Notices

Can someone share their miracle?

Old 09-15-2004, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Can someone share their miracle?

God this sucks.

I'm having a rough day today, it seems like everything is going wrong at once. A lot of little stuff that is adding up to me wanting a drink, and trying really hard to think positively and think of how I've avoided it for 24 days now and remember how $hitty it feels when the high wears off. But right now i'd do anything to feel good for at least a little while. I know that alcohol is not the answer, and I want to stay sober until the "miracle" happens; I'm just not sure what the miracle i'm looking for is. Can anyone share with me PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE about the miracle that they experienced? When, where, what happened, how did you know it was a miracle?

I'm determined to stay sober long enough for a miracle to happend, but that seems like its so far off. Especially when i don't know what it is I'm looking for.

thanks,

bea
Old 09-15-2004, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

The miracle has already happened. Now by staying sober you will be able to look back one day and see it. Give up and you won't get to see it.

A seed gets planted, it gets water and sunshine. Days go by and one day you wake to see a beautiful flower has opened.

I see that flower already. One day at a time and on one day you will wake to see how beautiful your life can be without the drinking.

Congratulations on the time you are collecting.
Stay strong and deal with the moment. The miracle will show when the time is right.
Know that it does get easier.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Don't look now, but you're in the middle of your miracle this very minute Bea. You're questioning an urge to drink.
And you're looking for a way to fight the urge until it passes.
I hope that's not too simplistic an answer for you, and that you'll also fight the urge to throw a stapler or a chair at me
I've been told, and I also experienced it, that the third and fourth week in early sobriety can be difficult ones. I still get the urge for a drink sometimes, a few months sober now. I know people with multiple years that do as well.
There comes a moment, I'm convinced, for all of us, when we realize that a drink simply won't give us what we're looking for. That was the miracle for me.

Last edited by Dan; 09-15-2004 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My miracle occured about 5 years ago. I was at my wits end. My mom was drinking heavy and the whole family was coming to me and telling me that they were there for me and that they wanted to help my mom get sober. They just didn't understand that they couldn't do a thing to get her sober. It was a very trying time for me. One night, I muttered under my breath "Guardian angel, please help me wake up a 6:00 tommorrow!" I was just being sarcastic and didn't actually mean it!!

Well, that night, I was dreaming. I had dreamt that my bestfriend told me that when she passed, she would be my guardian angel. I woke up very groggy, like I was still dreaming, and looked toward my ceiling. I saw 2 foggy, white figuires in the corner. All I could do was reach up, with tears in my eyes, and say thank you. I laid back down and then I really woke up. I assumed it was a very vivid dream. However, I looked at the clock at it was exactly 6:00 am.

Now, that was just the beginning. I went about my normal day and just about forgot about the "dream". Out of the blue, one of my co-workers, with whom I am very close, said to me. "You need to get out. You need to do what is best for you. Go away to college. You need to be on your own and decide your own life." I had been deciding where I would pursue my bachelors after I earned my associates from the Junior College. Then, he dropped it and we went about our day. It was like something took him over for a brief moment. My dream hadn't completely left me. That night, I went to have my nails and hair done. Before I even sat down, my friend ran over and said "You need to go to this chapel. It is the most beautiful and serene place I have ever been. I lit a candle for you today." She had been going through a rough time with her then husband and the two of us often shared our woes about living with an addict. That was it, I told her and the woman that cuts my hair about my angelic encounter. They piped up and hugged me. They said I was starting my journey.

That night, I went home and my mom was a raving drunk. It was terrible. I then realized that my two angels manifested themselves in both of my dear friends. Later that week, I gave my friend (the one that told me about the chapel) my portion of the deposit on a condo. I was moving out and starting my own life.

Now, I have no doubt that I have two guardian angels that are always looking out for me. I know that whenever I am going to fall, they, along with my HP will catch me and lead me in the right direction.

That it my miracle. It may sound like I am reaching but it keeps me going when times get tough. I hope in inspires you.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There comes a moment, I'm convinced, for all of us, when we simply realize that a drink simply won't give us what we're looking for. That was the miracle for me.

He said it! Thanks for the thread. Its great!
Old 09-15-2004, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

MY MIRACLE IS SITTING HERE,RIGHT NOW STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW.
THAT MY FRIENDS IS A MIRACLE. ....ted
Old 09-15-2004, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Look in the mirror and you will see a miracle . An addict not using . I went from someone who was pretty much ready to check out to a person who has been able to stay clean a day at a time , reunite with my kids , make new friends and have a program in my life today that I love . I will never forget the first time I laughed in sobriey A MIRACLE ...hang in there ! Its so worth it . Trish
Old 09-15-2004, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by miraclen2003
I will never forget the first time I laughed in sobriey A MIRACLE ...hang in there ! Its so worth it . Trish

Thank you for that reminder... something as simple as a laugh... a real laugh at a silly little thing and the joy of such a small thing as well.

