of February 2016" sobriety group over in the "Newcomer's Daily Support" section of this website. Since today is February 1st, one will be starting shortly.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

This might sound strange but I found your story inspirational - you really turned your situation on it's head with getting super-fit and emigrating etc the last time, two things I'm trying to work towards too. You also have a loving family to help and seem really determined.

Best of luck with everything!
Old 02-01-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Dammmm Lofty. It's posts like these we all need to read. It's a shame it happened but I appreciate your willingness to share it. This is a good reinforcement for all, new and old alike to be ever mindful that it could happen to anyone. And that we are never free and clear. It IS a lifetime journey.

Thanks for posting. There are plenty on this board to bounce things off of if you are so inclined.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:55 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks again guys ... Comments are really helping me realize (as well as feeling crap) that I was so stupid to give up my sobriety after all this time.

On the up side ... Very few people know I've been drinking as I did it secretly. So there is still a sober me out there according to the world so I just now need to BE Sober.

Took a second day off work today. Read books, read this forum, reflected and even went to the gym and knocked out a 4km and ate healthy for 2days. So I'm feeling very determined and actually relieved that I'm back on the path.

Plan on a walk tonight and try running again tmrw.

Bring it on ��
Old 02-02-2016, 01:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff
Old 02-02-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

I think exercise is such a great idea. I'd forgotten how good of a stress and anxiety reliever it actually is! I'm so glad to be getting back to my old self - my real self. I hope you have the same experience. Stay strong!
Old 02-02-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

If I may...
Even when I was still a drunk I would hide my drinking from my wife. She knew I was a drunk. But she didn't know how much of a drunk I really was.
My neighbor commented that he NEVER saw me without a beer in my hand. But he never saw the two bottles of hi-test I had stashed in places that were hidden from others but me. Yeah, they knew I was always drinking beer, but they didn't know that I took a pull on a bottle of vodka every time I opened a beer.
We keep secrets even when our secret isn't so secret.

Be careful out there folks.