A respect earned and given by teen sons. Now that is a miracle all right.
A total life change for the better. From something as simple as a realistic laugh from "real" feelings to the repair and growth of my marriage. So many miracles that to even try to list them all would take years.
Sober is better for sure.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Castaway

I'm determined to stay sober long enough for a miracle to happend, but that seems like its so far off. Especially when i don't know what it is I'm looking for.
Hi Bea,
You've already gotten excellent responses here so I'm just going to go in a different direction with you. Maybe what you're feeling is still part of the withdrawal process even though you've been sober awhile. You know the miracle for you is that you not drink. Now in comes the negative side muddling your thoughts up and confusing you. You're tired, you've had a crappy day, you're prime to relapse.
Maybe sit down, take some deep breaths, take a walk, eat something nutritious, or other activity to give yourself a rest. Call a sponsor or good friend or relative. Probably if it were me, I'd go hide my head in a pillow and try to take it a minute at a time. You can do it and we're here, so you're not alone in your fight.
Hugs, Sandy
Old 09-15-2004, 08:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

Your miracle IS in progress bea hang tough k? *hugs*
Old 09-15-2004, 09:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The miracle for me was admitting and accepting that I was an alcoholic. Believe me it was tough for me admitting to a problem like that. I sat in outpatient treatment every night for six weeks, and every night learned more about the disease, effective coping mechanisms, the value of continual support by attending AA meetings and understanding and identifying the process of relapse.

I also had the support of my family, but I truly feel that the only people that could empathize with my recovery were other alcoholics - can you all feel the powerful bond/understanding?

As others have stated, each sober day is a miracle and it does get better over time, as the years of alcohol abuse slowly dissipate.

I really respect what Dan said above: Hang in there and really question and work through any urges - that is another miracle!!

Dave
Old 09-16-2004, 12:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all in for your words , and know that I really do take what you say to heart.

That being stated, I know that me being sober today is a miracle. Last night I did my laundry, cooked myself dinner, and just stuff to keep my mind off things. Then I woke up today with all the worries of yesterday and all the upcoming things i'm going to have to deal with just weighing me down. I know drinking is not the answer. My problems will be there and seem a million times worse when I sober up. Sometimes it just feels like doing this one day/hour/minute at a time is SO MUCH WORK. Does it get easier?

I'm deeply in debt, I currently hate my job, my dad is getting progressively more sick, the rest of the members of my family are just bad, bad people, and all of my co-workers keep asking me whats wrong and if i'm ok and i have the irresistble urge to throw things at them. I'm going to stop whining now. I know that my problems are trivial compared to so many people, and I have to stop feeling sorry for myself.

I need to go outside and scream.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

During active addiction addiction I disappointed my father so much. He was my everything as an only child, it was just me an him growing up. I remember that day so clearly, when after a relapse, he said "don't call me if your on your death bed, don't call me if your in jail, I have no son from this point foward, good luck." God met me when I hung up that phone and he got me to a meeting, that's a miracle. I'm clean today, that's a miracle. I have a better relationship now based on trust and honesty with my father than I've ever had, that's a miracle. My father wants what I have, spiritually, that's a miracle to the program of NA. My father said thank god for NA, because if it wasn't for this program, I wouldn't have a son, that's a miracle. I now help people unconditionally and love them until they can love themselves, that's a true miracle.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hey Bea--I hate to sound like a broken record, but have you been to a meeting yet?

Love ya and hope you are feeling better--
Old 09-16-2004, 02:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

I know drinking is not the answer. My problems will be there and seem a million times worse when I sober up
Yep. I remember that. Clearly. And I had to develop coping skills to deal with the anxiety and depression that had been hidden by alcohol and drugs for all that time. The problems build and wait. The longer you hide, the worse it'll be. I'm sorry, but that's my experience.

Sometimes it just feels like doing this one day/hour/minute at a time is SO MUCH WORK. Does it get easier?
It is worth that one day/hour/minute! Getting used to not being drunk/high and developing coping skills is worth it. And yes, it does get easier.... some ppl take a short time, some take a longer time. But yes, it does get easier.

The miracle? Its been said...... look in the mirror. An addict/alkie not using is a miracle. A bigger miracle, the one I look at the most? Me, not wanting alcohol or drugs.

And listen to Sandy. She has some great suggestions.

Wanting to scream? Why not scream your heart out into a pillow.

And..... keep coming here, reading and posting!
Old 09-16-2004, 07:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Staying sober in itself is a true miracle!!
Old 09-16-2004, 10:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

Yes it is. Facing life's twist and turn's and remaining sober is a miracle.